Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2016, 10:26   #1

Getting back into it

Hi guys,

Your forums were recommended to me by a friend when I told him about my plans to pick up a boat in the near future but had some questions. He pointed me here and I've been lurking for the past couple of days. Very cool community that is inspiring me quite a bit.

I grew up on the Long Island Sound in Bronx, NY piloting what I think was about a 17ft Grady White open bow with a Merc 250 outboard. I also had about an 8ft dingy that we put a Yamaha 25 outboard on. I was doing this and taking the boats out by myself at impossibly young ages and it has always been a real core part of my person.

Then high school, college and career happened and I haven't been on a boat in a very long time... that is until this summer's vacation. My in-laws recently bought a boat and brought it down to our vacation spot in South Carolina and they had no idea how to handle it. I was teaching them how to read the waves, anchor, dock, etc and I was happy to see I can still thread a needle with a small boat (~24ft Chapperral). This however launched a whole new desire in me now that I'm 32 with a 2 year old daughter who LOVED going out on the boat. Man, that feeling of being out on the water again just lit up in me, I really can't describe it

Anyway, I live in Richmond, VA where we have the deep water James River and I'm seriously considering picking up a substantial boat in the next year so I can take my family into the Chesapeake from our nearby marinas. I'll be browsing your info about boat selection, course plotting and maintenance trying not to hit any of those taboo "check the FAQ" type questions in the future.

Otherwise, i'm really excited to be even a small part of this really cool community.
Glacies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 11:30   #2

Boat: Grand Soleil 52
Re: Getting back into it

Good plan!

This forum also have a lot of info about boat selection:
https://www.morganscloud.com/

Old 05-08-2016, 04:55   #3

I was in the same boat I was formerly known as 25yearslater elsewhere since I to sold my boat and did the career house marriage kids thing. Then my wife had the audacity to be diagnosed with MS and our world cruise plans went kerphloowy. I contented myself with my current boat which needed a massive restoration. Now I cruise about Lake Ontario and consider myself fortunate my Mrs. encourages me to enjoy myself. It's never too late to get sailing again even if the plan changes a bit.
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Glacies.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote