Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2016, 13:24   #1

Boat: Catalina 25 swing keel
Wonder how this will turn out?

Actually I'm perry sure the govt will win, but interesting

2 men take US gov’t ocean science buoy, now want to “sell” it back for $13,000 | Ars Technica

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rainh2o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 14:17   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Wonder how this will turn out?

Yup, they'll win. There is usually salvage payment that can be claimed but it has to do with the value of the object, the risk to the person who salvaged it and I readily admit I have no clue about that stuff. It seems it was no risk to pick up and the fishing boat did lose a day's pay (maybe) but they could have immediately put it in land or returned it or even NOT picked it up but instead just reported lat/long/drift to the USCG and/or put a transponder on it. Many fishing boats do carry transponders for gear. Dunno. Too many folks looking for those "big payoffs" LOL
Old 28-04-2016, 13:45   #3

Wait ... so they're actually going to cash in on this? Crazy.
Scorelit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:08   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I hope the government gets their research bouy back and the fishermen get some reasonable recompense, like a days operating expenses. I hope daddy, the lawyer, gets audited by the IRS every year for the rest of his life.
Any reasonable mariner would have been happy to return the lost equipment for a "thank you" and a hand shake.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 11:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I hope the government gets their research bouy back and the fishermen get some reasonable recompense, like a days operating expenses. I hope daddy, the lawyer, gets audited by the IRS every year for the rest of his life.
Any reasonable mariner would have been happy to return the lost equipment for a "thank you" and a hand shake.
So using the full power of the government to retaliate for something you don't agree with seems like the correct thing? While I agree that most would have turned the buoy over for a thank you, it is not a requirement.
theaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 12:16   #6

Boat: Cape George 38

I think the fishermen will lose on this one. This is not salvage. There was no peril involved here. At best, they'll get compensated for a day's operating expense - and that's if the court or government is being nice about it.

These buoys are designed to float free to the surface, send out their homing signal and await recovery by a government vessel (or contracted vessel). The fact that this one broke free prematurely doesn't change that. The homing signal worked and the USCG was able to track it to shore. If these guys had found the thing after it had detached at its intended time and had recovered it, it would clearly not be theirs to keep.

I am also curious as to what sort of markings are on it.
Watermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 12:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermann View Post
I think the fishermen will lose on this one. This is not salvage. There was no peril involved here. At best, they'll get compensated for a day's operating expense - and that's if the court or government is being nice about it.

These buoys are designed to float free to the surface, send out their homing signal and await recovery by a government vessel (or contracted vessel). The fact that this one broke free prematurely doesn't change that. The homing signal worked and the USCG was able to track it to shore. If these guys had found the thing after it had detached at its intended time and had recovered it, it would clearly not be theirs to keep.

I am also curious as to what sort of markings are on it.
Look up SalCon-89. Peril is not required.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 17:22   #8

Boat: Cape George 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Look up SalCon-89. Peril is not required.
First of all, SALCON does not apply to public vessels, warships, non-commercial state-owned vessels etc. A buoy is not a vessel per se, but I doubt SALCON applies to it either.

However, first definition in SALCON-89:

1. Salvage operation means any act or activity undertaken to assist a vessel or any other property in danger in navigable waters or in any other waters whatsoever.

So no, they don't use the term "in peril" but there must be some danger to the piece of property being salvaged. Picking up a buoy designed to float free and be tracked by its owners (the U.S. Government) before retrieval is not in danger of being lost.

I'm not one to take the government's side on most things, but I don't see the case that these fishermen have.
Watermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:11   #9

I am also with gov all over it.
rubbywilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 19:34   #10
Marine Service Provider

Definitely I too am with govt.
carolpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote