Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2013, 07:19   #16

Skiprjohn, I still have a lot of research to do, so I am not sure, but the previous owner bought 15 years ago in complete disrepair for 1500 and dumped a ton of cash, time, and love into her. Was your friends name Bob?
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 11:37   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Aloha from Hawaii!

Bob and Ann restored a Newporter in the late 80s. I knew the previous owners named Gene and Seef and the owner after Bob and Ann but can't remember his name just now. He was a single man and in the Navy. He was a pilot (not by Navy occupation but by hobby). The name will come to me some day.
I helped Gene glue up the mainmast that had come apart at the gluelines.
Sorry she found disrepair because after Bob and Ann's restoration she was perfect.
kind regards,
Old 21-01-2013, 11:53   #18

The Newporter's name was Aikane.
I'll look it up in my old sailing log to see if I sailed on her or just was aboard.
kind regards,
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00   #19

Cliche,
You dropped off. I just remembered the name of the last owner I knew of Aikane. His name was Rodney.
Let us know how you and your boat are doing.
kind regards,
Old 08-02-2013, 00:42   #20

Skipr, I got a new phone and have been insanely busy! I have good news, better news, and the best news. I did my first fiberglass repair today to stop one of my leaks - it was on one of the scoops that go through the doghouse, my buddy helped me and we were accidentally more successful than expected! I went sailing for the first time in my life yesterday, she sails like a dream! The person that taught/helped me sail her was this super hot boat chica! (This is the best news in case you were wondering)

So I still have more leaks to figure out. I am pretty sure they are coming from the portlights, any recommendations, before I go crazy with marine 5200...

Regardless of anything, life is sooo good... Did you know a ton of gorgeous women love sailboats... Don't tell anyone otherwise every male on this planet will buy one and flood the harbors in Hawaii haha.
Old 08-02-2013, 00:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche
Did you know a ton of gorgeous women love sailboats... Don't tell anyone otherwise every male on this planet will buy one and flood the harbors in Hawaii haha.
On my way !!

Latis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:28   #22

Haha love it
Old 10-02-2013, 02:03   #23

So, I did something less than intelligent last night. I went out to sea with two chicas to watch the Friday night fireworks, mind you this was my second time ever sailing, I couldn't find the channel to get back into the harbor! Ugh, long and short I called a friend, got some knowledge dropped on me, made it back in, and everything turned out ok, but dear God I felt like an idiot!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:06   #24

Grr...stupid thing just lost a long post, will rewrite later when I have more patients!
Old 10-02-2013, 15:28   #25

Glad you are still here and made it back in. That little channel can be hard to navigate with all the background lights. You do get used to it but the first time can be a bit tricky at night. Always, if in doubt, wait 'til sunrise or follow a deep draft sailboat in. Call them on your VHF to tell them your intentions.
Lucky you to find the right instructors.
Don't use 5200 on your portlights. Do a search on this forum for the proper way to rebed portlights.
kind regards,
Old 08-03-2013, 11:44   #26

Finally an update!

I love my life! I go out sailing every chance I get and learn new things every time. I grow more and more confident in my abilities everyday, but constantly remind myself to remember that I really don't know what in doing and to respect the ocean / my boats capability to do serious damage if I'm not careful. I tore my jib on my built in mast steps, but I know how and why and won't make the same mistake again. My water pressure pump's positive terminal broke off last night, so now I have a project for the day. Well in reality I have a hundred projects everyday and I'm happy when I accomplish one of them. I backed her in stern first yesterday, which was an accomplishment for me. I prefer it because I can throw out the gangway and it's easier to load and unload stuff. Where does all the stuff come from! I feel like a pack rat again.. I have 2 skiffs, 3 outboards, and more random stuff then I know what to do with. I swear eventually I'm gonna go through it all.. Just can't figure out when. More to come soon
Old 08-03-2013, 12:50   #27

Good to hear you're still around and getting used to that boat. Did you learn any more history about her? Did they let you look at the records in the DLNR office?
If her name was Aikane I can give you history from early 80s to early 90s
kind regards,
Old 08-03-2013, 12:51   #28

A copy of a survey would tell you if the name had been different in the history.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:59   #29

I haven't had time for researching history, I spend all my free time tinkering / sailing .. Maybe a little drinking mixed in. When I do have more free time I totally will though and ill let you know!
Old 22-03-2013, 09:57   #30

Update from the wonderful world of maintenance, or lack there of? Last Saturday I blew a compression fitting as I was motoring back to the channel. I was un-aware of a lot of things about my engine, I know them now! Hopefully it isn't too late. I ended up getting towed back into my slip, which was a learning experience for sure. I was out of oil and coolant for the heat exchanger. It was all in the engine bilge / my main bilge, what a mess! I am still not done cleaning it out. Anyways, I have been sailing a bunch, breaking all sorts of ****, fixing about half of it, and having a blast while I'm at it. I need to replace my main Mast's spreaders. I still have leaks into my cabin. I went crazy with caulk the other day... See if it helps. I am super hesitant to pay a pro, I really want to learn all this **** my self, there are no pros out in the middle of the ocean, and I want to be ready for that. Well as usual more updates will come as I break more stuff... Errr... I mean learn more lessons