Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2019, 12:00   #346

Re: “Why Most Published Research Findings Are False”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Hello Weavis, and all the other long-suffering moderators,

I'm wondering if there might be a way to let at least one Climate Change thread continue.

With respect, the level of real CC debate on CF has always been pretty low-grade. Nothing has really been resolved in these threads, not much new or insightful information has been provided, nobody's budged an inch; at their most civil these CC threads are still just people justifying their own beliefs and not engaging with any presented material.

For the majority of us, boating is our solace and refuge from the world; it's the ONE thing that presumably unites us on CF. I think that CF should not be a place for inflicting our non-boating political biases upon each other. There's plenty of other places to go where politics is the main course.
Old 16-05-2019, 12:04   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
perhaps you could become the MMGW = natural cycles debate moderator .
That's very kind of you, but I'm a long way from being the best pick for a moderator. Twice I've been privately censured by the mods, with the threat of being booted from CF completely, and I am no longer allowed to create "Northwest Passage - 20xx" threads, even though though my original intent was for legitimate discussion of same.
Old 16-05-2019, 12:12   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
With respect, the level of real CC debate on CF has always been pretty low-grade. Nothing has really been resolved in these threads, not much new or insightful information has been provided, nobody's budged an inch; at their most civil these CC threads are still just people justifying their own beliefs and not engaging with any presented material.

For the majority of us, boating is our solace and refuge from the world; it's the ONE thing that presumably unites us on CF. I think that CF should not be a place for inflicting our non-boating political biases upon each other. There's plenty of other places to go where politics is the main course.
Then why do you participate

Personally, I resonate with john61ct

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I have no problem being called an alarmist.

We as a species desperately need 2.3% of the world population to as quickly as possible become lifelong Paul Reveres.

We are long past time when individual action has any more effect than rearranging deck chairs stops the boat from going down.

Even action at the anachronistic "national" level is ineffective.

That does not mean we should be discouraged, just that the measures required - we need to do whatever it takes - are far greater than what we've put in place to say prevent wars.

The time will come when the Green New Deal, Extinction Rebellion, Fridays for Future, all the worldwide movements led by the young, will be seen as piss-weak half-measures, catering to piddly concerns like GDP, jobs, wealth inequality, immigration/migration and national sovereignty all just ridiculously small bumps in the road.

Finland's new generation of climate heroes https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-eu...climate-heroes

From Uganda to Tokyo: Meet the Kids of the Global Climate Strike Movement https://www.vice.com/en_in/article/b...trike-movement

Watch, or at least read Greta Thunberg
https://www.lifegate.com/people/news...-thunberg-rome

You don't listen to the science because you are only interested in solutions that will enable you to carry on like before. Like now. And those answers don't exist anymore. Because you did not act in time.

Avoiding climate breakdown will require cathedral thinking. We must lay the foundation while we may not know exactly how to build the ceiling.

Sometimes we just simply have to find a way. The moment we decide to fulfil something, we can do anything. And I'm sure that the moment we start behaving as if we were in an emergency, we can avoid climate and ecological catastrophe. Humans are very adaptable: we can still fix this. But the opportunity to do so will not last for long. We must start today. We have no more excuses.
Old 16-05-2019, 12:22   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Then why do you participate

Because the denier crap that often gets posted and shared shouldn't go unchallenged. That was the original reason. That, and the wholesale slagging of scientists and the scientific process. Now it's just a bad habit...

But seriously, why should a boating forum be yet another home for political debate?
Old 16-05-2019, 12:22   #350
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

if you and Sailoar were to not post I bet the thread would either get back on track or a natural death.
Old 16-05-2019, 12:23   #351

Boat: Valiant 42

I have actually met the guys as JPL that measured the methane and other gas/ice materials on Jupiter’s moons. They are convinced it is not from an organic source.

This is sort of the age old chicken and egg question. In this case, we know that organic materials existed in the solar system before organic life emerged.
Old 16-05-2019, 12:27   #352

Quote:
if you and Sailoar were to not post I bet the thread would either get back on track or a natural death.

How about we just ban deniers and talk about ways to tackle the very real problems that exist?
Old 16-05-2019, 12:29   #353
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
How about we just ban deniers and talk about ways to tackle the very real problems that exist?
there it is the personal attack that always happens when one side realises they have lost but are unwilling to admit it to themselves
Old 16-05-2019, 12:32   #354

Boat: Valiant 42
“Why Most Published Research Findings Are False”

Quote:

I agree with LE. Let the CC stuff be banned is my vote. It accomplishes nothing. I guess 99.9% of lurkers don’t read a word of this drivel. I know from PM discussions that some prolific posters to CC threads are on several ignore lists. The most vociferous CC advocates are actually driving people to the opposing view in some cases. I also think it does real harm to the CC issue by having these public stooge fests.

If mostly what you want is to talk CC this is not the right forum.
Old 16-05-2019, 12:43   #355

Quote:
If one side of any debate were to quit, than the debate would collapse.
Old 16-05-2019, 12:45   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I agree with LE. Let the CC stuff be banned is my vote. It accomplishes nothing. I guess 99.9% of lurkers don’t read a word of this drivel. I know from PM discussions that some prolific posters to CC threads are on several ignore lists. The most vociferous CC advocates are actually driving people to the opposing view in some cases. I also think it does real harm to the CC issue by having these public stooge fests.

If mostly what you want is to talk CC this is not the right forum.
Why ban it? No one complains about the HUGE joke thread. It certainly has nothing to do with cruising. If you find the CC discussion so distasteful why do you continue to participate?
Old 16-05-2019, 13:04   #357
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And while decisions are being pondered by the management, let me just say,

I can see locking threads, **if** you really think discussion of such topics really should be suppressed,

but just silently deleting my ever-more mainstream "alarmist" POV posts

goes far beyond "objective" moderation policies wrt what you see as politics, is in effect being "political" yourself as a business,

actively taking the right-wing denialist / FF lobby's side.
Old 16-05-2019, 13:08   #358
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

With 355 contributions, and 8,525 views, I suspect this thread is, at least somewhat, entertaining (if sometimes frustrating) to a fair number of CF members.

I hope it remains civil, and unclosed.

Old 16-05-2019, 13:16   #359
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
With 355 contributions, and 8,525 views, I suspect this thread is, at least somewhat, entertaining (if sometimes frustrating) to a fair number of CF members.

I hope it remains civil, and unclosed.
Sigh. That is not the issue. The issue is boating and no politics. It is failing..
Old 16-05-2019, 13:26   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Sigh. That is not the issue. The issue is boating and no politics. It is failing..
I would respectfully disagree that the lack of boating is really the issue. The joke thread has virtually nothing to do with boating, yet is happily tolerated.

I would also respectfully suggest that politics has actually played a very minor role in the CC threads on CF. It's the issue itself that is contentious, and most of our discussions revolve either about the science of CC, or what can or can't be done about the train wreck (or lack thereof) that we're headed towards.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, research