Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 18:46   #16

Just a joke

How do you turn a dishwasher into a snowblower?
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
Give her a shovel!
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 19:26   #17

Could I get off the Worst Husband list if I bought my wife paper plates for her birthday?

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 20:08   #18

History changes very slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
My ex wife had an interesting view on this subject: I had to do all the work outside the house I had to do at least half the work inside the house (frequently more) I had to earn all the money She had to spend at least 75% of the money

I wonder why I am getting divorced?
Asian women were matriarchs in many cases, not so many centuries ago: they have not given up easily. So while the husband is head of the household on official occasions: getting married; buying a house; while at work or at the yacht club — try asking the children of the house who is in charge.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:05   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Wade View Post
— try asking the children of the house who is in charge.
It ain't no different in the West.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:16   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I see this slightly differently: Yes, the children may say that their mother is the one in charge, and she may even feel that that is the case, but in reality, she is just the enforcer for her husband. He doesn't want to be bothered by the minutiae of dealing with his progeny or the household he provides for them. He expects the children's mother to take care of all that, while he goes about his business without unwanted distractions. If chaos erupts in his household, he doesn't ask politely if his mate could please handle it. He demands that it stop immediately, and his enforcer will quickly learn who's in charge if it doesn't.

It's a bit like the mafia - who's in charge, the meathead who breaks people's kneecaps, or the godfather he's doing it for?

TaoJones
Old 08-08-2009, 11:30   #21
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
but in reality, she is just the enforcer for her husband. He doesn't want to be bothered by the minutiae of dealing with his progeny or the household he provides for them.
TaoJones
Wow, the mrs. has you beliving this? Man is she good!
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:53   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkd View Post
Wow, the mrs. has you beliving this? Man is she good!
Heh . . . I'm actually divorced, jkd, and never had children with the former Mrs. TaoJones - but I would add that we're better friends now than we probably were when we were married, and visit one another regularly.

No, my post was an observational take on many (most?) Asian cultures, though it is fairly typical of many, many other cultures, as well.

TaoJones
Old 08-08-2009, 12:03   #23

Mmmmnnnnn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
I see this slightly differently: Yes, the children may say that their mother is the one in charge, and she may even feel that that is the case, but in reality, she is just the enforcer for her husband.....

It's a bit like the mafia - who's in charge, the meathead who breaks people's kneecaps, or the godfather he's doing it for?

TaoJones
Mostly you're right, Tao. But I lived in Japan in the 80's and again in the late 90's. The men had gone to war — and lost ! Boy, were they paying for it. They are still paying for it in the form of Mother having become the masthead and enforcer; the man just wearing the uniform.

It is interesting to see how many feel the West is the same. Though Kiwi and Aussie may not be. Is it not polluted enough yet for your endocrines to have become disrupted ?
Old 08-08-2009, 14:05   #24

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Women always have the last word in any argument.Anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument.
Old 08-08-2009, 14:31   #25

Zen can level things out

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Women always have the last word in any argument.Anything a man says after that is the start of a new argument.
A Japanese lady once instructed me on how to manage arguments ( that 'Are not worth a Dog's Breakfast: in ancient tradition'. ) Smile as the judgement / request / demand ~ is delivered; nod a little; say ¡¡¡ – almost NOTHING - !!! Absolutely NOTHING is better. Intonation and demeanour are key when you are saying almost nothing. Getting ready to run or duck, too.

That needs careful adaptation to the western world, to avoid getting killed in some spectacular way, doesn't it ?
Old 08-08-2009, 14:39   #26

Sliced yams

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Division of labour is good..... Independence is the best thing since sliced bread.

anyone know what was best before sliced bread?
Sliced yams and the independence to be able to fry them oneself ~ share them, with beer.
Old 20-08-2009, 05:54   #27

Boat: 84 Pearson 27, Erickson 23, Penguin.
Since Mrs. has a full time real job, I get the honor of cleaning the house, doing most of the cooking. Our son mows the yard since I also baby sit. If I haven't got the gkids I go to the boat and hide .... after my housework is done.

Advantage of being an on-line instructor, I can work sitting in the galley, in the middle of the river, just as easily as sitting in the library.

Got to get off line, I have to dust.
dubW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 15:14   #28

Way back when I was married I used to tell people I wore the pants in my family and I had my wife's permission to say so.

On another note. I've been talking to a lot of Filipino ladies recently and while they give every indication they bow to the husband... Just wait untill the first argument and you'll find out real quick who calls the shots.

Example: If you want to tour the world on a sailboat of course I go with you, because I will do as my husband pleases.

6 months into the relationship. That 41' center cockpit Formosa looks to small. Did I tell you I can not swim and hate the ocean or that fish make me sick?

Need I say more?

I will add I have a few female friends that are Filipino that I think the world of and would never put them in this group. As with everything else it only takes a few to make them all look bad.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 08:20   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Uh- Daddy's D- Your last name would'nt be Baldwin by any chance??? I work with a lot of Nurses from the Philippines. Excellent people.
After 30 years, my wife and I manage the work together. If I get her mad, I don't get help on my projects and visa versa. Works for us.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 10:38   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Daddy's Dream,

Just possibly you met the wrong Filipina!........i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MELANIE SAILOR.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	9895   Click image for larger version