Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2010, 17:23   #1

From Europe ... Thinking on the Caribbean !

Hi all from the sunny Spain !!

A couple of years ago I felt in love with some pics from eleuthera (Bahamas) and since then I am thinking on sailing it´s waters...and maybe this year I will !! Perhaps next fall I´ll expend a few months there.

I will post later on the right place, but actually I am having a look where to buy a GBC/boat (Good, Beautiful an Cheap) not far from Bahamas...(Florida/Miami). But out of the usual web sites (yachtworld,boattraderonline,boats.com) i do not know where to look for. Where shall I have a look out of the beaten web/tracks ???

Thanks and regards !!!
(sorry for my basic english)
Benares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 19:12   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Hi,

I am in the Canary Islands.

US is a great spot to by a boat, BUT:

-you have to get there (if you are on this side of the Pond),
-you have to think about what you want to do with the boat afterwards.

It is an easy trip from here to Bahamas, so if you find a good boat here (which is easy) consider such an option if you are EU based.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 03:04   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
try boat trader or sailboat trader online-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 05:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Boats in Europe are more expensive.. for the price of an old 27ft boat here, you can buy a 30ft boat at half the age in the States.. or a 35ft boat of the same age..
Even after tagging on the airfare and stuff its still a good deal if your going to be a live aboard.. and by that I mean, the boat is your only home.
All you need is the cash to buy and the time to bring it across.. or, if you lack the time, the cash to cover the choice of shipping the boat over...or taking the cheaper alternative and getting a Skipper to sail her across for you... if you take into account loss of earnings for the time, its often break even.. about $6,000-$7,000 all in.. or less than 1 months cruising budget according to some..lmao.
Personally I'd rather fly and buy, then winter in the Caribbean and cross S'West to N'East... than do the E to W crossing , the way most people do the Atlantic.. its much more fun.. lots more to see out there.. and not as tough as some make out..
Hope I interpreted your post correctly b...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 10:40   #5

Thanks All for your answers:

My intention is to expent most of next winter season sailing the caribbean and, to do that, my plans at the present are like this:
1- Buy a really cheap boat there... as there is no almost way to take it back to Europe as taxes, laws and regulations makes it almost impossible (long time to do the paperwork, lots of taxes -VAT+ Registration,etc..) in addition, at Spain, getting a berth place is also impossible (most where I live ... waiting list of more than 5.000 people.. so berths can cost twice the price of a new boat... ). Therefore my intention as told is to buy something really cheap to resell it afther the adventure is done. The only exception could be if I find a really bargain there.. worth enought to fight and sail it back to Europe.
2- Are the boats listed on the usual websites the best deals you can find or under your experience you consider that better offers are found locally with brokers or in some other way ??
3- after boat is won !!Extended Cruising from Panama to Florida or Florida to Panama... don´t know yet.Wich one do you think it could be the most e interesting routing considering BUYING and SELLING the boat. I mean.. If I buy at Panama, mostly I´ll have to sell at Florida and vice-versa.. so which option is the best (market, mooring prices while selling, etc..). Considering the sailing conditions wich routing is the natural one (I mean.. North to south or South to North ??).. Is there any advantage getting from Miami to Panama or is better the opposite.??

Plans as you can see are at a very early stage...!!
(by the way.. airfares is not a problem to me... as airline employee!)

Thanks all for your welcome !!
Benares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 12:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benares View Post
Plans as you can see are at a very early stage...!!
I guess so - yesterday it was the Bahamas, today it's Panama - pretty much polar opposites of the Bahamas/Caribbean. No offense - it's good to consider all your options.

American cruisers frequently sail from Florida to the western Caribbean and back. We don't stop in Cuba. The route is a multiday sail from Florida to Isla Mujeres in the Yucatan Channel and then coastal sailing/island hopping south from there. You could also work your way east from Florida and then run the Windward Passage to Jamaica or all the way to Panama. I would certainly expect the sailboat market to be much bigger in Florida.

OTOH, the Bahamas are only a day sail from Florida. Once in Bahamian waters, there are literally 100s of islands and some of the most spectacular sailing waters in the world. You could easily spend an entire winter exploring them and then return to Florida - or maybe never want to come back at all. This past winter was one of the coldest in living memory in the Bahamas. Usually winter temps are 70s to 80s with warm water.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 17:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
I guess so - yesterday it was the Bahamas, today it's Panama - pretty much polar opposites of the Bahamas/Caribbean. No offense - it's good to consider all your options.

American cruisers frequently sail from Florida to the western Caribbean and back. We don't stop in Cuba. The route is a multiday sail from Florida to Isla Mujeres in the Yucatan Channel and then coastal sailing/island hopping south from there. You could also work your way east from Florida and then run the Windward Passage to Jamaica or all the way to Panama. I would certainly expect the sailboat market to be much bigger in Florida.

OTOH, the Bahamas are only a day sail from Florida. Once in Bahamian waters, there are literally 100s of islands and some of the most spectacular sailing waters in the world. You could easily spend an entire winter exploring them and then return to Florida - or maybe never want to come back at all. This past winter was one of the coldest in living memory in the Bahamas. Usually winter temps are 70s to 80s with warm water.
Good feedback !!

But before going on... pls as a foreing and newbie user, would you mind to show me where should I keep on posting this "intended sailing" on this forum.. as I think "meetings and greetings" is not now the most suitable ..

Tks !
Old 23-03-2010, 05:16   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Benares.

I suggest using the the "Destinations" forum, either "Atlantic Ocean & The Caribbean" or "Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans".

Welcome to Cruisers Forum!
Old 23-03-2010, 15:27   #9

Moved to the sailors log & cruising plans thread

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post423451
Old 13-04-2010, 15:48   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Here's another website for boat searches. You might want to click on the websites after my signature line if you want some recommendations.
Sailboat Listings - sailboats for sale
kind regards,

Tags
Caribbean, Europe