Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 10:26   #1

Ahoy from SoCal

Hi all,

I've been lurking on here for a few months now and thought it's way over due that I introduce myself. I am not new to boating or forums but haven't sailed in over 20 years. I currently have a "performance boat" that is used to race up & down the Colorado River, aka Havasu, to the next beer stop.

My dream has been to sail the Carribean for 3-4 months every winter when I retire (T-8 years and counting) and the time to prepare for that part of my journey has arrived. I currently have an opportunity to buy into a 1/4 share of an older 35' Beneteau, which will most likely happen in the next couple of months, after I take care of a few things, like take some basic sailing classes.

I currently live in San Diego but will be moving to the Inland Empire this summer as I am engaged to a beautiful, smart, wonderful, lovely lady (who will be along shortly, no doubt) who share's my dream. The Beneteau is in a slip in Long Beach, CA, which just so happens to be where I grew up. I still have family and friends there which works out well for us.

I am of Portugueese decent and come from a family of fisherman. Growing up, I was always around the water and powerboats, but the only sailing that I ever did was on small catarmarans that we used to race around the harbor and try not to flip....or the occaisional friends sailboat.

But with the price of fuel combined with my limited retirement funds, I do not see myself powering around the world in a motor yacht. Hence, my education has begun to figure out how to sail, what I want to sail in and where to begin. So far things are falling into place nicely and I am extremely excited for what the future has in store for us.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 10:38   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
wow-- welcome to sailing and cf and new adventures-- you are blessed with a good area behind a healthy breakwall in which to learn to sail, and many sailing schools, clubs and folks to grab to learn from..have fun and smooooth sailing....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 11:27   #3

And here I am , the
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
beautiful, smart, wonderful, lovely lady (who will be along shortly, no doubt) who share's my dream.
Thanks babe. <3

I too have been around boats since I was small. My dad was a water skier and his ashes are now at the river. My birth mom lived in Ohio and raced sailboats on Lake Erie. I too am from a fishing family. My maiden name in German means "by the fishing stream."

I lived in Long Beach for awhile while attending USC and have done a little sailing in the LB harbor. I know little to nothing about sailing except that I love being on the boat. It took about a half of a second for me to approve the idea of sailing around the Carribean with Just BS when we retire. T-8 yrs and counting...

I look forward to the steep learning curve ahead of us and to getting to know some of you as well!
Old 25-01-2011, 11:35   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
welcome,ms--- yer gonna have a great time----in a good place for learninjg , and a good place for sailing away from........ i know.. doing that this yar, from sin diego--was in lb/la for many years... goood playground behind that breakwall and then venturing out to catalina-- is fun... welcome.. smoooth sailing!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 00:48   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.
kind regards,
Old 03-02-2011, 01:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Hi all,

My dream has been to sail the Carribean for 3-4 months every winter when I retire (T-8 years and counting) and the time to prepare for that part of my journey has arrived. I currently have an opportunity to buy into a 1/4 share of an older 35' Beneteau, which will most likely happen in the next couple of months, after I take care of a few things, like take some basic sailing classes.
Wow, that's a great dream... Good luck to that!
lyfbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:16   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Hey MS & BS.... good to have you on CF.. sounds like your well on your way.. the hard bits over.. your both up for it...LOL
From here on in itsa piece of cake...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote