Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2017, 19:07   #271
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: World population is growing 20 million people every 3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Consider this if you will..

Our world consists of a finite amount of 'stuff'...

Much of that 'stuff' is rocks and magma and similar which is all a bit indigestable...

A percentage of that 'stuff' is used to make plants and fish and people and furry animals...

Produce another billion people at , lets say, 70kg a head....

That's 70 billion kg less fish and little furry animals in the global biomass...

Soylent Green here we come!!!!

The world is already running out of mackerel to convert into fishmeal to feed to the farmed salmon at a ratio 0f 4:1
Well not exactly
Estimates vary of how much cosmic dust and meteorites enter Earth's atmosphere each day, but range anywhere from 5 to 300 metric tons, with estimates made from satellite data and extrapolations of meteorite falls.Feb 15, 2015
https://www.quora.com/How-much-cosmi...Earth-in-a-day
Old 04-04-2017, 20:00   #272

Quote:
That's 70 billion kg less fish and little furry animals in the global biomass...

The world is already running out of mackerel to convert into fishmeal to feed to the farmed salmon at a ratio 0f 4:1
I just think it is the oddest thing that we get masses of people insanely concerned about a couple degrees in temperature, but when you show them historical evidence of exponential population growth they will argue whether it is logarithmic rather than exponential.

No matter the case, the idea that human population will regulate itself is pure United Nations propaganda BS.
Old 05-04-2017, 00:25   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Last evening, you seemed determined to add up 2+2=5-6

Despite your continued insistance that 5-6 o'clock is peak electrical usage time and that the other 23 hours of the day don't somehow matter, I assure you that during 9 months of the year, our solar arrays generate power during your magic 5-6 o'clock peak usage period. It's only during daylight savings time Dec., Jan. and Feb. when sun goes down prior to 5:00pm here in New England.
If you are talking fuel consumption at power plants, you are correct.

But that's only about 1/3 of the cost of a KWH.

The majority is in maintaining the Grid and the Power Plants which are all sized based on the peak....so yes, the 5-6pm hour is the controlling factor for over 2/3 of the cost of a KWH.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:29   #274
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
If you are talking fuel consumption at power plants, you are correct.

But that's only about 1/3 of the cost of a KWH.

The majority is in maintaining the Grid and the Power Plants which are all sized based on the peak....so yes, the 5-6pm hour is the controlling factor for over 2/3 of the cost of a KWH.
Excellent! We agree on something.

Here's another important point to consider in our situation regarding our solar installations: During the peak six production months, we live on our boat and aren't even present in our office building apartment to be a part of the 5-6pm peak users. So basically, we're supplying power to the grid for other users and not using it ourselves.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:57   #275

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That is per family, how many vehicles in average family?
Then again I can find a source that says it 1,000 gls, which one is right? I have no idea.
I know industry and other users are huge, however I think the energy amount in the gasoline we burn is more than we think.
In truth we could easily cut our gasoline consumption in half, we just don't want to obviously, so I guess it's sort of a mute point anyway.
Then how efficient are electric automobiles? Way more than the average SUV I would imagine, an SUV can get range with a big gas tank, that is way more expensive with an electric automobile.

I almost bought a Leaf when they were first coming out, and would have if Nissan hadn't botched the launch, now I guess I'm glad I didn't cause I bet you can't give one away now.
I would agree 1000 gallons is close enough average.
I'm a little over we drive alot and a sub. Others at my shop under one drives less and has a Tdi other a gas Jetta getting 38 or so mpg.

Funny you mention the Leaf, I looked in them this winter for a spring summer fall car. I don't think the range of the first gen is enough for us. I don't buy new but the latest gen has better range. From what I found people were happy with them. Even a guy who was turning his in that said he didn't like it. His complaint had more to do with lack of charging stations in his area.
Yes used market is weak for them so a real bargain if the range works for you. When gas goes up again so will their prices just like before.
As far as population I'm not worried people will adapt.
There is a lot of land still unused for food production.When prices increase waste will go down just like when gas prices went up.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:03   #276
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You can get a good used Leaf will just a few thousand miles on it for $10K
I assume the charging station would be extra, but I do not know.
Before I decided to chuck it all and go cruising, the Prius would have remained the Wife's as she drives almost 100 miles a day, I would drive the Leaf as my mileage is much less.
If I were not going cruising and selling off the cars, I'd jump on a good used Leaf for $10K and 5,000 miles on it.
https://www.carfax.com/vehicles/Used-Nissan-Leaf
Old 05-04-2017, 12:27   #277

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Before I decided to chuck it all and go cruising, the Prius would have remained the Wife's as she drives almost 100 miles a day, I would drive the Leaf as my mileage is much less.
If I were not going cruising and selling off the cars, I'd jump on a good used Leaf for $10K and 5,000 miles on it.
Those Nissan Leafs (or is it Leaves?) are appearing as taxis in Eastern Europe. These are countries with relatively cheap gasoline. The taxi drivers tell me that their operating costs are less than half, maintenance downtime far less, and that they are delighted with them.

FWIW.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:53   #278

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Quote:
As much as I like the idea of a leaf the Prius is a better fit for me. Unless I find a deal on a used newest version leaf.
Old 05-04-2017, 13:40   #279

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAEguy View Post
I just think it is the oddest thing that we get masses of people insanely concerned about a couple degrees in temperature, but when you show them historical evidence of exponential population growth they will argue whether it is logarithmic rather than exponential.

No matter the case, the idea that human population will regulate itself is pure United Nations propaganda BS.

Sorry, but the statement that population growth is exponential is ********. Current population growth is slowing down, so it is not exponential. That is not propaganda, that is mathematics.

The Malthusian doomsayers ( of which the UN has plenty) have consistently been proving wrong for as long as there have been doomsayers.

The Romans already worried about how they were going to feed their empire...
Old 05-04-2017, 13:56   #280
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Seems like a cheap way to convert to electric propulsion on a sailboat it on is so inclined.
Old 05-04-2017, 14:01   #281

Quote:
Consider this if you will..

Our world consists of a finite amount of 'stuff'...

Much of that 'stuff' is rocks and magma and similar which is all a bit indigestable...

A percentage of that 'stuff' is used to make plants and fish and people and furry animals...

Produce another billion people at , lets say, 70kg a head....

If more demand for food comes along, we will farm more land. There is so much land that can be farmed, both in America, and in asia, that is not currently farmed.
Old 05-04-2017, 14:03   #282

Boat: Island Packet 40

It is quiet obvious that cannibalism is the solution to all population and environmental problems???
Old 05-04-2017, 14:04   #283

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAEguy View Post

Impressive to be so wrong on two critical issues and only in six lines of text. Lets leave climate change for another day but for population have a look at the demographic transition model which was postulated a quarter century before the UN was created. The model was created to explain demographic changes in countries like the UK and Germany. Since then similar changes have occurred in almost every country in the world and indeed no country, even the basket cases like Chad and Haiti, is still in Stage one of the model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_transition
Old 05-04-2017, 14:12   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Seems like a cheap way to convert to electric propulsion on a sailboat it on is so inclined.
That's an interesting thought - now that hybrids and all-electric vehicles have been around for a while, has anyone marinized a hybrid engine? Could offer the instant kick of an electric motor for manoevring and getting in and out of harbour, without requiring the massive battery bank of all-electric propulsion. But they're usually gas not diesel ...
Old 05-04-2017, 14:23   #285

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Sorry, but the statement that population growth is exponential is ********. Current population growth is slowing down, so it is not exponential. That is not propaganda, that is mathematics.

The Malthusian doomsayers ( of which the UN has plenty) have consistently been proving wrong for as long as there have been doomsayers.

The Romans already worried about how they were going to feed their empire...
It might be slowing in developed nations, but if you look at it historically, it's pretty easy to see the trend. Where it peaks and reverses is debatable.

1800. First time we pass 1 billion souls on earth
1950. 2 Billion
2015. 7.5 billion.

Took a LONG time to get to 1 billion, and no time to add another 6.5 billion.

Personally, I think most antibiotics will soon become ineffective, and that will be the great regulator of human population.
Closed Thread