Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2010, 12:34   #1

Boat: Looking
College Grad from Georgia Looking for a Relaxing Year

Hello there sea dogs. My name is Michael and I have just graduated from college. In order to delay my entrance into the real world I've gotten the crazy idea to buy a small cruiser and spend a few months sailing around Florida and the Bahamas.

First things first, I need to learn to sail. Haha. I have a solid 3 months of work and plunty of time to learn.

Second step is investing in a quality "affordable" boat. I am currently looking at a few 25-30ft cruisers. If anyone has an opinion on these boats (good, bad, expensive, etc) please let me know. I am desperate for some non-biased advice. I will post the links to the boats in the next post, I am writing from my phone.

Third, cost. I can afford the price of the boat, food, gas, and other expendatures (alcohol). But I have no idea any of the hidden costs, dock fees?registration costs? If anyone can give me a list of actual costs instead of having to guess what they would be greatful.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions or even a better boat please let me know.

I can not wait to enjoy a long vacation on the seas.
GeorgiaPhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:16   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Of the boats that you listed the two builders I'm most familiar with are Cal and Pearson. I don't know why the Cal 39 has such a low price but if all it needs is minor TLC it might be a bargain. The Pearson is a good buy too.
For more information check the two links after my signature and the book recommendation.
As soon as you can take a basic sailing course the more you can sort things out about what kind of boat you want.
regards,
Old 01-05-2010, 13:04   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Just a reality check. Cruising IS NOT a vacation and is frequently anything but relaxing. It is a life style, or maybe an adventure but a vacation is isn't.

We love the life style and laugh when people ask "what do you do with all your free time?"

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 13:35   #5

Boat: Downeast 32
Cal 36 in Ventura California $ 9,000. Good shape needs clean up and if I didn't have my DE32 I would buy this in a heartbeat. I have seen it it's on the next dock over from mine.
agrainofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 13:54   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Cruising is much closer to camping than kicking back at a resort. Its definitely rewarding but not relaxing as you are imagining. I say go for it but ask cruisers what they are experiencing to keep your expectations in check.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 18:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Cal and Pearson are both good names. The 39 Cal seems like an awfully low price. If TLC only I would jump on it but be careful. There can be serious structural problems that are not obvious to a casual observer that could make a cheap boat more expensive than it's worth.

These could be hull to deck joint, bulkhead problems and wet/rotten core in the deck. If you aren't familiar with how to check for these problems it would be worthwhile getting a good surveyor. If you are going to insure the boat (required by a lot of marinas) you will have to have a survey anyway.

"Hidden" costs? Well could be many. Marinas usually charge by the foot. For 27-32' boat figure a min of $200-$300/month, more if you stay on board, have power hooked up and possibly a lot more if you are close to town, NOTE: unless they have changed the law recently GA prohibits living aboard your boat.

Engine maintenance like a car, change fluids, tighten belts, etc. but can cost more than a car. Major repairs, new sails, other expensive items are infrequent so hard to plan.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote