Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 17:16   #1

Communication

I'm exploring the feasibility of living on a boat in the Caribbean in the winter and the east coast in the summer. I need internet and cell phone service for a few hours a day to keep things in order back in Dallas Is there cell phone service that would follow me thruout the Caribbean? Could someone give me a rough idea of what's out there and the associated cost?
Jimmy-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 16:58   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Communication

Try a different thread, like destinations.
Old 22-09-2014, 17:41   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Communication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Kim View Post
I'm exploring the feasibility of living on a boat in the Caribbean in the winter and the east coast in the summer. I need internet and cell phone service for a few hours a day to keep things in order back in Dallas Is there cell phone service that would follow me thruout the Caribbean? Could someone give me a rough idea of what's out there and the associated cost?
Hey JK -There are many threads on internet & WiFi. Suggest a Google Search (click my link below) for Carrinbean WiFi.

Bottom line is that at sea you won't get anything but the most expensive solutions. In marinas you will get sketchy WiFi. You may also have to be "checked in" the Marina to be close enough to get the signal or it may have a password. You can "steal" WiFi on the hook with amplifiers boosters, directional antennae etc.

Regarding cell coverage - Unless you want to have a subscription (US phone) and pay roaming charges ($$$) you will generally need a solution for each country. In Asia basically people have phones with replaceable SIM cards. You buy a reloadable SIM card in the country you are in - Often $30 for the SIM and a basic starter load (10-20 minutes) and then you basically reload it with a scratch card or some have internet based reloading.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote