Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2011, 10:54   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cruising SW Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You're right, it's not that far. In fact it's 300 nautical miles from FM to Appalachiacola if you go straight across the Gulf. Say 400 in the ICW. Round trip 600 to 800 miles. Still quite a distance for a six day charter.

It is a lovely, atmospheric place, though! I agree with you there!

is sooo coool there-- my first experience in appalach was surfing the 6 footers into the short water oyster bed bay as the lightning storms pushed us inwardbound.... i wassleeping finally and didnt even notice..LOL... when i woke up, it wassoooogorgeous i was awestruck. must see, but dont stay-- there is a nice large gator waiting for anyone to overstay their welcome. the trip between appalach and psj is one to not be overlooked nor hastened thru-- take yer time and have a ball. is gorgeous. between the two is white city--has a free dock and is lovely. storm protected and peaceful--- but the 2 inch skeeters may just render ye hypovolemic overnite.
just bring spray and use screening material--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 21:23   #17

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising SW Florida

Here's an example of the jungle-like terrain I encountered on one hazardous kayak trip to the area. 'Lucky to get out alive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape San Blas.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	25188  
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 06:41   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1146 View Post
Your best bet is to head north on the ICW,Cabbage Key is our favorite spot,old Florida...next is Cayo Costa and Pelican Bay,safe and quiet anchorage just south of Boca Grande.If you like crowded place go to South Seas Plantation just to the south.This is a beautifull area.
JC.
This is excellant advice. An additional stop that can be enjoyable is Roosevelt Channel at 'Tween Waters, somewhat south of South Sea's Plantation. With the shallow draft of the yacht you'll be on there are some nice stops all along the keys from Sanibel up to Boca Grande. If you call ahead, you may also be able to visit Useppa Island which is otherwise private but a nice stop as well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 08:48   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

USEPPA ISLAND IS AWESOME--WE ANCHORED THERE A WEEK LAST YEAR-- GORGEOUS SUNSETS AND HUNGRY FISHIES...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 10:06   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dancer View Post
We'll be chartering from SWFlorida Yachts out of Ft Meyers from 22 March to 28 March. Any suggestions about interesting places, coves, marinas etc. to visit? We're not sailing, it's a Grand Banks. A compromise. My husband wants me to get used to motorcruising for future ICW living. >sigh<

I have had the pleaure of kayaking and kayak sailing from Tampa to Key Largo five times during a race and during an around Florida Race kayak sailed from the Suwannee to Cedar Key to Tampa.

From FM to the north to Cedar Key is highly developed. If you head south from FM about 30 miles is Marco Island. I have heard the Cape Romano shoals to west of there deserve some respect. Once south of Marco is the real Florida. Yes there are wild animals. But in 20+ years of paddling Everglades National Park, during the day and through the night while racing, I have never had an animal issue on the water that would be a problem with a larger vessel. I have paddled by 18 foot gators, seen sharks scoot under me to get birds that were drifting on the water and when paddling at night awoken sleeping manatees and dolphin- but none ever messed with the boat! The difference is that these are wild animals and, unless visitors feed them, they let humans alone.

On the other hand camping there, the racoons eat well by stealing from newbie's campsites.

There are two spots to consider:

Larger boats often drop hooks at the following areas:
1. Indian Key Pass by Everglades City (N25 49.879 W81 26.544), this spot will have more boat traffic, and give you a flavor of the 10,000 islands. The advantage is that it is not that far south and has good navigation aids.

2. Little Shark River (N25 19.672 W81 08.799), welcome to the wilderness! From my close-to-the-water experience, Little Shark River is well named, it will give you a very real feeling of being in the wilderness,if that is your goal.
There are some other spots, but significant local knowledge is needed. Please note that once you get past White Horse Key (N25 51.660 W81 34.054) cell coverage is spotty, so an EPIRB or PLB would be prudent.

Cedar Key area is nice as is the delta area of the Suwannee, but I did not see too much of that during the day and would be fodder for posts by others.

Bill
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 15:48   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 321, 32 Ft. Divine Porpoise

Considering sailing with SWF Yachts the same late March week in 2013. Mate is concerned weather / water could be too cool. What was 2012 like?

Where did you wind up going...loved the posts/replies you received.

thanks,

John
JCDuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 16:10   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Someone mentioned a cruising guide of this area, does anyone know the name of it and where to get one?
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2012, 17:17   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Someone mentioned a cruising guide of this area, does anyone know the name of it and where to get one?
Been a while since I cruised SW FL (Great Cruising Ground!), but Claiborne Young makes a good one. Looks like it is still available on Amazon.

Also, I am not sure if it is still available, but there used to be "A Guide to Anchorages in Southwest Florida" by BAIL (a volunteer organization). Well done with good diagrams.

I used to use both of these when I lived in SW FL.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2012, 07:28   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Florida Sea Grant - Boating & Waterways - Anchorage Inventory

Click on the map.

Though there are many, many places that you can find on your chart.
Old 29-12-2012, 07:46   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Thanks for the info, I have sailed the keys, Bahama's and Dry Tortugas quite a lot, but have not ventured north of Sanabel simply because I don't know that much about the area, and haven't seen much listed about sailing this area. I just bought the book by Young, and the web site about is also great. Thanks.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, florida