Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2017, 11:55   #301

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: World population is growing 20 million people every 3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
There are thousands of reasearchers and Greenpeace folk and reporters who get their sponsership/finance by pushing panic buttons. Don't fall for the headlines.

Fish will come and go in various populations and areas but on the global scale their populations rely on plankton supply and plankton supply relies on nutrient supply.
And when did you last have a (North Atlantic ) Cod Supper....? Orange Roughy?

I don't need to ingest G/peace propaganda to know what is happening with aquaculture here in Chile and what is happening is not good.

And the mackerel? If they keep hoovering them up the way they are now it won't be long before they have gone the same way as the cod.
Old 06-04-2017, 13:04   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Sorry, but the statement that population growth is exponential is ********.

The Romans already worried about how they were going to feed their empire...
Believe what you want and call it what you will...no need for profanity.

1200, 0.36B
1300, 0.36B
1400, 0.35B
1500, 0.43B
1600, 0.55B
1700, 0.6B
1800, 0.8B
1900, 1.9B
2000, 6.4B
2017, 7.5B.

Using a Roman reference seems a bit ridiculous.
Old 06-04-2017, 13:10   #303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I'm late to the game,(my IQ ability ) I just wanted to share this

http://www.vox.com/energy-and-enviro...-energy-debate

sorry if I've diverted from the original topic but i do believe it's related to some discussion in this thread.
Whenever I see anything showing carbon budget to explain energy I throw the BS flag. This graph shows everything you need to know about energy sources.
Old 06-04-2017, 13:24   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
to running out of space, either for us, or for all the crops and animals and whatnot we need.

Attachment 144780
I once believed just as you until I sailed through Indonesia and experienced what humans can do to the sea and land.

Have you ever flown over Indonesia and Thailand in a plane? If you want to see how humans can devastate land just look at the Palm Oil industry.

From above it looks like wonderful green jungle, but below it is desert dry ground that can't support life.
Old 06-04-2017, 13:34   #305

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
And when did you last have a (North Atlantic ) Cod Supper....? Orange Roughy?

I don't need to ingest G/peace propaganda to know what is happening with aquaculture here in Chile and what is happening is not good.

And the mackerel? If they keep hoovering them up the way they are now it won't be long before they have gone the same way as the cod.
There's plenty of biomass in the sea - we want to eat fish so your issue is resolved when we correctly manage the uptake of the fish we like most. No need to panic, just need to use the brains to manage the greed.
Old 06-04-2017, 13:44   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
No need to panic, just need to use the brains to manage the greed.
Because that has worked so well on all other accounts!

Always safe to assume humans will act with maximum greed RWT everything they do.
Old 06-04-2017, 14:13   #307

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAEguy View Post
I once believed just as you until I sailed through Indonesia and experienced what humans can do to the sea and land.

Have you ever flown over Indonesia and Thailand in a plane? If you want to see how humans can devastate land just look at the Palm Oil industry.

From above it looks like wonderful green jungle, but below it is desert dry ground that can't support life.
As a matter of fact, I have flown over Indonesia and Thailand. On the same trip, I flew for 9 or 10 hours over Siberia -- an endless sea of green as far as the eye can see, thousands and thousands of kilometers of complete virgin wilderness, without the slightest sign of mankind.

Don't get hung up on one subjective impression. Yes, humans often manage land stupidly, and that needs to end. But the world is big and resilient, and we are very small little ants in it.
Old 06-04-2017, 15:02   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
As a matter of fact, I have flown over Indonesia and Thailand. On the same trip, I flew for 9 or 10 hours over Siberia -- an endless sea of green as far as the eye can see, thousands and thousands of kilometers of complete virgin wilderness, without the slightest sign of mankind.
Sure nobody lives in Siberia for good reason.

Siberia is continental subarctic, with the annual average temperature about −5 °C (23 °F) and an average for January of −25 °C (−13 °F) and an average for July of +17 °C (63 °F), although this varies considerably, with a July average about 10 °C (50 °F).

Siberia accounts for 77% of Russia's land area, but it is home to just 40 million people – 27% of the country's population. This is equivalent to an average population density of about 3 inhabitants per square kilometer (7.8/sq mi) (approximately equal to that of Australia), making Siberia one of the most sparsely populated regions on Earth. Soils are mainly turbels (a type of gelisol). The active layer tends to be less than one meter deep, except near rivers. Gelisols are an order in USDA soil taxonomy. They are soils of very cold climates which are defined as containing permafrost within two meters of the soil surface.

That is like flying over Australia and saying there is limitless land available for humans when in fact there isn't because it doesn't support life very well. At least not in a way that is hospitable to humans.
Old 06-04-2017, 15:28   #309

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Whenever I see anything showing carbon budget to explain energy I throw the BS flag. This graph shows everything you need to know about energy sources.
Fascinating graph, but do please tell us what it is actually showing and its relevance.

As best I can tell, it says that nuclear power plants are now producing around 90% of their rated capacity while all other sources are producing at about 40% of their rated capacity.

It also shows that "non-hydro renewables", (presumably wind, solar, geo-thermal and biomass) are only 1/2 as efficient* as they were 30 years ago.

Anything else to tak away from that pretty picture?

*efficient in terms of producing their rated capacity.
Old 06-04-2017, 15:32   #310

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sure nobody lives in Siberia for good reason.

Siberia is continental subarctic, with the annual average temperature about −5 °C (23 °F) and an average for January of −25 °C (−13 °F) and an average for July of +17 °C (63 °F), although this varies considerably, with a July average about 10 °C (50 °F).

Siberia accounts for 77% of Russia's land area, but it is home to just 40 million people – 27% of the country's population. This is equivalent to an average population density of about 3 inhabitants per square kilometer (7.8/sq mi) (approximately equal to that of Australia), making Siberia one of the most sparsely populated regions on Earth. Soils are mainly turbels (a type of gelisol). The active layer tends to be less than one meter deep, except near rivers. Gelisols are an order in USDA soil taxonomy. They are soils of very cold climates which are defined as containing permafrost within two meters of the soil surface.

That is like flying over Australia and saying there is limitless land available for humans when in fact there isn't because it doesn't support life very well. At least not in a way that is hospitable to humans.
Ah, but just wait until Global Warming starts for real. That area will become a paradise on earth.
Old 06-04-2017, 15:56   #311

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Ah, but just wait until Global Warming starts for real. That area will become a paradise on earth.
Yeah, not holding my breath. But be my guest.
Old 06-04-2017, 16:13   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Fascinating graph, but do please tell us what it is actually showing and its relevance.

As best I can tell, it says that nuclear power plants are now producing around 90% of their rated capacity while all other sources are producing at about 40% of their rated capacity.

It also shows that "non-hydro renewables", (presumably wind, solar, geo-thermal and biomass) are only 1/2 as efficient* as they were 30 years ago.

Anything else to tak away from that pretty picture?

*efficient in terms of producing their rated capacity.
Good article, but a bit dated. I've looked for newer data and can't find it.
https://economics21.org/html/renewab...watt-1428.html
Old 06-04-2017, 16:17   #313

The United States added nearly 2000 megawatts of new wind capacity in the first half of 2015. It would take just over a third of that capacity to generate a comparable amount of electricity using nuclear power. But government policy tips energy investment in favor of renewables: in 2013, nuclear power got just $1.7 billion in subsidies, compared to twice that for fossil fuels and eight times as much for renewables. The federal government is quite literally subsidizing unreliability.
Old 06-04-2017, 16:19   #314

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Good article, but a bit dated. I've looked for newer data and can't find it.
https://economics21.org/html/renewab...watt-1428.html
Yep, we're both singing from the same songbook on this one.
Old 06-04-2017, 17:11   #315

However, the opportunity to make enormous sums of money on utility scale solar remains, as long as the $/W and utility kwh rate remain where they are now or at least in line with each other on the way down.
Closed Thread