Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 11:26   #31

Boat: Chung Wa, Magellan, 36', White Swan II
Re: Add Another Dreamer to The List

"I'm just looking for the best way to learn all I can about sailing, so I can SAIL"

Best way I know is to get a small boat and start sailing her on your own she will teach you quick enough then move up and aboard and go on from there

Oh and get away from the right coast, the left is the best esp PNW where you can experience lots of different conditions and situations
divicolouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 11:41   #32

Boat: Lord Nelson 41' Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailtexas
Welcome and best wishes with your sailing ambitions!

Dan
s/v Orion
Sailtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 12:25   #33

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Hi Meredith, you are a crackerjack writer. Hope it works out for you. Ya I'd keep at trying to meet people that sail and make friends. I haven't read your blog so I don't know if you cook, but you might feed people in exchange for some sailing time. Hard to do in ATL, but Charleston is a sailing town. Kind of our Annapolis of the south. Er, Deep South. Try lake Lanier or hartwell or keowee too, definitely sailboats up there.

If you're not able to hook up with some sailing friends, take a basic keelboat course in Charleston or elsewhere. Or basic cruising if you've got some basics down. A class will get you going and might clarify what direction you want to take it. It'll all unfold, just keep nipping at its heels (your dream) and you'll do whatever you want if you want it bad enough.

Good luck, and welcome.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 12:51   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Mer,

Look up the CF member Zeehag, she is currently single handing her Formosa on the Pacific side of Mexico enroute to the Caribbean. There is also Margo who is solo on her boat in the same area. If you are single, Zee has a FB group for single solo sailors who are always looking for crew for a passage but most the time wind up making the passage solo. There are plenty of sailors going it alone that would love to have company. The Facebook group is called SSSSM, but disregard what it stands for, it is a good place to get some sailing. It stands for Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates, but like I said, disregard that and join us if you would like. Tell Zeehag I sent you.

Have fun.
hay meredith---
i am a good one for learning diesel mechanicry these days, having just experienced my first and hopefully only runaway diesel happening---eeps...we did not detonate, and was not overheat yet---so only needs a little rebuilding, new stuff here and there--we arent going to address it for a bit of time yet..
sailing is easy to learn...the other stuff comes along with it--weather and allthat---is a good idea bob gave you---maritime academy is a good idea, and will open a lot of doors for you in future...
i learned to sail from a kings point grad and merchant mariner with an old antique historic treasure of a boat--man was my mommas uncle--one of 7 kids born into a shipping company family. old stuff---sailing ships and steam.

there are many ways to learn how to do everything--experience is the hardest, school is easiest-just make sure you have a good sampling of each, so you are well rounded....
questions i am open for, no problem, and if , once i am again mobile, i will aim at panama again..mebbe some more mexico--is gorgeous here, then panama.....
as for other stuff bob mentioned--pm me with questions....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 12:59   #35

Boat: too many

Zee, I'm not up to speed with your run away diesel. Were your rings so worn that it was running off of crankcase fumes? If that was the case I'll bet you had to starve off the air intake to get it to stop.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 13:18   #36

Thanks again Dan, Cheoa, Zee. Great to meet friendly people.

Dan: I do cook - love to cook, in fact; and I'm quite good at it. I should hope so: I worked around chefs for long enough, even if I wasn't usually in the kitchen.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas and support.

MeredithMcGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 13:20   #37

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Good luck with your search, MM... if you are on either coast and in a sea town, make the rounds of marine brokerage houses. When I was in the business, there always a bunch of us characters who got work on deliveries, power and sail, and many times on short notice so we didn't have time to get our regular crew lined up. I've taken many a newbie along on a trip as long as they were willing to work hard and learn. Built up a cadre of experienced young folks who were ready to jump off at a moments notice to bring a boat back from Panama, Mexico or down from Alaska or the PNW to southern CA. Keep going back and checking with the boat brokers and ask for an intro to delivery skippers. If they like the cut of your jib, you'll get out on a few trips and once you have your foot in the door, the skippers keep a book on you that we would trade back and forth depending experience and our immediate needs. Then start working on upgrading your certifications. Good luck... it is a great life! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 13:51   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMcGuire View Post

I'll continue my request, generally: Please, please, please, if anyone knows of decent folks with whom I can learn to sail, PM me or respond to this thread. I'm getting pretty itchy to learn all I can about sailing, navigating, repairs, cooking, lifestyle... and to make some good pals with whom I can safely travel, both while I'm working towards my own boat and once I have it.

Thanks so much!
I would really recommend reading Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship book: http://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloti.../dp/158816232X. Read it from cover to cover. Yes, it's expensive, yes it's thick, but it will give you all of most of the info you need to sail.

I started sailing, learnt quickly, but it was after reading this book that everything clicked. I suddenly could dock, plan trips, plan tacks better than my other half, feel confident on e water, etc. I refer to this book as Seamanship bible. Of course, there is no substitute for practice, but with this book you'll be miles ahead.

Th scary part is that I've seen quite a few sailing instructors, albeit not American or Canadian, not displaying the skills written in this book.

Fair winds!
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 15:39   #39

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Meredith,

With all this talk about the dream, what about making it reality?

By this, I mean, Have you thought of the size or type of boat you want to get? have you browsed around Yacht World, Sailboat Listings or anywhere else with sailboats for sale? Set a budget?

There are so many types of boats out there and many of them can be used as a liveaboard. You're talking about being itchy to learn all you can about sailing, navigating, repairs, etc., and many can fulfill that desire to learn all you can.

Maybe list what you want out of a boat and maybe we can all help you narrow down the type of boat that will work for you and give you ideas that you might not have thought about too.

Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2013, 16:45   #40

Hi Daniel,

Here's the curious thing about me: I actually love my life, and the way it's playing out. I want to sail, and am happy every chance I have to get aboard a boat with a nice crew/skipper. I sailed all of summer and fall, talked with my sailing buddies about boats (still do), read the book my skipper gave me, looked at boats online, talked with brokers, worked like mad, lost my job, moved to Atlanta where I sailed some more with an experienced, knowledgeable sailor (who used to sell boats and has sailed over most of the world many times over)....

I'm learning. I'm talking. I'm seeing. I'm sailing - except for the past month, because I was healing from broken toes.

In the meantime, I'm LIVING.

I love to sail - which means: I don't want to burn myself out on it by trying to make it my one-and-only. I've made that mistake before; it would be wildly foolish to do it again.

And please remember: I'm only a baby sailor. I've only been up-close-and-personal with sailboats for ONE YEAR.

Probably FAR, FAR less than most of you all.

Regardless, I hate pressure. And I hate rushing into things that just don't feel right, yet.

I'm grateful for all of the support from everyone, and will be happy to get into it all with everyone...

In due time. Because, dreams can't be forced, nor planned. They come of one's subconscious, sometimes of one's unconscious, and they reveal themselves in their own time.

I'm happy to be here, happy to be meeting you all, happy with all of the knowledge you're all sharing and that I'm learning. Happy to know that I love sailing, and to relish in that love.

Because it's wonderful.

Thanks again, everyone. Maybe this will clarify a bit more for you all.
Old 15-06-2013, 19:17   #41

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Meredith, You might start looking for folks like Connie and I who at times have room for folks to sail with us, to make the watchs a little easier! We have met a lot of sailing couples some with kids some without, who would like to have someone aboard to learn and help out! And you could sure have something to write about ! Ive thought about writing a book about our years sailing, but as you can tell by my writing and spelling, thats something Im not able to do LOL But anyway we will be sailing pretty steady starting this coming winter, If ya get down this way we have a spare cabin and could always use a little help ! And theres lots of other folks in this same position! Just a thought, Not all folks looking for folks to sail with them are looking for bed warmers LOL
Old 16-06-2013, 10:11   #42

Thanks so much for the offer, Bob and Connie! I'm still sorting out what I'm going to be doing this winter, but will certainly keep your offer in mind. When do you typically leave?
Old 16-06-2013, 10:15   #43

Boat: too many

Mer,

Bob and Connie are good people and have been cruising for decades, raised their kids on the boat.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 16:08   #44

Shall we turn it around? You get what you want by being able to provide what others want. Being a compliant female for some crusty single male seems off the table. If you don't want your own boat at this point which is fair enough, you want more sailing and learning experiences.
What a skipper wants is someone keen to learn reliable congenial and responsible who can be a safe pair of hands to say stand a watch alone.
You can gain much of the basic knowledge by doing the ASA or similar courses and getting practical experience under tutelage. I don't mean being rail meat while racing. I am sure there are a number of older people, couples and not, who don't get to use their boat as often as they might wish for lack of crew - sometimes an extra pair of hands or just someone more agile. I am sure you can pick out the trustworthy even by walking the docks and asking.
Someone competent will always find further opportunities come up.
Doing so demonstrates a commitment to acquiring competence even knowing the rules of the road is a plus. A women only sailing course could also help.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 16:58   #45
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Do some sailing classes, do some crewing , there is always room for people willing to give there time for free on a sailing boat , you will not be short of opportunities. That will include long ocean trips as well. If you like cooking it helps , but don't sign on as the galley slave.

Dave

« Ahoy! | I'm In »