Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2024, 17:34   #16

Re: Definition of a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Stop by sometime, I made a batch of slice and potted hough yesterday
Don't tempt me lol, I order the spice mix for Square slice from Glasgow the bag itself costs £20 but the shipping costs over $100. I can make my own tottie Scones but the bacon here in North America is tbh a disgrace lol. There used to be a Scottish guy that ran a chippy here in town and he could get black pudding steak pies etc from a butchers in Calgary but he sold the business.

But most of all I miss the people and the Highlands nowhere even the Rockies of North America are as beautiful as Scotland. The Rockies are beautiful I may be biased but I stick to my statement lol.
Scottish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 17:48   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish View Post
Don't tempt me lol, I order the spice mix for Square slice from Glasgow the bag itself costs £20 but the shipping costs over $100. I can make my own tottie Scones but the bacon here in North America is tbh a disgrace lol. There used to be a Scottish guy that ran a chippy here in town and he could get black pudding steak pies etc from a butchers in Calgary but he sold the business.

But most of all I miss the people and the Highlands nowhere even the Rockies of North America are as beautiful as Scotland. The Rockies are beautiful I may be biased but I stick to my statement lol.
The slice spice mix is easy ... 1/3 white pepper, 1/3 nutmeg and 1/3 cumin.
I keep a big jar of it and always have a 50/50 mix of ground beef and ground pork in the freezer

My shortbread and tattie scones are not bad either
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8107.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	392.6 KB
ID:	293730  
Old 01-09-2024, 17:52   #18

Boat: Hunter 386

Contact the Calgary Yacht Club. Besides their own sailing on Chestermere they do an annual flotilla out to the west coast, charter a half dozen boats or so and share out the costs. We floated along with them one year and they are a lot of fun.
Old 01-09-2024, 17:53   #19

I have tried many recipes it's just not the same as back home I like steak Lorne so I use beef mince try to use 30% fat and I have to ask the butcher to make it so but I will give your spice mix a try to how much meat is your spice mix for? I generally use 125g to 1kg of meat this usually makes a loaf size amount of slice.
Scottish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 18:07   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish View Post
I have tried many recipes it's just not the same as back home I like steak Lorne so I use beef mince try to use 30% fat and I have to ask the butcher to make it so but I will give your spice mix a try to how much meat is your spice mix for? I generally use 125g to 1kg of meat this usually makes a loaf size amount of slice.
1lb. pork, 1lb. beef, 1 cup of bread crumbs (I prefer panko) and two table spoons of the spice mix (I like a little more bite than some).
Old 06-09-2024, 07:00   #21

Boat: O'Day 30 and O'Day 34

If you travel east in 2025, we'll take you out.
Season is almost over here in Nova Scotia.
My people are Stricklands, so more from Wales but I'm sure many in Scotland.

We can sail and chat.
O'Day 30
O'Day 34

Look up St. Margaret's Bay, Chester, Mahone Bay ... in Nova Scotia
Rob19321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 07:22   #22

Boat: Beneteau First 405 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Many sailing-interested Albertans come to BC to do their sailing either via a sailing club or by keeping their own boats in a BC Marina.

Here is a link to the Alberta Sailing Association listing a number of sailing clubs in Alberta.

https://albertasailing.com/club-directory/

I recommend most highly that you get in touch with a club near you and take advantage of courses they offer and of boats you can rent from them.

In the nature of the thing and of Alberta's geography I would expect that most of what these clubs do, and most of the boats they offer, will be racing oriented. Racing "around the cans" is an excellent way to begin to understand how to trim a boat and handle the forces acting on it, so not a bad place to starts

For cruising you could ask for no better waters that the Salish Sea, what we heretofore took pride in calling the Strait of Georgia, and the Broughton Islands.

So welcome to CF :-)

The sooner you join a sailing club the sooner you'll be able to "run away to sea" :-)!

TrentePieds

Agree 100%. I started with Wednesday night 'round the cans racing. Brought a 6 pack of good beer every night (for post-race consumption, of course) that always guaranteed a place on a boat. Sailed a variety of boats that way before picking first boat.
Toujours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 10:31   #23

Boat: 1976 S2 7.0 23ft

Scottish welcome! You are correct that they are affordable and search around. Just recently on eBay there have been some steals in your region from charity actions! Wish I were in the north thr part couple of weeks because I would have had a much larger vessel than the little girl I just purchased! Check here out! I started a thread "okie newbie" Good luck on your search!
PotentialCruise is offline   Reply With Quote