Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2009, 11:57   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverking05 View Post
.. we plan on leaving on July 26th.. if the weather is right.
Exactly. You can be ready to go on the 26th, but you don't actually leave until the weather is right. If you go to No Name harbor, you will almost always find other boats waiting for weather to cross to the Bahamas. They may or may not be headed for Bimini. Some people don't like the idea of formal flotillas or buddy boats. But no one minds having another boat sort of tagging along. When there's good weather, everyone pretty much winds up leaving at the same time anyway.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:47   #17

well we're back from our trip.. people keep asking me if anything went wrong and to their suprise my answer is no.. our trip basically went perfectly to what we planned. At one time water in my fuel caused my motor to sputter and die but not while crossing or at any dire time.. plus it was easily fixed. My rudder has a blade that swings down and the steering felt really loose so I looked down there and fortunately tightened the one bolt that holds it together before the nut fell off. It rained on us while first crossing over to Bimini.. the weather that night was very overcast.. no moonlight and lots of heat lightning and when we were about 20 miles from bimini we saw some serious thunderstorms over bimini.. I was sailing closed hauled with only the main and I just would pinch the boat to de-power the rig / reduce heel. We just decided there was no sense in attempting to dodging the storm and it just seemed to dissipate/move away and next thing we know its basically dawn which lifted our spirits and with sunlight we sailed/motored into bimini and checked in. By the way.. the customs office is know blue.. that threw me off a little. we had a really fun time and the way back went even better.. we we're reaching the whole time.. clear night skies with lots of stars and a bright moon. went really well.. thanks for all the advice that each of you contributed to our trip.. we plan on doing it again next summer and maybe going a little further.
riverking05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 17:28   #18

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Good for you. We're glad you had a safe trip.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 10:57   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Bimini is only the door to the Bahamas. Things can actually go well on a boat with a good plan. BEST WISHES in next year getting beyond Bimini. The Bahamas are a unique place, and can be stunning........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 11:28   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Speaking of Angel Fish creek, a little.
Has anyone identified the location of that mysterious submerged rock? I went through again about a month ago just fine and didn't see thing.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:20   #21

Trip was successful!

Hi guys.. just wanted to let everyone know that our trip was tremendously successful!! We had a great time.. did everything legally and learned a ton of stuff.. my confidence has grown and I'm starting to plan our next trip.. I'm thinking of Key West or Naples as the starting place and the dry torgugas as the final stop.. with a stop at boca grande key and the marques keys. if you know of a good thread concerning a trip like this let me know!! thanks for all the advice!!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:23   #22

sorry.. I guess I'm pretty retarded.. I forgot that I already posted that our trip went well.. Thanks again everyone!!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:28   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I think at times we are all a little brain dead. I know I am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bimini Islands