Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 05:45   #1

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea
Wild times in St. Thomas

Hi everyone,
Just some info of interest. I'm anchored in Long Bay, St. Thomas, right up by Yacht Haven Grand. We are sailing all over the place because the winds go from near zero to 25 knots then back to light and varibale. My boat is a 28' 15000 lb full keel cruiser. I just had a gust that must have put me over to 30 degrees/ Coffee, silverware, pillows, cloths and most everything ended upon the other side of the boat including me. In 40 years of sailing have never experienced a knock down at anchor....it is wild here today.
Still trying to read the terms and conditions on my E-ticket.

Gary
Old 07-03-2009, 06:57   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up

May you have a wonderful 'day after' what sounds like a long long day at anchor....

My friend once told me the best cruisers have the shortest memories for bad days...

As I am sure you know, it will pass. Hang in there

(Note: after 40 years of sailing, I am thinking offering advice on what to do would be more of an insult then a comfort... )
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:30   #3

Not a bad day per-say but a wild one. At least my anchor is probably halfway to china! haven't budged an inch.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:32   #4

Gary, desperate attempt at sympathy. Bouncing around at anchor in a 28 ft boat. Now you could get some peace at a slip, but they'd charge you for the eight feet (36 overall ? 42?) that Hess didn't choose to fill in.

Yes, this is pure jealousy speaking. Hope all is well
gdecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:34   #5

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Yet another reason to avoid St Thomas like the plague. (There are so many) The wind funnels through the cut and can really be obnoixious. I was there many years ago when a cruise ship got caught in a bad wind while trying to dock at the cruise terminal without tug assistance and swept half of the anchorage. Not pretty.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:33   #6

Antares,
They won't allow cruise ships in the harbor now when the are any tropical systems around because of that. And they are required to have a tug in anything over 30 sustained.
I have lived here on the hook for years and really enjoy it....just stinky weather today. It happens.
Just thought I would give a glimpse into life in paradise....it's not perfect after all.
Now to go fix my %#@#$ bilge pump.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Gary, I lived there once for about a year-near Sub Base (on land) - beautiful land- but as a young man in my mid 20s I was shocked at how corrupt the officials were and even more how strong racial Prejudice against white people there was- I grew up in south Florida so I experienced racial Prejudice before but never directed at me- it was a real eye opener and a good lesson on how it felt to have people hate you for no other reason except your color.
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 14:05   #8

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Gary,
That was one of my dream destinations. After reading the online newspaper, I think it is as bad as New York City.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 15:03   #9

There is racism, crime, crooked politicos ... this place sucks!
Old 07-03-2009, 16:08   #10

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Slaying in St. Thomas Stains Image of an 'American Paradise' - The New York Times

FYI. It's starting to sound like Jamaica but without the good restaurants.
Old 08-03-2009, 23:32   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
Slaying in St. Thomas Stains Image of an 'American Paradise' - The New York Times

FYI. It's starting to sound like Jamaica but without the good restaurants.
a 1994 NY Times piece doesnt truly reflect 2008-2009 times i believe---was pretty decent there when i was there in december---i just wished i didnt have to leave as soon as i did........there is, yes, much prejudice---the dollar bus is actually only a dollar for those with dark skin---white skin pays 2 dollars uness the driver thinks you are from a cruise ship--then it i s 4 or 5 dollars!!!! yes i would go back in a NY minuet.....the weather was awesome....was rainy and windy an drainbows and really pretty...there are some good restaurants a;lso---cuzzins was wonderful, as were the street food coaches...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:51   #12

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
a 1994 NY Times piece doesnt truly reflect 2008-2009 times i believe
Ooops. Sorry.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
Ooops. Sorry.
now--i am baaaaack------although the times report is an old one it does bring up certain safety factors pertinent to todays marlket and lossof extra cruising/tourista dollars in third world nations----there HAVE been, in the caribean, in 2008--2 murders of mega yacht crew--one in fajardo, puerto rico, of a chef, female, and one in antigua of a captain--male. we need to be aware of our surroundings and the time of day in which we wander about--and the appearance both our boat/home and our selves present. an appearance of wealth is not appropriate in a hungry 3rd world country--even if it is one of our possessions---we neeed to remain low key and no tostentatious with out entrance and appearance. not just a little dirt on the boat. the attraction is shininess. all the newest cruising yachts are shiny and bright. easy marks. also swim steps on the transom are easy for the mom and kids to re enter the home/boat----but think hard, folks---is also much easier for the bad guys who are attracted to the glitz and shine to enter and kill off the protesting family and take all that there is to take including the boat.
i promised my 80 yr old mom and my son and his daughter i woul dnot get killed or whatever while i was sailing on my adventure. i plan to live up ot my promise. my boat is NOT shiney, nor will she ever be shiny. my boat is old and worn, thank the gods.......my plan......hehehehhe........so i hope we are in the same anchorage at the same time---oops--i forgot--you will be in a marina....for comfort---easy prey....marinas are not safe--i know---i was tormented regualrly by a stalker while iu resided in a marina----i refuse to give up easily-----i will be the one to survive the increasing onslaught of thieving-----i do no tAPPEAR wealthy in my cruising. there useed to be warnings printed in the magazines that if one appears shiny and rich there will be problems. i donot see these warnings any more----why not??? the dangers are still there. am i to be the voice speak this continuous danger???
we are not cruising within the bounds of safety. we are going out into the REAL world-----be safe------abandon the idea of swimsteps unless you travel with a pitbulldog.....easy access is a negativity of design devised for those who daysail and weekend to catalina for play. no tfor going into 3rd world nations---is begging for intrusion.......be safe---think very hard about ALL possibilities before buying the cruising boat of your dreams. i donot want to have ot read about your demise or the pirating of your boats while i am cruising in my comfort----i might cry for a minuet before i holler i toldjaso.....be safe out there--is not iowa.......or nebraska ....
Old 09-03-2009, 11:49   #14
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I think its a whole lot easyer to avoid places with high crime- with so many nice & safe places in the world why bother ---
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 13:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I think its a whole lot easyer to avoid places with high crime- with so many nice & safe places in the world why bother ---
Antigua was considered safe--- there are no safe places in third world nations for flaunting wealth and position.......is far safer to not be conspicuous. safe spots?? usa is still SAFE--maybe...as the economy falters, so does safety. believe or not---is your life---reading of others problems that were brought about by conspicuous consumption-or of someone ignoring safety factors in 3rd world nations--guess where cruising grounds are!!!!--a trait of our constituency--is not and never will be a safety factor.
awareness of surroundings is basic and is necessary to survival. be safe and see what there is to see in this big world. we all know there are no SAFE places in 3rd world nations. goood luck and happy cruising.