Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2013, 19:56   #1

A long time coming...

Hello all,

New member here, been lurking and researching for a few weeks now, and thought it was time to introduce myself.

I'm active duty Navy, currently stationed out in Hawaii. About a month ago after a rather stressful day for us both, my wife and I were having dinner at a resturant that overlooked the water. The food unfortunately was dissapointing, but looking out at the boats I was inspired, the idea striking on a feeling I've had my entire life. The desire to just be able to pull up and get away for a while.

I looked to my wife and mentioned my thought, "How great would it be to be able to be able to hop on one of those boats and just get the heck off this island for the weekend?" She was similarly struck by the idea, and thus tenative plans began.

I'm the researching type, so I've been hunting all over the internet for knowledge these last few weeks. Our ultimate goal is to be a liveaboard cruisers, probably more of the coastal cruiser and island hopping with occassional ocean crossing treks to change our scenery. But that's a long time coming, both financially and when it comes to experience.

Both my wife and I are Midwesterners. I have a little experience island hopping in the Florida Keys during my late teens, but that's the end of our boating experience thus far. But that's something we're working on. We are planning on starting off with basic sailing lessons at the base marina in a month or two, and continuing on that path. Meanwhile, I'm trying to absorb any knowledge I can find via any medium available. Books, blogs, message boards like this, you name it.

As I mentioned, we're quite a ways from having our own boat and heading out. In the meantime, any advice anyone has is very much welcomed. If anybody happens to be out here in Hawaii as well and wouldn't mind sharing some of your knowledge face to face, we would be mighty greatful as well.

Thanks in advance,

Eric and Kate
Archyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 20:04   #2
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31
Re: A long time coming...

Welcome aboard. Power or sail?
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 04:53   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard, Eric & Kate. Sounds like a great plan, and CF's a good place to start.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 22:44   #4

Thanks for the welcome guys.

As for your question Neo, I have no real definative feelings either way. I can see the merits of both, as well as the downsides. However, I've already recognized that my eyes are probably bigger than my budget. Offhand I imagine we'll probably end up sailing, but we'll see. Basically the plan is to keep working down our debt/building up our savings while we establish some experience through classes, rentals, and any chartering or other trips we can figure things out. We're pretty serious about it for such newbies, and would like to get some sort of idea of life aboard before too long. Don't want to be one of those groups who buy a boat, go sailing and then put it up for sail right?
Archyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 02:12   #5

Hi there - we are the same - trying to absorb as much info as we can before we take to the sea!

Good luck!
GillianLara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 07:19   #6

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welcome to the forum. I lived on the Big Island for 7 years. Only good food I ate there was what I cooked...lol
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 17:53   #7
Neo

Boat: Pearson 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archyrr View Post
Basically the plan is to keep working down our debt/building up our savings while we establish some experience through classes, rentals, and any chartering or other trips we can figure things out.
Sounds like you have a good plan. My only suggestion is to set realistic achievable goals. Don't rush it, and enjoy the process.

I think sailing is to motoring, as fly fishing is to using a spinning rod. Sailing and fly fishing are more about the process, and less about the end result.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 18:08   #8

Boat: Boatless
Welcome to the best forums on the internet!!!

I am doing roughly the same. Step One, be debt free as soon as humanly possible. As Dave Ramsey says, rice and beans, or beans and rice. So far it is working. One credit card down, one of the big ones should be gone by the end of Sept. After that I take the chainsaw and dynamite to that last anchor around my neck.

After that it's save, save, and save even more. I will either pay cash for a boat, or finance with a fat down payment. Build the cruising kitty, then it's off to.............

Keep us posted!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 18:25   #9

Boat: Seaward 22

Welcome aboard!
ohdrinkboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 18:39   #10

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I welcome you as well. Each of you should never, ever even consider giving up your dreams. You will encounter many obstacles, many nay sayers but just remember....never, ever give up your dream regardless as to how long it may take.

enjoy the wind for it is freedom

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 20:30   #11

Boat: Lagoon 420
Take some lessons, do some chartering and gain experience that way. You can make more plans from there. Good luck!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 02:31   #12

Boat: Ericson 35-2
Find a sailing club nearby, and ask who needs a crew for races. Someone always does.

Buy a cheap (3k or so) trailerable keel oat, or even a dinghy, if you are physically fit and like to be wet, and sail the hell out of her.

As far as gaining the pure sailing skills goes, nothing beats racing your own small boat in a one-design class.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 12:07   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Many years ago before the bridge to Ford Island I used to teach sailing at the Marina in Pearl Harbor. That'd be a good place to take sailing lessons offered by the MWR. They might still teach at Hickam too. Either would be a good place to get started. Much cheaper and just as good as the more commercial ASA or USSailing classes plus you can rent their boats after your checkout rides.
Thanks for your service.
I had the great experience to keep two different boats at the marina as well and that was a real dream come true. If you can do it I'd encourage it.
When you have questions this is a great place to ask.