Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 00:07   #1

Greetings for Northeast Pennsylvania

Hello All,

I'm in the very prelimnary planning of switching over from power boating to sailing. We currently have a jetboat that we enjoy on our local lakes and rivers and are looking at a more fuel effecient way of continuing our love of the water.

My wife and I are considering pocket cruisers. We would like to trailer it around. In addition to our local fresh waters we would like to sail protected waters in the NY/NJ area. Perhaps an old model Hutchings Com-Pac or a Potter would meet our needs...

Before making any purchaces I've decided to take the ASA 101 coarse to get a basic understanding of sailing before making any decisions. I need to consider and determine what type of physical abilities are needed to sail. Although I lead an active life, my stregnth is somewhat limited due to a heart disability.

I'm looking forward to being a member of the community. If anyone out there has similar disabilities and sails I'd like to hear from them.
NEPABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:18   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Bob! Tough decision to economize on teh boating costs but seeing the shoreline at 4 kts as opposed to 40 can be therapeutic ;-)

Sailing a smaller keelboat that is rigged for singlehanding does not have to be taxing at all although trailering and rigging a keelboat is probably more of a hassle than dumping a power boat in the water.

Welcome aboard!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 22:35   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Bob,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here and interested in sailing. Our club has a WWP 19 (Potter) and it really is a great little trailerable. Very forgiving and easily handled without too much exertion. I recommend the book "Start Sailing Right!" to get you in the sailing mode.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote