Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 03:39   #1

bailing out of the rat race

Greetings all,
Here's my not so abbreviated story; turning 50 this year, sold the biz, packed the suits, bought a little canal front cottage on the Outer Banks (Kill Devil Hills on the Albemarle; Colington Island to be more specific). Moving down full time with the wife and our 9 yr old daughter this summer. Sort of a semi-retirement adventure since we'll still be working part time. My sailing-water background is a probably a bit different than most here (sunfish-lightning fun at the Lake Huron family camp growing up, worked on commerical scalloping boats and as a PADI dive instructor during college summers off, raced in a Hobie 16 fleet in Grad school, but by far most of my "psuedo" sailing time has been windsurfing-kiteboarding during my working years). No real cruiser experience.

Part of this new adventure is to acquire an older 35ish shoal draft monohull for basic cruising on the Albemarle, Pamlico and Chesapeake with the wife and daughter (like a Tartan 34-37 or equiv). No bluewater intentions and trips limited to the 2-5 day range. I'd luv a small beachable cruising cat (Gemini 105) for this type of water but think I'd prefer a $50k initial outlay over $100k. Wife wants to rennovate the cottage first. Anyway our new community has a nice little sailing club so I'll see if I can crew on some of the (very) informal Wed races just to get a feel for some different boats as well as tap into this forum, which has already been very helpful. Doubt I'd be useful for any advice unless you want to know something about kiteboarding-windsurfing.

Cheers,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0537.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	2635  
live2kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:22   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Welcome Dave and congratulations on the new semi-retirement. Tartans are excellent boats and it sounds as if you've got a plan.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:44   #3

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Dave,

Welcome aboard,

I also worked on a commerical scalloper on Georges Banks, that was many years ago as well as sailing on Houghton Lake in the upper part of the lower peninsula, my family had a small cottage there. Good Luck on your search, this is a great forum.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:11   #4
cruiser

Welcome Dave, but be careful about offering to answer all my kite surfing questions! ha ha

I have a ton. I have been very interested in this sport, but found the equipment was so expensive I didn't want to add it to my list of overly expensive hobbies. ha ha

I'm an old snowboarder - appeared in the 80's in TransWorld Snowboarding competing in the US's first halfpipe competition. Love boarding of all types and that one looked good to augment for times when there is no snow and you are at the boat.

The air you guys get (with the help of the chute) is UNREAL!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:12   #5

Yeah I worked on a smaller 50' Bruno Stillman out of Hyannis in the 78 time frame. Just a crew of 5 with 3 day trips the norm, so not out to Georges for us

Our family camp was part of the Les Cheneaux Islands on Michigan's UP (You'll see "Long Island" on Google Maps right next to Marquette). Still have the camp but I haven't been there in ages. I remember some amazing cruisers anchored out in the bay just after the Mackinac races

SS, pushing 50 here so I sure don't jump as high as the young bucks. Here's a clip of my feeble skill set.

Actually AARP ran a nice little clip on kiteboarding so not just for the youngins either Flowin' in the Wind

OK, I now will shut up about kiteboarding since this is a cruisers forum
live2kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:00   #6

Boat: Cape Dory Intrepid, 28 ft, Credo
Live2kite,
I like your plan. I'd love to move down there myself.
Your kite clip looks great. Nice moves! I may have to try it myself (I'm 55). I do a lot of windsurfing when not sailing my Cape Dory. I love windsurfing but the compact kite gear is appealing.

Oliver
olivertwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:04   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Congrats Dave, you'll never look back and will probably ask yourself why you didn't do it earlier. Work is highly overrated.
Old 10-02-2008, 13:48   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Excellent Dave. Welcome to the club of people who are doing it, will soon be doing it or wish they were doing it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 14:20   #9

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
Welcome! Nice view from your cottage.
Old 10-02-2008, 17:19   #10

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Dave,

I sailed out of New London on a 110 foot Eastern Rig, named Zebu. I was fishing in the late 70s as well, we were out for 14 days or so. Seems so long ago..
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 11:07   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Dave,
Welcome aboard! I really like your preference for vessel size and number of hulls. Good choice. There are so many available in your area I'm certain you'll find just what you want.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 11:13   #12

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
Welcome Dave,

I'm up the road in Portsmouth. See you on the water.

Bill
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote