Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2007, 17:51   #1

Boat: Cal 20- Pualani
Great forum!

I came across the 'What was your epiphany" thread and found it fascinating; after reading from the "outside", it motivated me to register and share my experience:

I started when I was nine years old. My uncle was the sailing instructor at Camp DeWitt, a summer camp in New Hampshire. I learned on a Lightning. 19 feet, all mahogany, a thing of beauty. We raced on Lake Winnipessaukee in Wolfeboro Bay. Never won anything but the thrill remained in my marrow.

One afternoon we were leaving the bay after the weekend beer can regatta. A squall came up behind us, producing three to four foot swells. Lake W is a good sized lake and the waves, at ten years old (my 2nd year sailing with him) looked HUGE. We raised the spinnaker and surfed that Lightning back to camp. I've been hooked ever since, spending my early teen years on a Sailfish at home in Florida.

My wife and I are on the fast track to selling the farm and hoisting the sail; however, we own a swimwear business and are thinking with the current technology, it might be feasible to maintain a creative and quasi-managerial rein on our business. INMARSAT, etc. could keep us connected. Fulfillment companies could cover our inventory, advertising and print needs. If there were a real problem one of us could jump on a plane and be there. The other option is to let some big-wigs acquire us and take the $$ and run. Whatever the case, we are moving aboard soon.

My wife & I have a Cal 20 here in Honolulu. We plan to sail her for another 18 months, then move onto a catamaran and cruise the South Pacific. Some folks say if you can sail Hawaiian waters, you can sail anywhere. I'll keep you posted on the veracity of that! In the meantime, I'll be poring over the knowledge, wisdom & experience around this forum, gleaning all I can for our big move.

I love the stories of the cruising community. The sense of camaraderie and the shared adventures stirs something visceral in me. I hope to meet some of you out there on the briny. Fair winds!
~~~

21 17.16N / 157 50.28W
gordolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 20:40   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha G,
Welcome aboard!! Cal 20s are fun!! Used to sail them at Hickam Harbor. We have a couple here in Reeds Bay on the Big Island.
If you've done interisland here in Hawaii you've pretty much done some big stuff. Not days at a time but at least you've got a taste of what the sea can dish out.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2007, 20:57   #3
Kai Nui

gordolphin, welcome aboard. Sounds like you have a great plan. Your idea sounds feasible. Take a look at the "boat based business" thread. Might be a good place to generate some dialog on your idea.
Old 24-01-2007, 02:31   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
It is amazing at how many of us have shared experiences. I too sailed Cal 20s, Rhodes 19s, Widgeons and such out of Hickem (mid 70's). Nothing beat a nice hot day in Pearl on a Widgeon when we would 'accidentally' get 'knocked down', turtling the boat and take our time righting it.

So... Aloha G. Welcome and enjoy!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote