Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 21:20   #1

G'day from Darwin !

Howdy - I'm yet another "seachange dreamer" that has just found this great looking site.

I've decided recently that I don't want to "rot in suburbia" and am planning (dreaming?) to live in a boat perhaps in a couple of years. I strongly suspect however that most of my notions about what I think I can do might not be strongly tied to reality!

So I'd value anyones thoughts on my current rough plan...

My current status in the 'burbs is that I'm married with 4 kids - 2 of which are now working and one is in his last year of school. My youngest son is 15 and will be with us for a few years yet (and is therefore a bit concerned about "living on a boat" in the future ). My wife is open to my "crazy idea" but will require proof it'll be financially and practically feasible... which is fair enough I guess...

So I'm thinking that in the next 2 years I'll just look at lots of boats, do some courses in sailing and get a coxwains (or whatever is required or good to do). Research lots of stuff so I'll both know better if I really want to do this and if so know more about how and what to do.

I'm not even sure if I would want to sail or motor or both yet. The idea of sailing appeals to me but the image in my minds eye of leaning right over through the swells doesn't really interest me - but perhaps a sailing course will enable me to know better. I also love the idea of some of these displacement cruisers with an economical speed. Something like ROBERTS WAVERUNNER boat details - BoatPoint Australia really appeals to me in my ignorance and all

I'm not "set" financially or anything like that - I may have $200k in my house in a couple of years after selling it. We both have above average paying jobs but nothing great. We currently don't save a penny but we have two many toys (paying of a 4wd, new quintrex barra boat etc, another car etc) so part of the plan is to get "back to basics" also.

I'm not a real practical "do it yourself" type person but I am thinking I'll have to become one to live in a boat (which will probably be an older one given my finances). I can service a car comfortably but thats pretty much it. I work in IT. I've owned a runabout type boat all my adults years - ranging from small centre consoles to a 6.5m bluewater tinny with an inboard diesel. So I know a bit about general boating and the sea etc but nothing in big boats or sailing, berthing etc. Me and my wife are aged 43.

My rough plan is to "sell up", and buy a boat for about $200k. I'd also get rid of the 4wd (lease over next year) and just keep the smaller car. I see that live aboard mooring fees for a boat this size in Darwin is about $1000/month which includes electricity etc. My mortgage, 4wd payments, electricity/rates etc are currently about $3000/month.

Longer term I don't want to live in a marina all the time but am thinking this is probably best shorter term to be close to the kids etc. I could walk to work in the city from the Marina and my wife could drive.

I'd like to spend weekends and holidays first just exploring the topend more - for eg the Tiwis and the Arnhem coast. And longer term I'd love to reach further to perhaps the Kimberlies and beyond.

I know I'll miss some bits of living in a large house but we did live in a caravan for a couple of years when first married so we're thinking of this as a caravan on water!

Anyways I've rambled on enough If anyone has any advice, or comments, negative or positive, I'd really appreciate them. I've got to be realistic about all this...
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 23:43   #2

Boat: Grainger, Chincogan,41
Re: Gday from Darwin!

Hi djambalawa
I am new here as well, I have taken the first step Nearly, and purchased a boat. You don't have to be on lean, consider a Catamaran. We take ownership of our first boat in July. We will be passing through Darwin in Mid July if you would like to have look over her to get an idea. Two of my kids have just left home which just leaves me with my youngest 14. he is taking term 3 off at school to help sail home to Perth.
Let me know if you would like to have a look over her and depending on timings (have to be in Broome in early August) an afternoon sail around the harbour??

Regards
Jason and Fiona
Bartlettsrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 23:55   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome aboard, both of you. Once you get those boats and move aboard, you will wonder whatever took you so long.

Djambawala: All you really need to worry about is at what age can you legally abandon that child if he refuses point blank to move onboard with you.

Jason and Fiona: As a teacher, I wish more parents would consider doing fantastic things with their kids like you are.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartlettsrise View Post
Let me know if you would like to have a look over her
Mate if it turns out with timings and everything I'd love to!

Thanks heaps.

And thanks saucy - thats an idea
djambalawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:11   #5

Boat: Grainger, Chincogan,41

Not a problem. will keep in touch via this when it gets closer..

Saucy,
I wish my sone felt the same way he really is not keen. I will have to make sure he feels worth while on board and doesnot become board. School has him doing an asignment for the trip logging each day with photo, as well as chart work to show his class when he gets back. and he is a little scared about being eaten by a croc
Bartlettsrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 11:23   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: G'day from Darwin !

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 24-05-2011, 13:46   #7

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: G'day from Darwin !

Welcome Aboard CF, have fun and enjoy the site...
Great place to be.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote