Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 14:54   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Why I just want to GO! : Gunman goes berserk

In todays news: "Nine people are dead and five have been hospitalised after a shooting at a busy mall in Omaha, USA"

I didn't read the whole article, I don't want to. I don't have the capacity to feel anymore of mans inhumanity to man. Killings, blowing up babies for religion, hate, terror, shootings from bullying, kids in school, misfits in shopping malls, seperated parents, snipers in car trunks, tanks, planes and people living in dustbowls because they hate.

Last time I was sailing for a year I didn't hear any news from Auistralia at all... it just doesnt figure in the international news.

This time when I go it will be weather reports only. The news, national, international and local, can go shove itself!

I think I feel better now I got that off my chest.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 17:09   #2

I'm with you, that is the absolute main reason why I am very motivated to get my boat and get out on the water. I'm not saying that there aren't troubles on the waters and on foreign shores, but not likely since the population is far less.

I realize that there are idiots and jerks in every facet of life and they especially love to hang around docks and marinas, but again with a boat you can just sail off. In a house, you are land locked and stuck. I just think that a person has more control of their own destiny when on a boat (severe weather in deep ocean excluded.LOL).

I've just heard way too many stories about idiot council fining people for unkempt lawns, crazy taxes on property and so on.. And homes are too easy to break into. From my friends that live aboard and have own boats, they "almost" never hear of anything such things because I assume that anyone who wants to steal anything are usually too lazy. Meaning, they don't even know where the marinas are. They wouldn't even know what to do with marine equipment. And usually it's too much work to drive all the way to a marina and do such nonsense.. (Again this is my opinion from other people's experiences)

What are other people's experiences that my either confirm or contradict my ideas.. Would love to hear them..

Cheers!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 20:41   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The gunman had - take your pick) - a) an abusive childhood b) bad mid-term test scores c) no dates in 6 years

The motive for the crime has become the defense of the crime. Completely nutso.

In singapore - Is the defendant sane? Yes? Hang him.

My 10 year old takes taxis on his own, runs around the the sailing club night and day and is completely safe.

The western world is nuts.

I don't read the news either.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 21:09   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Humans are not very evolved from the monkeys in the trees. Our violent tendencies are genetic and will always be with us. The only way to escape the violence would be to not be around any humans, and I am not willing to do this.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 21:21   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
So, why do you want to dump this stuff on the forum????

Everywhere in the world this stuff is happening, it's just the modern world has better communications. Look at Darfur or Sudan if you want to moan.
Old 05-12-2007, 21:23   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
If there is some vague tie to cruising (the need to get away?!?) then lets keep it on that topic - no need to be bashing places or types of people. That isn't what this forum is for - If you feel the need to comment on these NON-Boating related events, please feel free to find a forum where that would be appropriate.

Thank you.

Thomas
Cruiser's Forum Moderator
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:34   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
If there is some vague tie to cruising (the need to get away?!?) then lets keep it on that topic - no need to be bashing places or types of people. That isn't what this forum is for - If you feel the need to comment on these NON-Boating related events, please feel free to find a forum where that would be appropriate.

Thank you.

Thomas
Cruiser's Forum Moderator
I think the tie to cruising is being able to escape from these violent incidents by getting in a boat and sailing off over the horizon, effectively escaping. That's how I read MarkJ's post.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:58   #8

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I too would be interested in such a thread...I live between Boston and NY, and I am concerned, not freaked out, but cncerned about the direction we are heading. I run one of the largest food distribution warehouses in the country. We are prime targets, we take great care to prepare for the worst.... Sorry to go on and on, I know this is not cruising realated, except that one of the reasons for preparing for the cruise suround some of the things we have discussed here.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:03   #9

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Mike & Paula - I hear ya! The new thread is over yonder:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...val-11416.html

Cheers!
Steve