Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2017, 10:48   #16

Re: Folding Bicycle

There are several threads o this. You will find mostly two camps:

-You must have a full size bike
or
-smaller bikes are great!

Myself I prefer the middle ground. a 18-20" bike, and even prefer the simplicity of pedal brakes rather than hand brakes.. Think "BMX" size. There's a reason they use this size for agility and durability.
Hand brakes and cables catch on everything when storing, retrieving or hauling in the dingy. The bikes are cheap, you don't care if it rusts eventually, big enough to take rough roads, small and simple enough to store. I really liked having ours. Opened up a lot of territory and great for running errands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81xM9SLtCaL__SL1500_.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	144395  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 11:21   #17

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

We're in the Caribbean,where many bikes are for resale. Down here, we would bike on Culebra, Marie Galante, Nevis, and Carriacou. The rest are too steep, too busy, traffic too fast and inconsiderate; more dangerous than the North Atlantic. Of those four islands, only Carriacou does not have good bikes for rent. Caribbean: where cruisers bring their bikes to rust onboard. To be fair, we've often wished for a bike in Chaguaramas after the third hike to the chandlery in one day.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 11:24   #18

Boat: J/42

I went the "not cheap" route and had Bike Friday make a New World Tourist for me, which is not their smallest or newest model. They took the measurements from my road bike and built a frame to match that geometry. I also measured the opening dimensions of my sail locker and specified that the folded bike had to fit through that. Finally, I sprang for the Samsonite suitcase/trailer option. The partially disassembled bike fits into this airline-standard hard suitcase, and the suitcase then converts to a bike trailer.

The other use for this set-up is air travel. The total weight of the packed bike is 52 lbs, so to fly, I have to take one part out and put it in my carry-on. After traveling for years with a full-sized hard case this is a dream. No punitive fees. No crushed frames. No hassles arranging ground transportation or finding a place to store a big case.

Although the seat post seems precariously long, I'm pretty happy with the bike. It hasn't actually been challenged with salt water spray (e.g. in a dinghy ride) yet, so I don't know how that will go.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 11:39   #19

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Re: Folding E-Scooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Electric stand up scooters are lighter, smaller and faster than bikes. No Sweat.

24 miles at 18 mph on a charge.

24 lbs.

Oh, and did I say Awesome Fun
Now those are cool! What's the brand and model? Where did you get them?
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 12:08   #20

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Folding E-Scooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
Now those are cool! What's the brand and model? Where did you get them?
We have two E-Twow S2 Booster models. They are 36 volt and fast charge in 1.5 hours.

If you shop around you can get them new for $650 each.

A few different companies are making these now as they are very popular.

A lot of the islands that we go to are very hilly. My wife just dreaded using our bikes, so they never were used much.

She loves scooting around with these e-scooters now and we are not all dripping wet from sweating.

We do all our long distance choirs with these e-scooters now.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 12:21   #21

Boat: J/42

Pretty nifty... but can you haul a full jerrycan or propane tank with those?
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 12:27   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
L keep researching bicycles for the boat but every time I do, I come to the conclusion that walking is good exercise and that I can pay for a lot of cab rides for what buying and maintaining two bicycles would cost.

I have a small boat and storage would be a major problem for me.
And you can pay for even more Uber rides.

I think this is reasonable -- I wouldn't bother with a bicycle myself if it weren't for the actual enjoyment of riding.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 12:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonosailor View Post
We're in the Caribbean,where many bikes are for resale. Down here, we would bike on Culebra, Marie Galante, Nevis, and Carriacou. The rest are too steep, too busy, traffic too fast and inconsiderate; more dangerous than the North Atlantic. Of those four islands, only Carriacou does not have good bikes for rent. Caribbean: where cruisers bring their bikes to rust onboard. To be fair, we've often wished for a bike in Chaguaramas after the third hike to the chandlery in one day.
Yep, my little bikes saved me a ton of walking to the chandlery in Chag in muggy hot weather! We also rode them for 20 miles to some parks in Trini. Not sure it's still safe for that or not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 13:53   #24

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Pretty nifty... but can you haul a full jerrycan or propane tank with those?
Will have to take a picture next time we do that, but yes we have taken a Propane tank on a 12 mile round trip back to the boat.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:38   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Will have to take a picture next time we do that, but yes we have taken a Propane tank on a 12 mile round trip back to the boat.
Can you please share the video of you doing this?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:03   #26

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I went the "not cheap" route and had Bike Friday make a New World Tourist for me, which is not their smallest or newest model. They took the measurements from my road bike and built a frame to match that geometry. I also measured the opening dimensions of my sail locker and specified that the folded bike had to fit through that. Finally, I sprang for the Samsonite suitcase/trailer option. The partially disassembled bike fits into this airline-standard hard suitcase, and the suitcase then converts to a bike trailer.

The other use for this set-up is air travel. The total weight of the packed bike is 52 lbs, so to fly, I have to take one part out and put it in my carry-on. After traveling for years with a full-sized hard case this is a dream. No punitive fees. No crushed frames. No hassles arranging ground transportation or finding a place to store a big case.

Although the seat post seems precariously long, I'm pretty happy with the bike. It hasn't actually been challenged with salt water spray (e.g. in a dinghy ride) yet, so I don't know how that will go.
OK, sounds well thought out, but have you used it yet?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:30   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I gave up on bikes, I have a couple of Dahon Mariners from my flying days, one even motorized with a Honda four stroke weed wacker motor.
However they are huge even when folded, and rust. Especially the chain, so you cover it in oil that turns to grease and tattoos anything it touches, and it will touch everything.
I have now bought two URB-E's essentially a sit down scooter sort of. They can pull a trailer although I have not gotten one for that, they come with little baskets that have done what we need them to do.
https://youtu.be/Fx-qQ7hEdn8

Look for "last mile commuting" etc. there is a whole lot of vehicles coming out meant just for that last mile problem on how to commute to work, school etc
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:38   #28

Boat: Camano Troll

I met a couple once who had two very strange looking folding bicycles. They had no chain, they used a cogged rubber drive belt. They looked nice but they sell for about $600 each.
Old 02-04-2017, 13:31   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Folding Bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I met a couple once who had two very strange looking folding bicycles. They had no chain, they used a cogged rubber drive belt. They looked nice but they sell for about $600 each.

This?
http://www.strida.com

I looked hard at them, the drive belt especially, but as with all bikes, they are big even folded they take up a lot of space
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 14:11   #30

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This?
STRiDA - Folding Bike :: MING CYCLE INC Industrial Co., Ltd.*

I looked hard at them, the drive belt especially, but as with all bikes, they are big even folded they take up a lot of space
That's the one. It folds pretty cleverly and I don't think it takes up as much space as a traditional folding bicycle.