Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 01:14   #1

first timer

Hello fellow sailors, yachtsman etc, this is the first time I have posted on this site and hope I can offer some advice and perhaps receive some.

Mywife and I took delivery of a 75 ft schooner 6 months ago, which was built in Bira, Sulawesi, Indonesia of finest indonesian ironwoods and teak. She is traditional gaff rig schooner with top sails and 3 jibs flown fron the 8ft long bowsprit.

We spent our first four months cruising around the Celebes and Moluccas Islands of Indonesia which was only memorable for the corruption of the port and immigration officials. You need very deep pockets and patience in dealing with them. We crossed the Celebes Sea to the Sulu Sea, Phillippines in march which was very memorable for the marine biodiversity, whales by the hundreds, dolpins, etc. The Samgir Islands are spectucular. A chain of perfectly formed volcanoes, mostly all active rising to 1800m and visible upto 46 miles away.

We have been in the Philippines since the, crusing the islands of Visayas. very friendly, and hosiptiable. I employ some filippino crew at 3 usd a day, and they are excellent seaman.

In September we are planning to go to Irian jaya, PNG, Solomons and Australia retracing the footsteps of Gen Macarther in his campaign against the japanese. Anyone with knowledge of sailing in Papua NG and Solomons would be gratefully received.

David - Schoonerman
schoonerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:50   #2
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
75 ft schooner 6 months ago, which was built in Bira, Sulawesi, Indonesia of finest indonesian ironwoods and teak. She is traditional gaff rig schooner with top sails and 3 jibs flown fron the 8ft long bowsprit.
Wow! - that deserves some pics!

Welcome aboard
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:11   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
G'day Schoonerman,
Welcome aboard and many thanks for reminding me about six weeks I spent sailing in the Moluccas in 1995 - mind you, my boat was a bit smaller at 28 ft..
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 14:11   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
PICS....PICS....PICS, and don't forget to buy some durian candy by Durianworld, or JBC candies......YUMMMMMY
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 01:11   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Schoonerman - If you can get by this way before heading down there are at least three people I know here who are "experts" on PNG. You need to know what you are doing there judging from the war stories I have heard.

One guy has lived in PNG for 30 years or so...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 20:33   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Schoonerman,
Welcome aboard!! Sounds like you are really getting a lot of information to share with us as you go.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote