Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 07:16   #1

Boat: Wiley Mockingbird 32
pirate Frugal christening

Ahoy!

I'm rehab'ing Finity, a 1965 Tartan 27. I've been been meaning to overhaul Serendipity, a Morgan 25, for years; however I would like to engage in some coastal cruising and I thought the Tartan's longer keel, more protected rudder and bridge deck would be a little more seaworthy. Serendipity is technically of negative worth. I'd like to integrate Serendipity's best features (eg. bronze winches, genoa, spinnaker, jam cleats, extra mast...) into Finity

I never had a problem with the spade rudder on the Morgan, but I did have constant issues with her centerboard. The Tartan's centerboard appear to have been removed. I do not plan to restore it. I found 5 lead ingots in the bilge, but I plan to store glass art supplies (i.e. broken bottles, stained glass shards) down there instead, cruise around making mobiles based upon what I see out there.

Anyhow, I'm fixed up Finity as she floats beside the Fountain of Youth (an artesian well) in Elberta, Alabama. I've already had a christening ceremony; although, as I was the only human participant, I suppose it was more like a christening ritual. I developed my own custom script, which appeals to the pertinent goddesses as well as the gods while only requiring one bottle. Feel free to use it for you own vessel:

RECHRISTENING CEREMONY

Oh Poseidon and Poseidia, mighty and great rulers of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, we implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (insert the former name of your vessel here), which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom.

As proof thereof, I submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea.

[PIN DRIVE is dropped from the STERN of the boat into the BAY.]

In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, I offer these libations to your majestIES and your court.

[Pour A MODEST SERVING OF Champagne into the sea from East to West.]

Oh Poseidon and Poseidia, mighty and great rulers of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, we implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (insert the new name of your vessel here), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.

In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesties and your court.

[POUR A GLASS OF CHAMPAGNE, DRINK IT WILL DISPENSING A BIT FROM West to East.]

Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel FINITY the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.

Great Boreas and Borelda, exalted rulers of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.

[TAKE A SWIG AND SPRAY A MIST NORTHWARD. (or more traditionally, fling a bit form a champaign flute) ]

Great Zephyrus and Zephyrite, exalted rulers of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath

[TAKE A SWIG AND SPRAY A MIST WESTWARD.]

Great Eurus and Europa, exalted rulers of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.

[TAKE A SWIG AND SPRAY A MIST EASTWARD.]

Great Notus and Notessa, exalted rulerS of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.

[TAKE A SWIG AND SPRAY A SUBSTANTIAL MIST SOUTHWARD.]

[champagne consumed, refilled bottle FROM FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH.]

Oh mighty Neptune AND Neptina, rulers AND protectors of the streams, rivers, ponds, lakes, springs, stills and wells, through whose purity of essence our frail bodies survive the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (your vessel) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.

[SWIG AND SPRAY MIST ALL ABOUT. REMOVE STENCIL!]

regards,
Agrippa

PS> My frugal ceremony was based up article found here: Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com

(with a tip of the hat to Peter Sellers).
Frugal Agrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 10:45   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Frugal christening

Welcome to the forum...maybe just go sailing
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 17:49   #3

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22
Re: Frugal christening

Welcome!

http://curioussailor.blogspot.com/
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote