Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2006, 04:42   #16

Joyce: I see you have a Beneteau 46 - I crewed on one a couple of times last month - that's a lot of boat! It seems to me that for a single hander, I would want to end up in the 33-35 range - what do you think?
rossir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 04:47   #17

Island Mike - The Mariner has great lines - beautiful boat! How did you go about finding a shell, and how did you learn about doing retrofits? One of the books I have been reading is Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat by Daniel Spurr. It gives a good sense of the structure and systems of boats - at least it has helped me to see better what I am looking at. I would like to feel able to tackle at least some retrofit project, though I am not cofident of being able to work with fiberglass. What was your experience?
Old 26-09-2006, 05:22   #18
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I am curious as to whether you have added up all the costs, and your time and labor, and concluded that it was a good way to go. Would you do it again, or just spend more money up front for a more seaworthy boat?
Old 26-09-2006, 07:45   #19

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
To both Canibul and Rossir,

With the exception of the actual aligning of the shaft and securing of the new diesel, I am doing everything. Often I will walk the yard or docks and see how other boats are done, and I read whatever I can. And of course I make use of many of the sailing threads on line, this being one of the best. Far East also has a web site where I can get help, usual it is just a matter of just doing it, you will be surprised what you can do. Without a doubt I was not real wise in this undertaking, I could have purchased another boat that was far more complete or equiped for far less than I will end up spending. But with that said I will know every inch and system of my boat, and I would hope this could come in handy some day. I enjoy the work, it gives me a great sense of satisfaction when I see a project completed.
I had never worked with fiberglass before, while it can be messy, it is not real difficult. You must be patient and do all of the proper preparation. You can do some great things with epoxy and fiberglass, there are many books on it.

Canibul, I would not do it again, however, I have learned so much that I think I could go out and find a real bargin that is safe and sound without spending a huge amount of money. Actually, I probably have learned just enough to really be dangerous.

I guess I have rambled enough, sufice it to say, I am very proud of her and will post more pics soon to show her off. I am getting very close to sea trails for the new engine.

Have a great day.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2006, 07:57   #20
One of Those

Mike, I think I understand. I have built things from the ground up with parts including a top notch mountain bike, several motorcycles, car engines, and a 4x4 vehicle. I came close to embarking on building an airplane. I have not done it with a large boat, but I know in every case where I built something I could have bought a complete version cheaper. But noway better.
And things I learned along the way have been extremely helpful across the board.
Old 26-09-2006, 08:20   #21

Well Canibul, when I am foundering off Turks and Caico, I'm calling YOU - just please don't come out in the ultralight!
Old 26-09-2006, 08:56   #22
One of Those

we sold that one last summer to move down here. However, I am taking a serious look at these:
Attached Images

Old 26-09-2006, 09:56   #23

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
John Buttons Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossir
Wow! What a bunch of great responses! All just inspire me further!

For S/V Elusive: I will add to my profile...

dockgoody: Very interested in your taking a 30footer to the Bahamas - which make did you select and what do you see as needs for deeper Caribbean cruising?

Wheels: of course, I am trying to slowly slip the kids a mickey...

swagman: amazing! what kind of boat did he have?

Hey Canibul: I believe you because that's a joke only us older folks would know!

Island Mike: Why did you go to shell? I've heard stories that could go either way as far as funds go, though I certainly understand the benefits of knowing her through and through. How did you go about finding her? And what is your plan for getting up to speed on sailing in general?

Rick
Sorry Rick do not know the builder / model of Johns yacht. It's named Buttoniere, around 50+ foot GRP masthead aft cockpit sloop - home port of Marion, Mass - maybe 20 years old. Extremely well sailed vessel.
Not sure where he went onto after the East Med Rally but heard he may have still been in Israel or Lebanon when the region exploded in July. I'm hoping they are now well out of it ... keeping my fingers crossed.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 27-09-2006, 04:50   #24

Thanks, Swagman. By th way, I see from your blog that your Hanse is a fin kele/spade rudder. How common, in your travels, is that design among cruisers, and what are your thoughts about that for occasional blue water cruising?