Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2015, 09:07   #16

Re: 2nd Try To Not Be Embarrassed Off Forum But Unsure What Topic (If Any) I’m In

With a 2' draft I would think you could gunkhole your way along the Big Bend no problem. No need to sail at night or anchor in unprotected waters. I would think that would a highlight of the trip and one of the best reasons to do it in a shallow draft boat. I would love to explore that area, but my draft is way to big. Same is true of the 10,000 islands area of the Keys.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 09:14   #17

Re: 2nd Try To Not Be Embarrassed Off Forum But Unsure What Topic (If Any) I’m In

I just had a couple more thoughts.

Make sure you pay special attention to timing. You definitely want to do your great lakes leg in the summer time (July-August).

The other thought is if was to do it in a small boat I wouldn't come out of the canals in Buffalo, I'd come out in Ogdensburgh, scoot across lake Ontario and take the Trent Severn canal to Georgian Bay. Nothing but Nuke and coal, chemical and steel plants on lake Erie, Detroit river and st Claire river. Where the Trent severn and Georgian bay offer stunningly beautiful wilderness.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 09:15   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

James, congrats on your plans. I have a much larger boat but that just means I can be more comfy in bad weather and spend more money on repairs.

I would suggest investing in a chart book or two even with GPS. I would also STRONGLY suggest a depth finder. Around here, Tarpon Springs, you can go from 10 ft of water to 1 ft in a boat length. Nor are the charts always accurate. Sand bars shift around like fleas on a hound.

Depending upon your schedule remember that during the summer thunderstorms are pretty common in the late afternoon. Some can be pretty nasty and your boat is light. You might consider finding a spot to settle before they arrive.

There was a lady in her 80's that inherited a boat of your size that lived here on the river. She taught herself to sail and has been all up and down the east and west coast of Florida while living aboard. Had some oops moments but kept on ticking.

Have fun and remember you are more likely to regret the things you didn't do than the things you did.

Fair winds
Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 09:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
If you're worried about navigation, download navionics on your smart phone. It's $10 and is basically push button navigation. If you don't have a smart phone, you can pick up an inexpensive android tablet or phone for less than $130. I run the program on my nexus tablet and iPhone.
Sounds like a grand adventure, have fun! If you're looking for inspiration, another forum member has just cruised his hunter 25 to Georgetown. His name is sumner and his thread and trip report might be worth a read for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Actually he is in a Macgregor 26S. I also own a Macgregor, and he is very active on the Mac forums. A great guy and good writer. Worth the time to look at his thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...as-145445.html

Also take the time to read his blog. He puts it all out there, the good as well as the bad.
RonRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 10:41   #20

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
Actually he is in a Macgregor 26S.
My mistake, sorry! But yes, definitely read his blog.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 11:07   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

James,

I have to congratulate you on having the gumption to actually consider doing what you talked about. You're smart to ask those questions, and the answers you've gotten are pretty much on the mark, in my opinion. I used to own an ODay 222 swing keel with a 6 hp Johnson long shaft outboard--pretty much the same as your C22. I really think you could do the trip if you pay careful attention to weather.

In my opinion, the big issue with your boat/motor setup is what can happen if you get caught in a lot of wind (like a thunderstorm with 35-40 kts) without much sea room to leeward. In steep chop with a stiff wind on the nose, the boat's going to hobby-horse, and the prop will come out of the water. You'll find it very hard to make any headway and could even be driven back onto shore. A friend of mine had that happen to him off the New Jersey shore, and got driven up onto the beach. His boat was a 27 footer. Any of the other risks you can effectively manage with prudent fore-thought, but thunderstorms are notorious for catching you when you least expect it.

Best of luck to you--hope you get to live you dream
Old 18-05-2015, 11:32   #22

Take a look at Pat Royce's book Sailing Illustrated. He has about four to six pages on the Catalina 22, including some very good safety ideas (like a jib downhaul, halyards led aft, etc.). We used his ideas on our own Catalina 22 (1981 pop top) and spent many fine summers aboard, sailed SF Bay in the winter months.

It's worth buying the book --- great all around small boat information.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 11:40   #23

I say no problem with the great loop! Not like the rigors of sailing across and ocean.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 11:53   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I reread your first post on this thread and found your engine information. Good!

I'm pulling for you and hope you'll get underway as soon as possible. My very first boat was a Catalina 22 fin keel and she was capable of going interisland here in Hawaii so I know yours will make it. You've got all the navigation skills and experience you need.

Do you have a kick up rudder?

Thanks for your VN era service.
Old 18-05-2015, 15:18   #25

Boat: Aloha 28 "Gypsy"

I have sailed on Lake Ontario for years and while it can get rough it can also be as flat as a millpond. Pay attention to the weather and you will be fine for crossing. I support the recommendation to use the Trent Severn. Beautiful country and you can avoid Lake Ontario plus Lake Erie upwind. The Welland Canal is not easy in a small boat either. I've done on a 30' sailboat and we really got bounced around. Best of luck in your travels!
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 17:06   #26

Boat: Catalina 25' "Grace"

gee whiz! How can I not go with all this incouragement... You are all great,.
thank you,
Peace and Love, James
ps. yes kick up rudder.
jmczzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 17:39   #27

Boat: Cal 2-27

I just want to say that I think this is a wonderful plan, and that I hope you have a great time. Let us know how it goes along the way.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 18:17   #28

Boat: a sailing boat

Bon voyage and fair winds!

Let us know how it goes when you have that Internet at hand!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 19:16   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I support paper charts to. If you want to go cheap, get copies from xerox from the library. Good paper charts can be had verly cheaply if you look around. How is your nav skills? Brush up before the Gulf.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 19:36   #30

Boat: Catalina 25' "Grace"

I've got a couple of last minute things to do, mount my new to me spring loaded heavy duty motor mount. Get the sliding galley on board and sink hooked up to the scupper drain, get an antenna and mount it for the vhf, and I just wrote an offer for a Craig’s list C22 boom vang.
I still need to decide where to start from. My choices are Kentucky lake on the Tenn. tom water way to mobile bay 318 miles to launch, or the Arkansas river 90 miles to launch, to go down to the MS then down to NO LA , or haul the boat down to the North Gulf to launch 526 - 600 miles to launch directly in North Gulf.
My original thinking was to start south from Kentucky Lake October 1 so as to be on the Northern Gulf at the end of Hurricane season (Nov 30). Taking the Tenn. - Tom waterway route to mobile bay.
I reason that the Arkansas - Ms - NO LA water route will put me to late for a fall trip to Fl. Even if it would be the shortest haul to launch.
And I don't know if I want to run my outboard that much in the Ms River as it is pretty muddy and gets low in late summer. Anybody know about how that would be?
The other thing is should I move to a different topic in this forum?
jmczzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rum