Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2015, 07:16   #1

Back again!

I was here a while back, reading through everything, gathering info, and now back again. Just thought it'd been that long that I'd re-introduce myself. I've still been gathering info and reading, but across other sites and forums. Just over 2 years ago we had move to and then back from Spain from the US on our own, taken a RYA Competent Crew course while in Spain across the flight line in Gib, and now just finished up our ASA 101 and finishing up 103 here in the grand ole reservoir outside of the lovely waterside city of Denver, CO (yes, sarcasm).

We, like many, had grand ideas of learning to sail and then moving aboard and traveling the world. Well, that bug hasn't left us. After a few years here in Denver, which we love, we're now planning to move to the coast somewhere next year. Currently on our radar is Florida. This solves multiple problems of wanting to sail more, finding a boat, and being the near the water to name a few.

I'm retired US Navy (zero to do with "sailing"), and the wife is a retired UK police detective. Our driving force is we both love to travel and be independent. We have no real ties, and both have lifelong pensions, so pretty much free to do what we want, within reason.

Neither of us want to work the usual 9-5 jobs (for me, that's 7-5) until we're retirement age (both retired in our 40s from previous careers). We sucked ourselves back into the work arena by buying another house, furnishing it, and building debt. Like so many times in the past, we're dumping debt to move forward with our plans.

Since I still have GI BIll education benefits available, I'm thinking of going to school in FL for a year for Marine Diesel Mechanic. No reason, other than my own benefit as I don't plan to use it toward a full time job, maybe the odd job around a marina we're in for some extra $$, but more than anything, I should be able to fix my own motor, and the benefits the GI Bill provides will help with living expenses for that year and we can save more.

During this time, we'll either have bought a boat or be seriously looking for one to buy and move aboard. From there, do some day sails, get more experience, and start planning longer outings to gain confidence on top of additional experience.

What kind of boat? We find a lot we like the look of online, but are fairly limited in options to look at up close and personal here in Denver. We're heading to the Annapolis Sailboat Show in a few weeks to have a browse, though will never buy a new boat unless we hit the lottery, but it'll give us a feel for different layouts, sizes, etc. Plus, there'll be some used boats there to look at too! We think we'd like about a 40'-47'. We'd love a catamaran, but the $$$ is problematic, so will probably go with a single hull. I won't start listing exact types as it's pretty useless at the moment, but will be looking for a good blue water S/V (yes, I know that's another discussion).

We know it's not all cheese, wine, and fresh fish daily, but a lot of upkeep and work. Our overall goal, as is everyone else's starting out usually, is to travel the globe. We know ourselves pretty well, so know that's not an unachievable goal for us. We've already made connections with like-minded people who are similar to us, either a few years into sailing coming from our same position, or having just bought a boat from our same position.

Glad to be here, and I'll probably be a bit more active from this point on as we move forward!

Michael

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Unklebuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 03:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Back again!

Greetings and welcome back aboard the CF, Michael.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 04:09   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Back again!

Welcome back UB!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote