Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2014, 13:45   #1

Going to make the Jump!

For me 2014 has been the year of change, among the most important. I got divorced, dissolved my Company, and We are selling our home. So here in a few months all the loose ends will be tied and I will have Zero to tie me down. Ten years ago when i was 19 i sold my car and wandered to Asia for some adventures, i spent six months backpacking. I learned more about myself than i could have imagined, and living out of a bag was freedom like i had never known.
So now.. what to do? what to do? oh i know. I'll sell everything i own and buy a sailboat and become a liveaboard cruiser. Then I will just wander off and get lost in the North American Pacific coastline for a year.. or so. I grew up inland and have no sailing experience but I have had a couple motor boats, I went to an automotive tech school, I have worked on boats, bikes, dragsters, daily drivers aircraft, I'm handy. What the heck. it all makes total sense.. right? haha I do feel like I'm probably a little nuts but really who isn't?? i have told my clients and a couple close friends but other than that it will be a surprise to the rest of my social network. I figure the less people know what I am up to at this point the less I will have to hear people try and talk me out of it.

Why sailing? Really, why not!
Since the first time i laid eyes on the ocean, swam in her cool salty water, she felt like home more than any other home. If i have vacation time, i want to be on or near the water. It just feels right. i suppose it has been a quiet almost religious obsession most of my life. i thought about renting a room on the coast somewhere but then I would be tied down. I am at a point in my life that i need to take some time and find myself, we all can so easily fall into the work routine with out ever learning who we are. I lost sight of what is important, i think this is a good way to take some time, figure some things out, learn some lessons, do a little travel, have adventures, make new friends, and most importantly find myself.

since I don't know what I am doing yet, but I trust where I am lost others will help me. I openly welcome any tips, advice, assistance, encouragement, $$ (lol) etc. I have an idea about whats ahead but other than that right now I have lots of questions! and lots to do! but if we went into our adventures with all the details laid out we would probably decide they are bad ideas haha. Besides the unknown is what makes it an adventure. life for me isn't about the destination, its about the journey and all the wonderful souls along the way!

Cheers and wish me luck! Thanks!
sailorgirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 13:51   #2

Re: Going to make the Jump!

Congrats on the life change and welcome aboard! Sounds like the start of an excellent adventure.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 15:02   #3

Boat: csy 37

We have several lady liveaboards here; sailorchic34 comes to mind, but I know there are others. I think there is also a ladies only thread here. Hopefully some searching may uncover them.

Not that I'm trying to push you in a certain direction, just saying that you are not alone or an oddball - well, any more odd than the rest of us.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 15:15   #4

That's great to know! I had been curious if there were many of us girls out there cruising! I will have to seek out more about that!
sailorgirl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 15:29   #5

Sorry about the divorce, but congratulations on the decision to venture out again. I hope you have a blast.

Just bought my first sailboat and I have no idea how to sail yet. No big adventure plans for me, as I just want to do a little sailing around the Chesapeake and have a place to go to on my off time.

Following seas good lady.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 15:57   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Your not the first.. Some "made it", some didn't.. Use the search and read old posts.. It will be enlightening..

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:30   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
Old 01-10-2014, 13:41   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Hey !!--everybody has to be someplace,--and this where you are right now . Take it easy, do some short coastal hops to learn the boat. Before you know it, you'll be in the Cook Islands

Welcome aboard.
Old 01-10-2014, 14:07   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sailorgirl,

Welcome aboard. You will find your mechanical aptitude a great asset with boat ownership.

There is a Facebook women who sail category, and on CF it is the Mermaids. I believe you'll find them under "Community" at the top of the page. Myself, I belong to the sewing group, for people who do their own canvas work, also under "Community."

Ann