Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2023, 16:27   #1

Boat: Trophy 2359
Australian Crew

Hello all and thank you for allowing me to join. This post will also be a bit of an introduction. I am from Victoria in Australia and planning to undertake the liveaboard life style travelling North in the winter where it is cold in Victoria and returning in the Summer to see the family and friends. I am seriously in the planning stage but whilst my preference was to do this aboard a sailing vessel, my physical injuries (I believe) will prevent this so I am looking at the most cost effective (fuel efficient) trawler I can get. An accomplished international sailor friend suggested maybe a motor sailor as an “in between” but these are very hard to find in Australia. I will be selling my property to buy the boat and supplement my Disability Pension payments which is AUD $2,200 per month.
My biggest hurdle at this stage is finding a companion for safety reasons and to help with some of the costs maybe. In addition, I think I would go crazy being on my own the entire time.
Can anyone give me some advice on sites/places is Australia where meeting other interested people to see if I can get another person to join me. Any other input really would be appreciated. Thank you in advance
Darren – The Cruising Roo
Cruising Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 20:28   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Australian Crew

Welcome to the forum...don't we all wish for a "companion" to share the cost!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 23:22   #3

Boat: Volkscruiser

Cruising Roo, I don't want to rain on your parade but how some more details about your sea going experience. When your saying companion I am thinking you have not been in the marine scene long enough to know that a good sea going companion is rarer than rocking horse poo.
There are a few motor sailers on Yachthub, the Salar 40 would be a good choice, but it has not been upgraded much and the interior looks very tired in the photos. The Wilson Motor Sailer would be my pick of the boats available.
Have you lived and sailed aboard before? I am only asking as one of my clients only owned their boat for three days before realising it was not for them and put the boat back on the market. Plenty of my clients have sold their new to them boat within 12 months of owning it and decided to pursue other interests.
$2200 is not much of a budget to own, maintain, sail and live on a boat here in Australia. We budget $10,000 a year for our 32-foot yacht, that includes marina and insurance. Some of my clients tell me they are going to skip marinas and insurance but that's almost impossible or incredibly hard work.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 00:14   #4

Thanks for your reply Fore and Aft. I certainly have not lived aboard before hence the interest in others opinion and for that i thank you. I only have my coxswains ticket which I gained in early 1990’s. I am 60 years old and have had (in my opinion) sufficient enough experience to do what I am planning. I was an accountant for many years and understand costings and there are other sources of income that I will ensure are in place before I take on this venture like 1 or 2 rental properties that I will acquire once I sell my property. I did not mention this because none of this has actually happened. I am rather “anal” when it comes to planning and all of the issues with “sea experience”. I am only going to harbour hop around the East coast of Australia and only steam in day light hours and again, feel comfortable about doing this.
Celestialsailor’s comment about good luck getting someone to share costs is what I was looking for. I recall over 20 years ago when I first started planning to sail the oceans and there were sites where so many people were wanting to come aboard boats but this may have changed.
I only wish I was fit enough (no injuries) so I could sail but it is what it is and I want to make the most of what I can do. Again…thank you very much and it is practical advice from experienced people that is all that matters to me. Any other advice from non experienced people means nothing in my opinion.
Darren
Old 07-01-2023, 01:20   #5

Honestly, first up find someone with a boat to get some experience on. The idea of someone at 60, with physical issues, with no real experience thinking they can just "harbour hop around the East coast of Australia" is terrifying frankly.

Rather than looking for crew/companion, I would suggest looking for boats you can crew on. Maybe search for boats looking for crew already up the coast where you can fly North and join them?

If you dont believe you have the physical ability to sail, then I dont think a motor sailer is a good choice, presumably you wont be able to sail it so you are just buying a boat with all the expense of a sailing rig you cant use.

Some of your ideas are fanciful, its simply not possible to always steam in daylight hours, there are times when the distances or conditions preclude that.

Also the idea of going North every year & then returning to Victoria every summer is a fairly ambitious agenda for someone your age with physical issues, you have to go a long way North to get out of the winter cold, and its a bloody long haul back each season to Victoria!

Maybe go back to square on and think about what you want to achieve? Buying a suitable powerboat up North, in an area you would be happy to live, and then occasionally flying south to see family in Victoria maybe a more practical solution?

I can imagine doing that somewhere like Yeppoon say, lots of nice spots out of there, great climate, good marina...
Galumay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 04:14   #6

Boat: Imexus 28

I know this doesn’t quite fit your plan and you haven’t explained your particular physical challenges but here’s a suggestion anyway.
If really intending to follow the sun for boating/sailing/water life have you considered instead maximum sized trailable options.
I am slightly older than you but perhaps without the physical constraints but I don’t like long days at sea in sometimes uncertain weather conditions standing short rotating watches often sleep deprived.
I have instead chosen a large trailable power/motor sailer combined with a small AWD truck and slide on camper.
This gives me reasonably comfortable both land and sea options and out of secondary interest also managed to secure a mature aged lady to share the adventure.
(Outstandingly lucky, I know especially as when we met I was grossly overweight!)
The slide on camper also allows freedom with separating the vehicle if required as well as land based adventures leaving the yacht in secure storage but originally I was just going to use the yacht for inland transit accommodation and tow it with a Touareg 4x4.
My new partner also expressed interest to see inland as well as coastal and waterways Australia and this was my solution to satisfy her dream as well.
Alternatives include trailerable cruising powerboats, trailerable houseboats, and just standard large trailerable yachts all of which I reviewed.
We however also found an exceptionally cheap waterfront home in a little known corner of South Australia which we can holiday let in our extended absences but gives us the ability to store our stuff and I occasionally return to rest and regroup.
Just throwing up some alternative solutions that perhaps may be worth cherry picking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58D12CA1-A02D-4093-9977-35040E34E521.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	450.0 KB
ID:	269643   Click image for larger version

Name:	269C4CC4-2D90-4928-B52E-0F58ED0E6003.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	269644  

Name:	EB86F3F8-04DA-43C0-A35D-7F97A91C54A7.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	443.1 KB
ID:	269645  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 09:19   #7

Boat: ?

id suggesting focusing on finding that caring "companion" 1st... then start the boat search afterwards (if the intention is not not do sailing thing alone)

it's not that difficult actually... just smile. and learn the local magic word when approaching a female ( "hi" in english)

i'd respectfully suggest starting your search in the philippines/phuket areas... you'll find affordable seaworthy ships there and more than likely good female there as well who will willing to share in your dream...
(just do not expect anyone err,..her to share in any costs whatsoever)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 13:02   #8

Boat: Imexus 28

Forgot to mention regarding finding a companion. I met my new partner via online dating as at the time I lived in a very small rural town with limited appropriate single ladies complicated by being rather high profile in my tiny community.
Had to wade through a whole lot of very clever (and some not so clever ) scammers and did a number of unsuccessful coffee dates before striking it lucky.
I laid out my background and objectives clearly in my profile and used real photos highlighting what I really looked like.
I considered the overseas option highlighted above but then there is pretty much no chance of co contribution and likely to be saddled with their family finance issues even if lucky enough not to just get a gold digger.
I was advised by a friend to look at Asian ladies but had dismissed that option as few seem interested in sailing/boating and the outdoors life generally.
Well I ended up with a very lovely and capable Chinese lady who was both a dedicated backpacker and financially about as sound as me who has adapted brilliantly to boating.
I count myself exceptionally lucky. She has also assisted me in reducing my weight by 40kgs returning me to close to my old pre business ownership and subsequent divorce 12 years ago much fitter self.
Just telling the storey as despite likely setbacks there is hope.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E5055752-FDBC-4F92-92E4-C7E9B27B4411.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	269669  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 16:53   #9

Well there certainly is some interesting comments. Galamay, your assumption that I do not have experience is without foundation and I mentioned that I got my coxswains ticket in early 1990’s. I skippered commercial fishing boats on a part time basis and have owned not less than 20 recreation boats in my life ranging from the 2 small craft I have now to a 7.8 meter custom plate allow. One needs to prove considerable sea time in larger boats to even get your coxswains ticket which I did. I have not owned a liveaboard boat. I will not respond to some of your other comments
Your suggestion Girth ironically is very close to what I had considered many years ago and frankly is a great idea. I wanted to do this configuration so I could tow a largish fishing boat as I am a fishing tragic and qualified scuba diver. I have a 4WD (Ranger) and great off road caravan as well. In terms of on line dating, been there and met a lady who I have been with for about 2 years now and despite her HUGE interest in the boating life, capacity and willingness to contribute financially, she has “issues” and I do not have great hope she will get over these in time to join me sadly. It sounds like you have a great life Girth so all the best there.
The ’over seas’ lady option… I only recently sold my condo in Pattaya Thailand where I lived full time for a few years. I can tell you that all of the comments are valid and frankly, I could tell you some extraordinary examples of friends in Thailand falling foul to Thai ladies. It probably would be safer sailing a bath tub across the Pacific ocean…if you know what I mean.
Chubby, the option to buy a boat in the Philippines and Thailand can also pose problems as it is very hard to get someone who is not corrupt to survey any boat. I have a close friend who has two beautiful sailing vessels in Thailand and has sailed to world several times…he is well experienced. The other issues is getting it back home which I am well aware people do this for a fee but I certainly would not captain it. I will speak to my friend tonight and see what he says. He is retired in Thailand; is very knowledgeable and more than helpful so thanks Chubby. In concluding, some brilliant suggestions so thanks heaps. There also are some presumptuous, unfounded and far from helpful comments as well but I guess this is the nature of these sites
Old 07-01-2023, 17:04   #10

Apologies for misjudging your experience mate, as a professional skipper myself I know how little experience is required to get a coxswains ticket these days and based on the other info in your original post I made incorrect assumptions about your experience.

None the less I think most of my comments are worthy of consideration, other than the crewing one which was based on my misjudgement of your prior experience.
Galumay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 17:14   #11

All good Galumay.
Old 11-01-2023, 22:18   #12

I sailed singlehanded around the world when I turned 65 and was entitled to the pension. Sounds as if you are a little apprehensive and unsure of your capabilities. Sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns and just do it! you may surprise yourself?

All the best, J,
Liza Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 23:01   #13

I have a few messages to reply to so because I come from Australia where the4 rest of the world think we are "down under" and a bit "backwards"... I will start from the end and work back. Thank you Liza Lee. You are right that I am unsure and apprehensive which I think is normally not a disadvantage and a bit of a "safety factor" but it is good to hear encouraging stories like yours. Thank you and "keep on sailing". Darren
Old 12-01-2023, 00:26   #14

Boat: Volkscruiser

Liza Lee what route, what sort of yacht.
Cruising Roo generally speaking there are more single males than any other demographic out cruising. YouTube has helped introduce more couples and woman to sailing. But single males would easily be 40% of my customers.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 00:29   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Liza Lee what route, what sort of yacht.
Cruising Roo generally speaking there are more single males than any other demographic out cruising. YouTube has helped introduce more couples and woman to sailing. But single males would easily be 40% of my customers.
Cheers
You ol' devil you For and Aft... Are you match making mate... Im keen !! LOL

Tags
Australia, crew