Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 16:09   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
"I'm just too buzy with....stuff to go sailing". Why people get boats to relax and have fun and rarely use them I don't know. Must be more of a norm though as I went out almost every weekend this year and at least 50% of the boats I never saw off their mooring or out of their slip. Maybe this is the real reason there are so many boats for sale.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 16:14   #17
DWT

Quote:
So its like the twilight zone..... Hotel California on water.... you may sail in but you can not leave!

Mark,

Now that's funny!
Enjoy your trip.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 16:21   #18

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
"The starlings have nested & laid eggs under my mainsail cover"

A true story ...
And a practical example of natural selection at work.

So how tardy was the yard in doing my job this spring?
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 16:49   #19

Boat: Beneteau 393
Everytime I think about going out the weather is too rainy/sunny/windy/calm with no wind! Or the forecast 3 days from now says it might rain...are you SURE you wanna go out for a weekender??

My favorite is "it tales so long to finally get underway that it isn't worth it today... It's already 11:30!!!!

This thread does make me feel bad through- it has been almost 6 weeks since we last went out. The wife had sports-related surgery, though, so our excuse is pretty good! We'll hopefully be back on the water next weekend to try out the new bottom paint!

GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:52   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Not an excuse. I have had that happen 3 week in a row!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger.waite View Post
"The starlings have nested & laid eggs under my mainsail cover"

A true story ...
And a practical example of natural selection at work.

So how tardy was the yard in doing my job this spring?
One morning, part way into a cruise with my wife semi-asleep below my feet (aft cabin) I bellowed "what the HELL was she thinking!" My wife burrowed further binto her pillow, she recounted later. In fact, I was talking to the bird that had built a nest in the midst of my boom which has - you guessed it - internal reefing lines. I had just dumped 2 eggs on my shirt and was not amused.

I had to reef the old way and hose it out days later.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:14   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
So, were the eggs scrambled, sunny side up, or poached?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
One morning, part way into a cruise with my wife semi-asleep below my feet (aft cabin) I bellowed "what the HELL was she thinking!" My wife burrowed further binto her pillow, she recounted later. In fact, I was talking to the bird that had built a nest in the midst of my boom which has - you guessed it - internal reefing lines. I had just dumped 2 eggs on my shirt and was not amused.

I had to reef the old way and hose it out days later.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:44   #22

Boat: a sailing boat
Cash. Gimme another million and I am offshore rather than posting ;-)))

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 13:49   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Just as bad, or even worse, are the people motoring around with their sail covers on in a 15 knot breeze. They actually come down and left the dock, but still are not sailing. I have never understood this, but I see it all the time.
When my dad was buying his boat, I was there when we took it out to test the sails. There was a few knots of breeze and the owner immediately put a reef in the main. As we sat going 2-3 knots he remarked "this is just how she likes it!" This was a Beneteau 35s5 that had previously been raced very hard. I guess sailing is frightening for some people but having a sailboat gives them the illusion of being close to nature?

I have to admit that with the boat I'm currently co-owning...the thought of a 1.5 hour drive, getting the genoa out of the dock locker and hanking it on, preparing everything to go, then returning, emptying the porta potty, topping off the tanks (no deck fills), and so forth has made me not want to go out for the weekend. Takes about 5-6 hours to get some food/ice at the store, get there, and get it ready to sail. And the wood/coal stove doesn't work worth a damn so not much fun this time of the year.
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 14:18   #24

Boat: MJM 50 Z
What is the point?

So the answer is... many sailors are really power boaters at heart and don't know it!

I do like sailing but just have a thing about... arriving.

Boat now, go as far as you can, be alive and see this place.

I have met sailors that have traveled up the coast as far as we routinely go but they are old or dead now and stay home.

There are adventurers and there are dreamers and wana-bees, what are you?
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 14:35   #25

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Most of last summer and this, it was boat still needs work, No crew, lousy weather, or personally no time available to go out. Usually a combination of the 4. I did manage to get out twice with Sabre Dance in 2008, but she's a heavy boat and the winds were pretty flukey. This year it was Espina, and I spent most of the summer working on her, then it was crew/time/weather. I got out only twice this summer. But both times were in weather rather worse than I'd have liked for a first trial sail so it was a bit un-nerving. However we survived, Espie performed like a champ and we had a blast in 25-30 knot winds.

Next summer it is my intention to start going out alone. I used to singlehand, but was a bit timid with a larger heavier boat. That is about to come to an end. I am going to spend a lot of time out next summer and get my confidence back to where its supposed to be. What ever work needs doing is now no longer a barrier to getting off the dock. It can be done at my leisure, and will no longer be allowed as an excuse.

I am not going to be held back by the miserable 4 any longer. No more excuses.

Sabre
27 days n a wake up.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 14:41   #26

Boat: Cascade
For those of us that are not livaboards but weekend warriors it’s important to have a simple transition to getting on the boat and going that Friday night after work. The more you can leave on the boat the less you carry up and down the dock!

I understand you are talking about heading out for months but..

I think we have it pretty down packed with each member of the family performing some responsible duties.

Kids row the dinghy over and secure it.
The admiral and I switch off on: engine checks, seacocks, sailcovers etc…

We only have a couple small bags and we go..

It takes about 30-45 min….

I think it’s important to give the kids lots responsibility and never yell at the family!… It will destroy the weekend instantly.

A friend of my wife said she stopped going out on their boat because the skipper always yelled at them!
Old 05-11-2009, 16:26   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
The ocean has been crossed on a row boat and the coast cruised in Kayaks. Next excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Cash. Gimme another million and I am offshore rather than posting ;-)))

b.
... please.

It is always better to cruise with what you have, within some reason. Much experience is gained.

If it is big enough to keep in a marina, it is big enough.
Old 05-11-2009, 17:23   #28

Boat: Peterson 46
Yes. All well and good, but dont leave with bananas, when it rains or at night (there are creek monsters about- dont believe me - then row across a river at night with traffic or crocs about. You will believe me then!)
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 17:58   #29

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Well I don't think it pays to be too judgemental. I know a man who has had a lovely timber S and S in the marina for years. As far as I know, it has only over moved to the slip to be antifouled etc, and that's a very sort distance - like a few metres. Nonetheless, he's a very nice fellow, and his boat is in Bristol condition. He loves working on it and it shines. He's enjoying himself, and likes to talk about his boat and how the design is a great sea boat etc., despite the fact that it never leaves its berth. He's having a very nice time. Let him be.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 18:31   #30

Boat: Peterson 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Well I don't think it pays to be too judgemental. I know a man who has had a lovely timber S and S in the marina for years. As far as I know, it has only over moved to the slip to be antifouled etc, and that's a very sort distance - like a few metres. Nonetheless, he's a very nice fellow, and his boat is in Bristol condition. He loves working on it and it shines. He's enjoying himself, and likes to talk about his boat and how the design is a great sea boat etc., despite the fact that it never leaves its berth. He's having a very nice time. Let him be.
None of us can make judgements of other boaties. We are all nutters! Thats the common thread.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote