Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 20:32   #1

First Post as a new CSY 37 owner/sailor

Hello and greetings from Marathon, Fl. We are Mike & Stacey and here's our story.

We are currently 48. When our last of five children entered college last spring, we sold the main house, put the kids in a rental house and ran away from home to the Florida Keys where we live on what was supposed to be our Great Loop Cruiser (one that took me 4-5 years to restore/renew). It's a 1979 Marinette Express Cruiser that like the CSY's has an almost cult-like following. I'm going to hate to sell it, but I don't want to deal with 2 boats here.

Our goal was to learn how to sail and buy a sailboat and cruise. Well "someday" came last week and we could not pass up a 79 CSY 37 plan B shoal draft for sale locally by the original (very experienced) owners. We took possession today.

So now all we have to do is renew her, learn how to sail, cruise, celestial navigate, HAM, etc. A year from now we plan our first cruise the Bahamas.
I've been lurking here on this site over a year (I think).

I'm looking for a CSY owner's forum. If anyone has directions, it would be appreciated. Also, any other 37 owners who have renewed their boats, please say hi.... if you don't mind me bugging you with questions!

Fair Winds,
Mike
Michael Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:57   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mike and Stacey,
Good choice for a cruiser! Welcome aboard. I hope the forum can help you with questiions. You might be interested in "Start Sailing Right!" for a basic primer on sailing. Its a great book more designed for small boats but really explains how sails work efficiently which applies to your boat too. For Celestial try "Celestial Navigation by H. O. 249" by Milligan although you really don't absolutely need Celestial to operate in the GPS world. HAM too is nice to have but not absolutely necessary for long distance comm.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 13:08   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Mike,

Welcome. There is a CSY forum and here is the link:

Topica Email List Directory

We used to have a CSY 33 and we also have two other members here as well with CSY W's. I know three more here on the Chesapeake as well as a CSY 44 walkover.

Alto of the same issues exist with Cs's being all built with 3 years of each other. The above list has the only serious group of users and you will find the group to be very helpful. We don't have any CSY 37 owners here but I think there may be a 44 or two. The number 33 owners is actually a pretty high number given how few were actually made. Of interest is that most all the Cs's ever built are sill floating. You can't kill them.

Here is another CSY site:

About CSY Yachts...

It's mostly CSY W's as there were more of those but you'll find many similarities to them. I think you will like your CSY. You never win the ugly boat contest any place you go and the things will take a beating far better than you ever will. They are not known for being fast but they sit at anchor about as comfortable as any boat ever made.

You will find a lot of help here as well. Boats in many ways are all the same and we all share a lot of the same situations so please join in all the other sections as I know you will find things there for you.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
csy, csy 37