Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2010, 22:21   #1
AJS

Boat: Stevens 47
Getting Back on the Water

Hi all,
I found this forum whilst looking for a cruising yacht to buy, and was glad to see so many kindred spirits.
Been ashore for the past nine years after 13yrs cruising, first in Sydney and now Gold Coast Hinterland, but the time to go back to sea is close (thank god!). Things have certainly changed in the cruising world during the past decade, even more so than when I set off over twenty years ago with a plastic sextant, a ten dollar digital watch and great expectations.
From what we have discovered so far, Aus is one of the more expensive places to buy at the moment. We would be really interested to hear others experiences/advice on buying in places such as the Caribbean & Central America. I seem to remember that the Caribbean was good value if you had the cash.
cheers
AJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 07:07   #2

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
Hiya and welcome to the forum .
I have no advice on where to buy cheaply , but if you have not come across these websites yet -boats.com and also yachts.com. They list boats around the world, useful for orientation what is out there.
Adax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 07:35   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome to the forum. Usually there are good deals anywhere one is, if you start looking. Seems like anyway. I suspect Florida might have some really good deals out there.
Old 20-06-2010, 07:48   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Welcome!

I've been back on land for the last 10 after cruising for 9 years. I'm looking at boats hard and plan on having one by the end of the year (hopefully sooner). I'm enjoying traveling and looking at boats, hoping to find "the one".

I've looked in the Caribbean and while there are some fair prices (I wouldn't call them good), getting them home or in what I call sailing condition seems more expensive than paying a few dollars more locally and saving on the repair costs.
Old 20-06-2010, 09:30   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi AJ,
Methinks the web has kind of levelled out global pricing in 2nd hand boats, but what they ask and what the take are still as different as it was.
I can advise we had an Aus pal buy a near new Hanse in the UK last summer for possibly A$200,000 less than he can sell it in Australia. He was lucky in his timing linked in with UK market depression, weak pound, keen buyer - right place right time etc.
Good luck with your search
JOHN
Old 20-06-2010, 15:20   #6
AJS

Boat: Stevens 47
Hi & thanks for the feedback guys,
I think you're right about the effect of the net swagman, it has leveled out many things. I guess it is a case of doing the research & looking & looking, which is a fun part of the journey anyway ....
AJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 12:18   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Boat shopping has become easier through the net and I've found that Southern California and Florida prices are the lowest in the U. S.. It seems, too, that if there is a popular west coast built boat for sale on the opposite coast that the price is lower.
Prices also seem to be lower in out of the way places such as the west coast of Mexico and sometimes the Carib..
Good luck.
kind regards,