Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 07:47   #1

Cruisers leasing private piers short term

Hey guys this is my first post, forgive me if I screw something up. (Couldn't find an appropriate existing forum but I'm open to suggestions).

Last time I cruised down the ICW it struck me that there were gob loads of empty private docks and piers just sitting there doing nothing. I can't help but think that the owners of these docks could make a few dollars leasing them to cruisers who were passing through. There are a couple of websites that allow travelers to find accommodation like B&B's, private rooms, short term vacation rentals etc. I was wondering if anyone knew of an equivalent site that facilitated owners of piers listing themselves ...details like nightly price, maximum stay, power/water, depth etc. I know I'd be thrilled at the idea of handing over a few dollars just to have somewhere to tie up for the night and access to land, particularly in areas where there's just no room to anchor. There'd be little or no downside for the owners of the piers...and you'd think a few extra bucks wouldn't hurt.

Ideas/opinions?
boatenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cruisers leasing private piers short term

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, boatenvy.

www.southfloridadockrental.com/

http://www.docksearch.com/s/search_s...sting_state=FL

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16   #3

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

The fly in the ointment is insurance and govt regulation. The few dollars the dock owners would get paid would not cover the potential downside.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 17:22   #4

Thanks for the sites GordMay...sadly neither of them are the sort of thing I'm thinking of ...and there seems to be very few listings on them. I am wondering about insurance and regulations...I'm an Aussie and it always astonishes me how the 'land of the free' is constantly restricted by regulations and the fear of getting sued. Guess I'll do a little research and see what I find.

Thanks again for the replies guys.
boatenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 18:03   #5

The other downside for the owners is that most of these docks are beside the people's houses, so they would have people they don't really know docking beside their house.

Most probably don't want to deal with it.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 18:37   #6

Boat: Various

There are many docks leased by homeowners but not to cruisers just passing through. That is definitely not worth the trouble for the few dollars one might get. I certainly would not rent short term to someone I didn't know. I'd let friends stay a few nights for free.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 18:47   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatenvy View Post
I am wondering about insurance and regulations...I'm an Aussie and it always astonishes me how the 'land of the free' is constantly restricted by regulations and the fear of getting sued. Guess I'll do a little research and see what I find.
When consumer advocacy went to the extremes (in the 70's) and society decided that when someone gets hurt someone else must always pay, America lost the bubble.

You can't protect against stupid and neighbors suing neighbors is pretty stupid...

Life's tough wear a helmet.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 19:01   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

People who own waterfront homes usually have enough money that they'd rather not bother with strangers in their back yard. If they do need the money, they can rent space to someone local who will be there all the time.

I have kept my boat in a friends back yard for 25 years but I knew him several years before I even asked.
Old 05-07-2014, 19:30   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
People who own waterfront homes usually have enough money that they'd rather not bother with strangers in their back yard.
And that's the bottom line.

Turn the question around. If you had extra space in your back yard right next to your house would you want to rent it out to strangers to park a camper there for a few days?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 19:57   #10

This has nothing to do with litigation or rules or anything else but just no one wants an unknown transient in their yard. Not in an RV, on a boat, or pitching up a tent.
Old 05-07-2014, 21:40   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
This has nothing to do with litigation or rules or anything else but just no one wants an unknown transient in their yard. Not in an RV, on a boat, or pitching up a tent.
In one dimension this is also a sad commentary - It's not as if a guy in a 40 foot benne is going to be a vagrant or a criminal.

My brother and I went backpacking for a couple months in the 70's - long haired -hippie kids. We pitched tent in all kinds of farmer's fields - always asked, never turned down...

I imagine the police would be called these days.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:55   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
In one dimension this is also a sad commentary - It's not as if a guy in a 40 foot benne is going to be a vagrant or a criminal.

My brother and I went backpacking for a couple months in the 70's - long haired -hippie kids. We pitched tent in all kinds of farmer's fields - always asked, never turned down...

But, renting to anyone in the same place where you live can come with other issues. The guy w the 40' Benne could be a jerk or bring in guests/workers of unknown character. If so, I don't want him living in my backyard. And if you get into a lease dispute...not a pleasant situation.

For example, I've got a guest house at my place in Guate. Friends use it occassionally but mostly it sits vacant. I've thought about renting it out, but would only want to rent to someone I know and like (who I would probably just let use the place anyway, unless they wanted to stay long term). In contrast, I've got rental property in the States, I could care less who rents there as long as they pass the background check and pay their rent.

I've also got docks in Belize I don't use because I no longer live there. Be happy to lease them out.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:10   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We are members of both MTOA (Marine Trawlers Owners Association) and AGLCA (Americas Great Loop Cruisers Association) and both groups have Port Captains or Harbor Hosts. Often these hosts have docks available behind their homes that they will offer as you pass through, and at no charge. They often will provide transportation and other help as needed. Not all have docks, but those that don't will still come to your marina or even anchorage location to lend a helping hand. perhaps other organizations could offer this as a benefit of membership. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:56   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

To a degree I think times have changed but on the other hand, letting someone camp in your field vs setting up a tent in the yard right next to your house are two different things.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
To a degree I think times have changed but on the other hand, letting someone camp in your field vs setting up a tent in the yard right next to your house are two different things.
Absolutely. I'd be far more inclined to let hippie kids throw their tent up in my field. Well, if I had a field.

And I guess I'm missing the need for this. There are anchorages and marinas. I'd be very suspicious then of someone who wanted to use my dock rather than either of those. I can only assume it's that he wants to dock but doesn't want to pay marina prices. But this isn't starving college kid, this is a boater. So, I'm going to turn my home into a discount marina? I don't see most who live on the water needing money bad enough to do that. To friends or acquaintances, they're welcome. But strangers, no thanks.

Tags
cruise, cruiser