Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2006, 12:28   #16

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hello Haloman and welcome.

I'm personally not sure drifting around is what turns most sailors on......it seems like a watery form of enforced seclusion to me.

But as others have said - whatever turns one on - its the beauty of the Ocean - get far enough away and who cares what you do! True freedom.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 27-11-2006, 16:43   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
While in Los Angeles, I met a woman on the dock, she asked how long it took to sail the boat to Catalina. When I told her 6 to 8 hours, depending on the wind, she was shocked, and piped up "We get there in less than 2 hours in our (power) boat". I looked her square in the eyes and asked "Why on Earth would you want to do that? Do you not like being on the water?" You could watch the wheels coming off her thought processes .... Great Fun!!!
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:23   #18

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
True story -
When we lived in West Oz we had an elderly club member who sailed a small (24 foot I think) Endeavour. Very experienced sailor - orginating from W.Indies.
Boat was a tad basic, bit grubby, and definately not 100% on the cleanliness front.
But Frank would load up and head off west every summer - that's heading straight out of WA off towards Africa.
Where ever he got to on day seven was where he turned her around, and then sailed back to Freo.
When I asked why he did this, he said with a chuckle that it was because his wife couldn't.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 01-12-2006, 08:41   #19

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
The only guy that I have heard of that has intentionaly done this, is the Contiki raft. What's his name set off to test a theory of whether Pacific Islanders and Early Maori came from South America. Since proven to be false, but a good story and endeavor all the same.
Maybe there has been others that have done such on purpose, but mostly I imagine they will be the "hungry raft drifters".
Kon Tiki was the raft - Thor Heyerdall the raftee.

He later proved that an egyptian reed boat could have crossed the Atlantic.