Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2008, 08:57   #1

can't wait for the day...

Hi all you lucky folks,
I have dreamed all my life of the day I get to move on to my 41 ft Morgan. Forget that I havn't sailed a day in my life, it's my dream and I'm gonna do it. I have about 8 years until my finances will allow me to make the jump, but I want to start preparing now so a couple of easy questions. How would you rate the virgen Isles sailing school? The week long 1650.00$ course seems like a good place to start to me. I currently live near Houston, Tx, so what kind of economical boat would be ideal for some week-ends on the water. Any comments or advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Illinitogo
illinitogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:52   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Illinitogo,
Welcome aboard!! I can't help you with your specific question about a sailing school. I do think classes are a good idea thought.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:08   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome I:
Classes are a great way to learn to sail and to meet people with like interests. I don't know the T\Houston Sailing scene but in SF where Ilearned to sail there are plenty of sailing clubs where you can take lessons then start chartering their boats. That way you meet people and then learn about boats. It is more economical than ownership though it does take away some of the pleasure/pain from owning a boat.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:19   #4

Welcome

It’s not clear to me whether or not you already own a Morgan 41. The O/I 41s are strong, heavy, slow boats that don’t point very well to windward. They make excellent liveaboard cruising boats, but are not particularly good to learn on.

I don’t know anything about the sailing school you mention. But if it gives you a week of hands-on sailing in small responsive boats, you will have the basic skills you need to sail a larger boat. The rest is practice and applying those skills in different situations - you can spend a lifetime doing that - plus navigation, anchoring, docking, troubleshooting, etc.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 18:29   #5

I don't own a boat at this time I would like to buy a small day sailer to learn on for the next few years
illinitogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:14   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome to the site.

I also know nix about the sailing school you mention but guess they can provide references from other people who've been before and maybe worth speaking with them direct.

Applaud the plan to get a small day sailor and hit the water. Its the start up bit thats the most fun with sailing - as a rule you learn the most in the shortest time period.

Anyway - all the best and good luck in living the dream.

JOHN