Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2013, 11:25   #1

Boat: Vancouver 25 Oday 25
Arm Chair Sailor Being Punished

With retirement looming bought my first old boat (oday 25) then bought 2nd old boat(Vancouver 25) Finding the learning curve huge and reading is not the same as exp . Anyway I am determined to epuip these boats with nessesary. Stuff myself . The money funnel is wide open now just need a second wind . Realized boat work sucks nothing is square, very little to fasten new equip too. Not to mention a fear of drilling new holes . Been reading about sailing away for 10 Yrs (latitude38) don't do computer much found this site and haven't put it down wife thinks I ignoring her and threatens to disconnect service, she doesn't realize the amount of info on here is incredible. I may be rambling put the pressure to change lifestyle is mounting . When wife said ya lets do it she in ignorance is blessed with out knowledge of the commitment nessesary . She's kinda learning $$$ it takes. Our plan is to sail from San Fran to New York via Panama Canal Starting Oct 2015 (BaHaHa) I have not been captain of any vessel at sea . But spent 4yrs duty on USS CARRIER CV 67 JFK I think they know how to avoid rough water cause 95% time it was clear blue seas. I worked in the AC&R shop . Been across the Gulf Stream 3 times on a cruise ship and was a little surprised how rough it was. Small boats lake sailing about 12 days total no lessons but I have found it quite natural feeling and know the pleasure of a good hull when I've found the groove. Oh yes that's what it's all about feeling. I'm pretty sure the economic recovery will happen but it probably won't include me and won't be nice to middle income old farts trying to live off fixed incomes like I will be. So move over make room I'm moving in. I'll be the one sitting on bucket and carting ice 25yrs of fixing **** is enought BTW ANY ONE NEED 9 CATS /. 3 DOGS ? Dallen Auburn CA
Dallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 11:38   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: ARM CHAIR SAILOR BEING PUNISHED

Welcome! Good luck with your plans and preparation!
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 11:48   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard Dallen. Informative and interesting first post, glad you found us!

Your wife may be right, CF can take over your life - just like sailing / boating / cruising can. Anyway you sound like you have just joined the rollercoaster ride of just messing about with boats!!!

If I may be so bold as to offer a tiny weanie bit of advice so early on in your CF association, try to put some paragraphs in your posts. Not for any other reason than it helps the rest of us to read and comprehend exactly what you are sharing. That's why you are posting isn't it, to communicate whatever you want to to the rest of us and the odd paragraph or two it will really help us out (at least me, anyway).

Look forward to hearing more of you adventures as you leave the armchair behind .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 16:05   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Good luck with your ambitions. The Vancouvers are great boats but you may want to look a little larger like the Vancouver 27 if you going to go small. Doing that long a cruise with two people in a 25' boat is going to be interesting

A Vancouver 27 came through this year on it's way to, of all places, Vancouver. The owner had owned the boat for a long time, had been to Europe with it and was doing a solo delivery from the Carribean. He had nothing but praise for the design. I was amazed at the interior room and storage for a 27' boat. There is also one for sale here at around $20,000. The previous owner threw away the diesel and went electric, apparently not too successfully. Though that may be just the nature of electric propulsion as it tends to have no range.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 16:12   #5

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

Welcome. Sail your boat every chance you get. Meet some friends to help you learn, and watch videos (YouTube) and read books. Maybe take some lessons. Have fun and be safe. Get that boat out to SF Bay - and local lakes - and you will find if you (and the wife) really like it. Good luck to 'ya.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 16:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ARM CHAIR SAILOR BEING PUNISHED

Hi... Welcome to CF..
Can't figure out why your fixing 2 boats up... sell the Oday and concentrate on the Vancouver...
Best wishes

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 16:30   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greeti ngs and welcome aboard the CF, Dallen.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 18:53   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Arm Chair Sailor Being Punished

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and thanks for your service. Those big old Bird Farms made all seas seem calm. I started out on Destroyers where just a few feet of waves will make you roll.
kind regards,