Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2023, 08:23   #1

Aloha from Southern California

Hello All,

After many years away from the water (lots of work travel and landlocked life) I am hoping to get out on the water much more in 2024. Previously owned a WestSail 28 in Marina del Rey, and a lovely little Melonseed Skiff daysailer. Planning to dip my toes back in by chartering or joining a local club, doing some ASA refresher courses, and happy to crew locally with anyone looking for some sailing company. Hoping to gain lots of knowledge and maybe make a few sailing friends. I'm a professional film producer, having worked in the feature visual effects field for 30+ years (wow, time flies right!).

And if you're in SoCal and want to talk boats I have a pretty sweet home tiki bar (@stolenidol on Instagram). Hit me up and come over for a mai tai.

Ken
kendrickwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 18:17   #2

Re: Aloha from Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrickwallace View Post
Hello All,

After many years away from the water (lots of work travel and landlocked life) I am hoping to get out on the water much more in 2024. Previously owned a WestSail 28 in Marina del Rey, and a lovely little Melonseed Skiff daysailer. Planning to dip my toes back in by chartering or joining a local club, doing some ASA refresher courses, and happy to crew locally with anyone looking for some sailing company. Hoping to gain lots of knowledge and maybe make a few sailing friends. I'm a professional film producer, having worked in the feature visual effects field for 30+ years (wow, time flies right!).
And if you're in SoCal and want to talk boats I have a pretty sweet home tiki bar (@stolenidol on Instagram). Hit me up and come over for a mai tai.

Ken
Listening to your story, I get the impression that you enjoy being out to sea, and not just because of the nature of your profession and frequent travel. Today's weather is so amazing that it feels great to be floating on the water with wind and sunshine.
ghanitand56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 18:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghanitand56 View Post
Listening to your story, I get the impression that you enjoy being out to sea, and not just because of the nature of your profession and frequent travel. Today's weather is so amazing that it feels great to be floating on the water with wind and sunshine.
I do enjoying being on the water, especially under sail, and just being around the water in general. I'm also a someone who loves learning and projects, and what is more of a learning project than a sailboat, right!
Old 08-12-2023, 09:35   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Ken! I too made my way back to the sea a few years back, and just owning a boat, even if I don't get out on it as much I would like, helps keep me sane! Let me know if you are up in the Channel Islands area, there's some great sailing up here and fun places to go. And for some real fun you can help me sand the boat!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 10:09   #5

Hi Don!

Channel Islands isn't so far from me (an hour drive?). I'd be very happy to crew for you and lend a hand with some sanding too! What boat did you end up with? My plan (and I use the word plan loosely) is to get back on the water via a local sailing club with some advanced ASA courses and club sails, crew on local boats as I meet people who are interested, and then in a year or so buy a boat (ideally something like a Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37). Then spend a year outfitting and sailing the boat locally before heading out to cruise. I have a few more years left to work before I retire.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:31   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Sure, I'll send you a PM. I was just kidding about sanding the boat... sort of...

Sounds like a great plan and a great boat choice too. There is plenty of great sailing to be had around the Channel Islands for practice for any bigger trip. Just don't tell anybody... I like having anchorages all to myself.

My boat choice was born of my childhood experiences, my preferences, my budget, my family and where I am sailing, which for now is around the islands. Feel free to see my albums.

I am not yet sure I've "ended up" with my current boat, but she suits me well until my kids are out of college or I win the lottery.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 13:57   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome to CruisersForum!

I would suggest updating your profile with your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california