Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2023, 04:39   #1

Anyone willing to show me a sail boat and tell me a bit more?

Hi everyone,
I'm Ralph.
I used to fly small microlight weight aircraft like a Jabiru but, unfortunately, lost my licence after discovering I'd had epilepsy for 20 years "yes really"!
1 year later, my driving licence is back, but no more piloting for me unfortunately.
Oh, in case you are wondering, my full blown behemoth of a seizure would be... drum roll... stopping talking/listening for about 30 seconds but carrying on doing what I was doing! Yep, hence why we didn't notice
So, during Covid as I'm sure you've all heard hundreds of times since, I looked on the internet and was absolutely astounded to find out that sailing is affordable. I honestly thought you couldn't ever get near one, similar to the single hull 2nd from right at the top of the forum banner up there, for less than £250k+ so never dreamed of looking into it. Blame my Dad, who told me that, when I was much younger than 47!
Oh, if that one's £500K+ then just don't burst my bubble quite yet
So now obviously I'm blown away and, after thinking/chatting to my wife etc., for about 6 months I've decided to take a serious look into your amazing scene.
One of my favorite things piloting was when someone had never flown in a small plane before and we pretty much used to clamber over each other in our small club to take them up so they could see what all the fuss was about then watching them try to find words to explain what just happened when we landed whilst grinning from ear to ear.
I'm fingers crossed that, someone in the same vein, out there would be wiling to show me a sail yacht "any size" and I'm not asking to go out on the water etc. as I would just love to hear some real experience/stories/passion about it all from someone in the real know and see things with my own eyes.
I'm in Northamptonshire, Midlands UK, but I'm happy to drive to anywhere east or south coast areas to have a natter in person.
If you like to talk the hind legs off of a donkey then I'm all ears
You'll be pleased to know that no one has ever run away from me in the street screaming either so I think must be relatively normal despite what my wife says
Thanks,
Ralph.
RalphG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:17   #2

Boat: Gemini 3200
Re: Anyone willing to show me a sail boat and tell me a bit more?

For a start, read this thread

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3788382
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:31   #3

One thing I am sure that boats share with airplanes is that the purchase price is not even the beginning of the cost of ownership.

Some thoughts:
https://fetchinketch.net/boat_though...-should-i-buy/

By the way, By the way, if you could bottle the cause for that particular flavor of epilepsy, you might just have a HUGE market... Some husbands would give ANYTHING for 30 seconds of peace and quiet...
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 06:34   #4

Boat: ?

why not just go to a boat show?
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:11   #5

@SailingHarmonie
Again another bit of positive news: I was recently told that owning a boat was like pouring cash out of a wheelbarrow into a whirlpool but, but all of these years I'd been told that it was the equivalent of having a shared bank account with my wife, so even ownership seems to be reduced
I've only ever wished for enough cash to fill a wheelbarrow but the relief is still amazing!

Thank you very much for the link for a total newbie even a link recommendation is better than playing lucky dip with a blinding amount of search result options.

For a laugh on the epilepsy front "my wife said she now feels guilty for ignoring me for a whole day sometimes when I'd been rude by not replying to questions she'd asked right beside me" so you are right... if we could all think of a way to bottle this situation we'd all be billionaires!
Old 12-06-2023, 08:19   #6

Many clubs in my area of the USA have "open houses" around this time of year. They show off the club, and as a part of this they also have members volunteer to show off their boat.

I haven't been to one, but it seems like a fun way to meet people and to check out some yachts. Just an idea!

Boat shows are also a ton of fun. You often get to see really old wooden boats, brand new production boats with all the latest gadgets, and everything in between. Catamarans, Trimarans, monohulls, sailing dinghies... !

My suggestion with regards to "getting into sailing" is, to just do it. But start slow. Buy a small boat - something that is a little smaller than what you "think you can handle." Take some lessons if you want, they are fun! Or find someone who's looking for crew for race night.
nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 08:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby View Post
why not just go to a boat show?
I was seriously concerned of starting with a WOW factor of shiny surfaces and technical gizmos amazement drawing me away from what I'd be more interested in: The WOW factor of "long established engineering and knowing that the fascinating thing I'd just heard was the truth from someone's real experiences, be it the operation of equipment to a sea life experience, and not a sales pitch". I'm as interested in the way of life and how people balance work and the pleasure etc.
Also, let's face it, I certainly won't be starting out with the skill or budget to start with a new one so best I keep my eyes on the road ahead for a while.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:10   #8

Ralph:

There are such things as frugal wives. I have one. That's why we can afford a boat :-).

You may be old enough to remember a device called a "phonograph". If so, you will know what I mean when I say I sound "like a broken record." You may also be old enough to remember when eight quid was a fair week's wages. You may be able to remember a time when you could buy a Riley RME 1.5 litre in good nick for fifty quid. You might even remember the Luton Minor. But times have changed.

So hear this: The day you pay for a sailboat, you must put a sum equivalent to the purchase price into a separate bank account. I call mine "the boat account" because it is too ironic and too embarrassing to call it by the name it properly carries in accounting circles: a "sinking fund".

Every month thereafter, for as long as you own the boat, you must put a "contribution" into the sinking fund. How much? It depends on the size of the boat. For a thirty-footer, 600 quid is about right. For a forty-footer, 1200 quid is nearer the mark. You will then find that after a reasonable length of ownership, ALL that money has been expended in just owning and keeping the boat. Never mind TAKING it anywhere!

Now a Jabiru is a nifty little aircraft. Good for about a hundred and ten or a hundred and twenty knots, I shouldn't doubt. Now a sailboat, whether it be a thirty-footer or a forty-footer, you are talking four or five knots! On passage the boredom will drive you nuts if the weather is benign. If it isn't, the stark terror will get you. If you don't believe me, go stand by Bamburgh Lighthouse looking out towards the Farne Islands when the north wind comes down from the Norwegian Sea howling like a thousand demented banshees!

Now despite all that, we'll be very glad to help you get off to a good start in a world ENTIRELY different from that of light aircraft and from the green and pleasant land of Northamptonshire. But it IS a different world, so be sure that you - and your wife - really want to do it!

All the best

TrentePieds, FDP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 09:18   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG1 View Post
I was seriously concerned of starting with a WOW factor of shiny surfaces and technical gizmos amazement drawing me away from what I'd be more interested in: The WOW factor of "long established engineering and knowing that the fascinating thing I'd just heard was the truth from someone's real experiences, be it the operation of equipment to a sea life experience, and not a sales pitch". I'm as interested in the way of life and how people balance work and the pleasure etc.
Also, let's face it, I certainly won't be starting out with the skill or budget to start with a new one so best I keep my eyes on the road ahead for a while.
I can't help you from Toronto, But I agree with your approach. Suggest you visit yacht clubs, sailing clubs etc. There are many who would like to show off their boats and have a chat with you.

Every time I see a boat that interests me, I ask for a tour. Been doing this for 30 years and have never been turned away.
Old 12-06-2023, 12:51   #10

Everyone, thank you so much for all your experience, opinions and advice.
I wasn't even quite sure what I was hoping for, being so green to the scene, but I certainly wasn't expecting to receive 1/10 of what you have just so quickly and kindly given:
The links, The correction to my understanding of boat shows, Yacht clubs and sailing clubs members happy to show people around at times. The "never turned down in 30 yrs" was a nice touch to add as I now know to at least ask, knowing a better lay of the land.
The pricing advice was so warmly received, I'd read to expect about 10% annually so the "initial boat account" plus monthly was a great eye-opener and you've put me in a fantastic position to really understand my initial target budget without it becoming a financial gotcha later on! I'll now halve it and sleep easier as I begin the journey! I showed my wife this thread and she enjoyed your sense of humor and warm welcome so I sure owe you all a huge thanks. Ralph
Old 12-06-2023, 13:06   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Ralph, if you are ever up in Cumbria, get in touch, I have a 47' foot boat in Whitehaven.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 13:06   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG1 View Post
Everyone, thank you so much for all your experience, opinions and advice.
I wasn't even quite sure what I was hoping for, being so green to the scene, but I certainly wasn't expecting to receive 1/10 of what you have just so quickly and kindly given:
The links, The correction to my understanding of boat shows, Yacht clubs and sailing clubs members happy to show people around at times. The "never turned down in 30 yrs" was a nice touch to add as I now know to at least ask, knowing a better lay of the land.
The pricing advice was so warmly received, I'd read to expect about 10% annually so the "initial boat account" plus monthly was a great eye-opener and you've put me in a fantastic position to really understand my initial target budget without it becoming a financial gotcha later on! I'll now halve it and sleep easier as I begin the journey! I showed my wife this thread and she enjoyed your sense of humor and warm welcome so I sure owe you all a huge thanks. Ralph
You might also want to spend some time learning how to inspect a vessel.
Try this ... Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 12-06-2023, 13:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Ralph, if you are ever up in Cumbria, get in touch, I have a 47' foot boat in Whitehaven.
Blimey Nigel, that's an offer I certainly hope to be able to take you up on. I'll probably have to look around with one eye closed though, so when I see something smaller with 2 eyes open I'm not left wanting

Seriously though I'd love to, thank you.
Old 12-06-2023, 14:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You might also want to spend some time learning how to inspect a vessel.
Oh! That's a handy one. It's great to be able to be in a position to approach this with a more level head, thanks to all this advice.
Old 12-06-2023, 14:14   #15

Boat: Mirage 35

Analogous to your example of someone's first time in a small plane:

Find a chance to go out on a nice day. The moment when the sails are raised, the engine is turned off, and the boat just starts to go on its own ... is magic (for me and probably everybody else on here).

That's when you'll know if it's for you.

Tags
boat, sail, sail boat