Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2010, 08:07   #16

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
You mentioned FL, I spent lots of time there both in a marina in Daytona Beach doing a refit, and then at anchor in Lake Worth while ironing out bugs and adjusting to life afloat.

Slips were $8-12 a foot per month in Daytona, high end got a clubhouse with parking, kitchen, cable tv, and tile shower. I didn't get hassled by authorities in Lake Worth although they were always around.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 08:52   #17

Boat: Nordship 40ds
YOu should also think ofthe tax consequnces with whatever income you will have. If you base out of Santa Barbara you will be subject to a couple of taxes 1) State Income tax and 2) a use tax on your boat. I also agree with I2F on not selling everything and jumping in. It is great for some people but I would take a summer or two and go on a two month long sailing trip to make sure that you guys don't get too sea sick or that it really wasn't the life you wanted. Either way whether you dive in or step in good luck.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 09:08   #18

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome Revecca and crew,
Good luck in putting the plans into action. IMHO it is well worth giving it a go - if it does not work out then you can always go back to the land life, but if you do not give it a go - life could kinda overtake you all and suddenly it has never happened.
And lifes too short to risk that ......
JOHN
Old 14-08-2010, 09:12   #19

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Wise words from John. i2F.
If its just the two of you adults, you can start over from a mistake but not so great for the kids. Try a skippered charter, that way you get a taste and get some real time hands on training at the same time.

If your glad the nightmare ended, then best you know now, but if your in love and cant wait to get back aboard, then what better diagnostic than your sailing vacation?
Im all for living the dream, dont make it a nightmare.
Old 14-08-2010, 09:25   #20

Boat: not yet
a possible consideration, and certain valuable information

Rebecca and family,
Saw your post, it was the “ditching tenure” part that caught my eye as I am also working at a University, although just in a lowly staff position, and planning on living aboard one day.
Your message has prompted my first post to this forum, after being an occasional observer for some time. I simply want to direct you guys to another post/site I recently discovered. It is from experienced live-aboard/cruisers who also happen to be selling their boat, a Lagoon 38 catamaran. I should also probably add the fact that I have no financial interests, or otherwise, with these folks. I simply read the page, “An Owners Perspective” on their web page, and found it to be very informative. Not to mention, the boat sounds like a fantastic opportunity.
I’ve been doing a little research and a lot of reading relative to my plans. I have come to the conclusion that when I retire and am ready to purchase, I’ll certainly be able to afford a monohull, however; a catamaran is looking really good, if I can afford it. I realize everyone has their own perspective, needs, desires, compromises, etc. but just in case you have not considered the multihull possibility, you may wish to check out this boat/web site.
Indigo Moon - For Sale
Good luck with your endeavors.
JR1of9
Old 14-08-2010, 10:30   #21

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Capt. Ramius of the " Red October" told his XO that Columbus burned his ships on arriving in the New World, to motivate them to succeed.
Point is, if you know you have a built-in escape route, you may not be as determined to succeed at your new life.
Your call, FWIW, wish I had your guts, and had gone earlier. Good luck.
Old 14-08-2010, 21:31   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I am not saying don't go. I am saying get some knowledge & experience. You have so far great careers, and 2 young ones. In 2 years, or less you can know for sure if it is for you & the kids.

Believe me I am of the go now mindset. You never know when your health will stop you, and youth gives you stamina & strength. Right now I am sitting on the hook in Panama, because my health turned over night, and will be sitting here for another 4 months.

Learn to sail, do some ocean sailing, and even in snotty weather, and then make a decision......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 04:47   #23

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
You're young enough and have skills and knowledge that remain in demand. If you try this and don't like it, it's not the end of the world. You are not married to the lifestyle. You can sell the boat, recover of your investment and become dirt dwellers again. Be prepared to have the boat on the market for a while, but you can start anew.

GO FOR IT!

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 13:42   #24

I agree that the "sell everything and hop aboard" philosophy has some faults but we're not totally immune to the risks involved with this. We've been sailing with the kids on week-long charters and they did amazingly well. They are very excited about extending the adventure and are young enough to adapt. I did my own battle with seasickness during these trips and I've read enough accounts of cruising families to know that there is no guarantee that this will work for our family.

On the other hand, we can set ourselves up with an escape hatch if cruising doesn't work for us. Yes, we'll have to "ditch tenure" to do so but we are headed out of our current jobs no matter what the sea holds for us.

I should mention, though, that I plan to continue my online teaching for as long as is feasible!

So, I certainly appreciate the warnings to take it slowly, to get more sailing experience before making a commitment, etc. But, I also appreciate the concept of trusting our instincts. And our instincts are to move forward with this plan quickly and steadily... before we chicken out!
Reba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 14:05   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Capt. Ramius of the " Red October" told his XO that Columbus burned his ships on arriving in the New World, to motivate them to succeed. .
I think Capt Ramius should have said Cortez. Columbus needed to get back with the news and the expected trade goods, where I think Cortez needed his chaps to go forth and kill, murder, sack and ransom a small continent of all its worldly goodies and all that glittered surely was gold and all that crap.
But, of course, your point is well made: a cornered cat is forced to scratch

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote