Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2009, 10:27   #46

What a fascinating thread. My ex backed out almost at the last minute about three years ago. I'm still trying to find 'the one' to sail off with. Those of you lucky enough to have partners who share your love of sailing - cherish every single moment.
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2009, 11:05   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
how do you handle the kitty litter latrine situation on a heeling monohull?

If the spouse and I purchase a monohull, I'm wondering how our cat's litter box will be kept from spilling all over the boat in one disgusting lurch.

Do you just close the litter box up and seal it while under way (thus requiring gato to cross his legs while under a passage)?

I'm pretty sure I've never heard of a gimbaled litter box.
box doesnt need to be gimballed--doesnt slide in the qb where kat has his litter box. i used to keep it in the head in my ericson, but he couldnt go in there when the door was closed....on my formosa, his litter pan in on the coach house roof--but we have yet to sail that boat--i know she doesnt sail on heel--so i think will be ok--i may put up a dodger wide enough for it there, but i prolly wont----lol......he is spoiled enough already--he has grass at home on the formosa---an 18 inch square plot from home depot---lol and he eats under the dinette table across from the galley! he sleeps anywhere he wants to--he is 20 pounds of maine coon mix and is very good guard kat....he cannot type worth a dang tho--!!!!. i might put some antiskid rubber mat stuff under it this time---some folks use booda box system, but bubba doesnt like those--he is tooo big for them and prefers a cloth tent----on the roof of formosa lol...he is waaay spoiled....LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 11:23   #48
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Dang i2f...remind me not to make you any promises once we've started drinking if your holding the car keys...
I was raised a man's handshake is a contract, good as that! I'll tell you what. You hold the keys, and we will someday enjoy that drink.

Melanie did St. Maarten to Florida with only 2 afternoon sails on Frolic in S.F. She weathered some gales, and we explored the Bahamas for a couple of years. Then I could feel she wanted off the boat. I wanted to cross the Pacific, but she couldn't do it,

So I bought her a house, and we cruised a couple of more seasons in the Bahamas. Then I went back to work, and unfortunately the economy is what it is.

She's ready now, and looking forward to going somewhere again. I promised her I am leaving, and she knows the story of me going out the gate. When it's time to slip the lines from the dock. She'll be right there on the boat, and we'll be ready for the next chapter in our life together.

Sometimes we just have to watch, and endure these storms together that life brings to us!.........i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stnl_storm[1].JPG
Views:	156
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	9591  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 11:42   #49

i thought this pic was a perfect one for this thread--is he in or out!!!????
Old 27-08-2009, 11:57   #50

In. Love this pic, she's in the bilge lapping in and greasing the tappered valves.

Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 13:37   #51

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattcatdaddy View Post
Out for my wife. At first she was considering the idea of cruising, but its just not her nature. She is not any kind of a risk taker in that regard. Also we are getting ready to file for divorce, but cruising and sailing are not the causes. I`m sure that it didn`t help any either.
I'm with him, on all aspects. She's out (in more ways than one )
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 15:05   #52

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post
I'm with him, on all aspects. She's out (in more ways than one )
Seems to be contagious! Although our split is very amicable. No hard feelings between the two of us at all. Hope yours is going as well. OK I`m done hijacking the thread.
Old 27-08-2009, 15:28   #53

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
out at 200 mph! but maybe she'll come around...

My woman is the kind that bad mouths the idea of living on a boat (cruising and seeing the world) but get her on a houseboat for more than 30 minutes and she's right at home! Actually doesn't want to get off... but really, how can you ask a woman that drives a Top Alcohol dragtser at 220 mph+ and a blown alcohol hydro at over 140 to take a "slow boat" to anywhere?
I think after racing for 24+ years maybe she'll slow down a bit but I can't hold my breath...
oh well, the dream goes on...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0074.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	9593  
Old 27-08-2009, 16:03   #54

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
My woman is the kind that bad mouths the idea of living on a boat (cruising and seeing the world) but get her on a houseboat for more than 30 minutes and she's right at home! Actually doesn't want to get off... but really, how can you ask a woman that drives a Top Alcohol dragtser at 220 mph+ and a blown alcohol hydro at over 140 to take a "slow boat" to anywhere?
I think after racing for 24+ years maybe she'll slow down a bit but I can't hold my breath...
oh well, the dream goes on...
You could always take her sailing in the southern ocean and see how 40ft+ waves effect her adrenalin.
Old 27-08-2009, 16:07   #55

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
LoL

Chances are that won't happen... unles it's an accident! (On purpose accident... heh, heh, heh.)

She hates rollercoasters... LoL but loves to go fasttttt.
Old 27-08-2009, 16:14   #56

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Ahhhh!.....This thread brings joy to my heart....we get past the differences and opinions we all have and get to the core of our individual human needs of existence.

Keep them comming guys and gals as you can readily see this is real life stuff here and people connect with it.

Carry on...

Cool boat Denny!...shes got more guts then I do!!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 05:13   #57

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
I am soooo lucky.... Paula is in! hook-line & sinker....
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 09:28   #58

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
Chances are that won't happen... unles it's an accident! (On purpose accident... heh, heh, heh.)

She hates rollercoasters... LoL but loves to go fasttttt.

Probably a flat, straight line thing....

Catdaddy: Yeah all's cool. We're just too different. Her dreams aren't my dreams (& vice-versa) plus she just can't stop spending all the damn $$$.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2009, 10:01   #59

my problem has always been trying to find a guy who wants to give up the other american dream--the damn house on land and all the cars and thingies that hook folks to land---LOL---is why my better half is the kat lol-----so i found a friend who likes to sail----we see what happens--so far, we have sailed thru lightning storms---now lets see about hurrycames....LOL--if he measures up, maybe............
Old 03-09-2009, 10:36   #60

Location: I live in Barrie Ontario, Rafiki (my boat) is in Penetangushiene, Ontario
Boat: Hughes 31' AND 8" ;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sailor Amy Send a message via Skype™ to Sailor Amy
pirate My other half is a reformed Power Boater

Hi,

I hear male sailors complain all the time about how their female partners hate sailing. I'm here to tell you that's not always true!

Before I met my boyfriend 4yrs ago I was hell bent on sailing across the Atlantic leaving Lake Huron and ending at the Dalmatian Coast. SOLO!! But he wrecked all that ! Now I'll have company!

He was a power boater (and self proclaimed gearhead) who was looking to purchase a big old ChrisCraft (don't get me wrong...nice boats) and I was a die hard sailor in the market for my first sailboat. Needless to say I won.

Now he's the born again of the nautical world, he has umm...ahhhh....how should I say....strong opinions on irresponsible power boaters and their wakes and preaches sailing over power boating like some ol' salty reverend. He is also the walking dictionary of nautical terms (and like most childish men, takes great pleasure in using the term 'poop deck' every time he can work it into polite conversation).

So to all those people I have met out there who can't find someone to sail with....don't despair there is hope!

Cheers,

Sailor Amy
Sailor Amy is offline   Reply With Quote