Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2020, 09:13   #1

20 year old in love with Sailing!

Hi there everyone! Im a full time college student down in SoFlo, my mother recently passed away extremely unexpectedly and it completely changed me. I have always loved the ocean and water ever since I was a little girl, I grew up in Orlando, FL so I was never really close to the ocean but ever since I could remember I always wanted to sail around the world. I recently found this forum and I just wanted to join and try to educate myself for whenever the time comes!
iavx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:17   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: 20 year old in love with Sailing!

Welcome to the forum, iavx. I learn something on the forum just about every day, and I'm on the other end of it all, a 74 year-old retired professor who started sailing at 7.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:29   #3

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.
Get a Laser, learn to sail on that for a year.
Sell that and move up to a Catalina 22 or a Cal 20. Sail that learning the cruising stuff for a couple years then find a liveaboard.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:33   #4

Thank you, and that is amazing that you started sailing at 7! I wish I grew up sailing so all of this was a second nature to me haha
Old 11-06-2020, 22:52   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Tanna 47

Check out one of your local yacht clubs for weekday night racing - assuming they’re running these days. You don’t need a lot (or any, in some cases) experience- just come with a good attitude and interest to learn. Walk the docks 1-2 hrs before racinG starts and ask owners if they need crew. Except for the most serious programs, someone always does. If the first boat you try isn’t a fit, keep looking. You’ll learn years worth of sailing skills in a good season of racing. Good luck!
Sailor279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 23:02   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard iavx! Good luck in your adventures! Keep us posted!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:05   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I remember the exact moment I fell in love with sailing. 40 years later, I can close my eyes and still feel it. Sorry about your mom and please keep us posted!
Old 12-06-2020, 11:09   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

All the best! I also started sailing from a young age. Though you have an advantage at it today, with it being much easier to work remotely now than when I was your age. Cheers to many more years of adventure!
Old 12-06-2020, 11:12   #9

Thank you all for the kind words!! I will definitely keep y’all updated [emoji177]
Old 12-06-2020, 12:33   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

iavx, I’m sorry you lost your mother when you are still so young. If her passing has caused you to think deeply about your own life and your goals than that may have been her last gift to you.

Sailing is a wonderful way to connect with the earth, wind, ocean and the ultimate power of the universe. Experience it, enjoy it, learn all you can about sailing and about yourself.

It’s good advice to start small. Learn on a small boat on small water. Move up as you feel ready. Living aboard and sailing the world is not for everyone nor is it the only way to find joy in sailing. Follow your own path. Remember that sailing is about going slow. Make your own happiness, your own wake and your own memories.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 12:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
iavx, I’m sorry you lost your mother when you are still so young. If her passing has caused you to think deeply about your own life and your goals than that may have been her last gift to you.

Sailing is a wonderful way to connect with the earth, wind, ocean and the ultimate power of the universe. Experience it, enjoy it, learn all you can about sailing and about yourself.

It’s good advice to start small. Learn on a small boat on small water. Move up as you feel ready. Living aboard and sailing the world is not for everyone nor is it the only way to find joy in sailing. Follow your own path. Remember that sailing is about going slow. Make your own happiness, your own wake and your own memories.
Wow.. I really never thought of it like that. Her passing did make me think about my life and what I want to do for myself and those around me. I appreciate the kind words greatly. I'm going to attempt to save up for a little and buy something small to practice and learn the ins and outs of before trying to accompany someone on a big trip.
Old 12-06-2020, 13:03   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Find her book and read it. Its a big world out there, go and explore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tania_Aebi
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing