Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2006, 11:33   #1

Boat: Islander 28 Irish Eyes
First post

Hello all. Have been reading this forum for a few weeks, ever since finding it from the cs-bb forum. Wife and I sail our Islander 28 out of Mt. Sinai Harbor on LIS. We retired in 2002 and have been enjoying ourselves with a one year cruise to the Bahamas and back,and a trip around the country in a Winnebago.
We are in the process of selling our home and moving to New Bern NC. Hopefully we will sail alot there and get to the Bahamas on a regular basis.
Have been sailing since in high school, used to give instructions at a boy scout facility out of Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn. Too bad you can't hear my accent through this e-mail but rest assured no one in NC will confuse me for a native.
We will be driving down to NC next week for about a month. Then we will be bouncing back and forth until the house is sold. Computer access will be spotty until we settle in but I hope to meet some new friends here. Fair winds....Bob
Irish Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 12:44   #2

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Welcome Bob ! Look forward to your input. Did you do the Bahamas in your Islander ? Any favorite spots down there ? Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 14:41   #3

Boat: Ensenada 20
Welcome!

Sounds like you've already achieved some excellent adventures and that you're moving on to another chapter. Good luck on your house sale and move.

I learned to sail on Long Island Sound (out of Noank and Niantic on the "north shore") and have many fond memories, as well as a few scary ones -- especially a few "fog out of nowhere" situations in the neighborhood of ferries, tugs, etc.!!! Hope to visit and charter up there again some day.

I look forward to hearing how you like sailing out of New Bern.

I am a "Bob" too. There are lots of us out there!!
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 14:56   #4
cruiser

Welcome, Bob!

(laughing my *ss off at your comment about the LI accent - my wife's from Wantagh)

You might be the first person from LI I have met that doesn't think everyone *else* has a funny accent.

We are currently in Port Washington, and will be in Sag Harbor and East Hampton this summer.

Maybe we'll see you out before you move to NC?

Welcome again to the forum.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2006, 15:32   #5

LIS

Do you mean Long Island Sound?

Welcome aboard Bob.

You'll enjoy this forum alot. It's the best one that stands out above the rest.

Just wanted to greet ya here. And welcome aboard, Bob.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 14:07   #6

Thanks Cap't Lar. We went to the Bahamas in 2002. We went from Palm Beach to west end. Called home from there to fiend our daughter needed an operation. Returned to Fla. on the next weather window.
The Admiral flew home and I stayed in Florida with the boat. After 6 weeks or so we returned to the Bahamas but could go too the Exumas-our original plan- and just stayed in the Abacos. Really enjoyed it there. You can stay at an island with restaurants and bars or stay at an Island with trees and not much else. We liked the mix.
Old 27-02-2006, 03:53   #7

Stands out above the rest

CaptainK Is as you will find out "modest"Truth is Bob,There is no comparison to this site!!!Mrs Bob,chip in mate,dont let him hogg the computer,This is deffinately a family show!!And for all you little kiddies surfing the net,"Be warned!!!"this site is addictive.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 09:40   #8

Thank you Mudnut.

Yes, this site can be addictive. And the sailing lifestyle can be very addictive as well.

This site may have it's drawbacks. Just like any website on the web. But this yachting site is by far the best one out there.

Cause,"This is where the TRUTH is!"

Hey Bob. Did you and the Admiral get to do any scuba diving, while you and the Admiral visited there? I hear they got some great diving areas there?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 10:49   #9

Did no scuba diving in the Bahamas. Not much room on a 28' boat for all the equipment . Did alot of snorkeling. Did not see much hard coral but as I remember the soft chorals were awesome.