Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 08:57   #1

Boat: Colvic, Sea Rover, 28', Albatross
Age 23, First Boat with Keys

Hi everybody

I just bought a 28' colvic sea rover, the "Albatross". I live in the Fl panhandle, but I'm about to take to the sea, partially because of the all black gold in the water. I've been sailing since I was 8- a lot, but this Is only my 2nd boat with a motor or an anchor. (The sea rover has 3!) and I'm totally new to cruising. I appreciate any advice you old saltys have to offer, and I'll do my best to add what I can to the discussion- not much.

F-the internal combustion engine. BP makes better solar panels, than they do oil rigs anyway.

Max
UnderwaterA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 12:20   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Congrats!!! Hope our old salties know somehing for you. Most have chewed a bit much whacky-tobbacy so beware!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 12:29   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum Max.
I must admit..I'm not at all familiar with that brand of boat.
As a boat junkie...(and there are many here) I would sure appreciate some more details of the boat and a picture here and there wouldn't hurt.
Are you living aboard now?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 13:00   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ooh, congratulations!!! Have fun and keep us informed - we're jealous and want to join you on a cyber-journey!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 12:28   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I just did a search on the Sea Rover. Looks like a very sturdy comfortable cruiser. Is yours a pilot house model with bilge keels?
regards,
Old 21-08-2010, 08:37   #6

The boat was made in Essex. Eng. 1970. It is a triple bildge setup with the center keel carrying 4000lb, lead. It's not the pilot house model, it has a smallish but very deep cockpit. Its easy to duck down in but hard to see out of. Tiller steering.It has a short mast with redundant over sized rigging all around. It has been outfitted with a 3' ss bowsprit at some time in its life, and it appears pretty well attached.
The boat tracks straight, most of the time. I sailed it solo for the first time a couple days ago and I barely touched the tiller. Ive had it up to 5 knts towing a dinghy with a dirty bottom. It does better than expected upwind. It doesn't point very high, but it slides very little b/c of all the finage underwater.
Old 21-08-2010, 08:39   #7

The boat was made in Essex. Eng. 1970. It is a triple bildge setup with the center keel carrying 4000lb, lead. It's not the pilot house model, it has a smallish but very deep cockpit. Its easy to duck down in but hard to see out of. Tiller steering.It has a short mast with redundant over sized rigging all around. It has been outfitted with a 3' ss bowsprit at some time in its life, and it appears pretty well attached.
The boat tracks straight, most of the time. I sailed it solo for the first time a couple days ago and I barely touched the tiller. Ive had it up to 5 knts towing a dinghy with a dirty bottom. It does better than expected upwind. It doesn't point very high, but it slides very little b/c of all the finage underwater.
This boat has been cruising the carribean for atleast 15 years. Her name is the Albatross.