Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2009, 13:47   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Because you decided you want / need to. The good news is that you have 10 years to decide - and after that you can still chnage your mind

My 2 cents is that money features largest in the equation, but give each sailor a million dollars and they will still buy different sized boats for financial reasons (as well personal / practical / taste reasons).....as everyone has different attitudes to both money and their own lifestyle, both onboard and ashore. Remember also that some folk (maybe also you. or maybe not) will be happy to lead a life 90% based around the boat and financially plan for that, whilst others may not be so happy to give up a months annual skiing, nights out partying and long road trips ashore.........
Just testing this "quote" format...nothing new!
Notyetonboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 13:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Not necessarily. With a center cockpit it's quite manageable, and with a bow thruster, it's a piece of cake.

Likewise sailing -- especially with powered winches. And a 46 footer feels less scary in heavy weather.

Concerning maintenance, however, you are right.
Thanks! I have noticed that most of the boats that I have pointed out...those that I am researching...all have electric systems to run the winches. I assume I would not have to use just system but could still use them manually? I would think that older boats would be a bit more difficult to handle at 50 ft than those coming to the market. I know that costs will be a reality with any kind of boat, but I will surely count those as a part of my budget. There are so many examples out there on what I would have to spend on. I am not sure I would give up the space on a 46-50 ft boat so I took less pounding on the water while cruising in a smaller boat. I want a van, not a hybrid. In time, I hope I can find the right now!
Notyetonboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 13:29   #18

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Boat type and size will depend on your intended use and location of use and $$$.

I single hand frequently between "guest crews/ crew". My Primary location in the Eastern Caribbean dictate I need something I can easily handle in typical seas of 3 to 5 feet and winds often above 20 knots. I find a 36 footer to be about ideal for most uses including single handling a mooring in those conditions and anchoring or coming into a slip. Anything bigger would be proportionally more difficult with out the additional cost of equipment like Thrusters. Anything much smaller would be uncomfortable underway or at anchor for extended periods.

I you are not going to cruise... but stay within a limited area or most of the time in a marina or anchorage, for comfort your boat size would probably be more important than the other consideration.

You really should consider taking a few charters to areas you are considering as major possibilities as a home base or area of interest. Use it as you intent to use your own boat. Only then would you get a real feel for what size and type boat you need to be considering
Old 24-06-2009, 16:09   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha,
If you are referring to me, no, I'm in Hawaii. I used to live in San Diego up until the 80s. Much has changed since then.
Happy hunting!
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 16:54   #20

Bigger is always better in a seaway and faster.(waterline length)
beau is offline   Reply With Quote