Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2008, 18:26   #1

Boat: HUNTER 37 LEGEND VOYGAER
GREETINGS FROM A "NEWBIE"....

Is that spelled right?...I'm taking to many drugs....Heart, Blood pressure, Soft Veins, Hard Arteries, Poor Eyesight, Bad hearing, Demenia....Did I say that already???? Damn, ain't life great? Hello everyone from a Landlocked Cajun SW Louisiana...Joking about the drugs really....well most of them...If I did what the Doctors and the V.A. wanted, I need a Pick Up truck just to visit the Pharmacist...Got a Sail Boat... Nice Big Sail Boat....and less than 3 hours from the Gulf of Mexico and FREEDOM...It's Hunter 37 Ledgend and singlehands easily...Now if I could just get out cell phone range before my bride realizes that I'm missing....AGAIN...
Hello every one...Did I say that before???...All foolishness aside...Just got the Hunter a year ago in Florida...Son said, "Dad I just bought a sailboat in Florida!" "How much will it cost to transport it here???" I quizzed. "Oh no, I just bought the airline tickets...and you are going to sail it back WITH ME...!!!! I ALMOST CHOCKED ON MY SUPPOSITORY and when I regained concousness, we were landing in Ft. Lauderdale...
Enough is Enough....I'll finish the story on "Liars Page"....there's got to be one here some where.... all these *#@***&% medicine bottles....
Respectfuly Submitted
Robert A.
ROBERT A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2008, 10:57   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Robert A.,
Welcome aboard! Looks like you've got some fun left in ya. Let us know how the trip goes.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 17:11   #3
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
Welcome Robert.

Great forum here and great people. They've sure made me feel welcome and I'm sure they will you also. Great sense of humour.

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 18:21   #4

Hello DEN....and thanks for the welcome
Figured after reading what I wrote on intro that no one would send a reply...probably figured I was some crazy whacko who had smelled to many diesel fumes....or really had O.D.ed on his medications......AIN'T LIFE A GAS ! ! ! ! speakin' of gas....I knew there was something else I had to take care of...............Don't be concerned thought...I'm fine now....wifes poodle is wheezing a little.....he'll get over it.......besides, it's pay back time....the little piece of french &^#**(^$ did it to me....IN THE SALON OF MY BUTTONED UP SAIL BOAT ONE RAINY EVENING....

CANADA EH? Supposedly my relatives came from Canada.....After the movie ROOTS came out, my brother decided to trace our lineage back....Back three genrations or so.....3 brothers comming out of Canada...One, a riverboat gambler got as far as New Orleans....One ended up in Oaklahoma and married into a Indian tribe.....The third was Hung in Kansas as a horse thief.....I think he was probably my great great grandfather.....at least my wife tells me I'm worthless....far as that, she says the same thing about my sail boat......come to think about it, she's says that about everything involving me....except that *&$%^# poodle of course.....They all probably were thrown out of Canada.....but why didn't they keep that *&%$^# poodle???

What kind of boat? I'd sail mine to Canada....Go up the Mississippi or sail around Florida.......Fuel prices are to high and I've crossed the Gulf of Mexico ONCE.....Ain't goin' to do that again anytime soon......Like trying to sail in a washing machine.....whew it got rough....What would it ake to entice some of you folks down this way?????

Again, Thanks for the courtesy and fellowship and lookin' forward to chatting again.......
Regards,
Robert
((*&*^*(% poodle
Old 17-06-2008, 18:50   #5

Greeetings SkiprJohn,
Thanks for the welcome all the way from Hawaii no doubt......Managed to spend a week in the Islands.....about 41 years ago....Yep, Tall Cotton I tell you....In a hotel right there on the Wakaki Beach....never did get wet thought.....come to think of it, I cann't recall seeing daylight either.....Yep, Had a belated Honeymoon of about a year....It was all free thought...courtesy of "Uncle Sam".....just cost me a year of my life in Southeast Asia.....I'm sure the Islands are beautiful.....Didn't get to see much....the little bride saw to that....Got to "enjoy" 4 consecutive Don Ho shows thought.....He had my wife come on stage and sang some (*^^$* love song to her...so I got to see every show until I had to leave......You know you can only take "Tiny Bubbles" so many times.......Is the Traders Market even still there now that Don has passed???
Seriously, the place is beautiful and I wish I could go back......Spent some time in the Service with a young girl (and I was young too) who was from one of the outer islands.......She told me about the beautiful places and things to do that most of the tourist never know about......was neat.. Once again, got off on a tangent.....Was awfully courteous of you to send a welcome to a "Howley"....Thanks......You can always expect that from an "Islander" (is that how it is spelled)
Peace,
Robert

PS Sorry,I keep thinkin' every one is my age.....Don Ho was a super person, and I hope you are old enough to know what I was jabberin' about....
Old 17-06-2008, 19:14   #6

HEY DEN....
Just got off the Meet & Greet....Happy Birthday fella......but most of all take care of that "ticker".....Had my first heart attack at the age of 49....same as you...genetics.......5 days in a coronary unit and you'd be surprised how priorities and the view of life changes......Take care of yourself, Enjoy Life......
About sailing, read, read, read, watch videos....over and over and over....but all the academics will never "teach" you to sail......that has to be experienced.....get a boat, what ever you can afford, get in the water and make the mistakes...because they are the "teachers"......
Peace and our prayers,
Robert A.
Old 18-06-2008, 01:40   #7
Den

Boat: Dreaming of one day owning a 25-30 footer.....
Thank you Robert.

I'll be quite happy with a mid 20s boat as it'll be better than dreaming about it! Heehee.

I used to dream endlessly about a liveaboard and how I wanted to do it. My wife is deathly afraid of deep water so THAT idea might be pretty unrealistic, along with having 3 small girls tor raise. BUT. It's no longer an excuse to not do ANYTHING! I just had to lower my expectations and sights a little....(?)

And it may be a few years before we pull it off, but yet again, we CAN now pull off what I thought would always remain a dream.

My wife may never sail with me but at least she completely supports MY having "the dream" and that's good enough for me.

As someone who lives off about 9 different pills a day, I get a kick out of your posts even more so.

"Life's a gas."-The Ramones.
Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2008, 07:10   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Robert,
Welcome and look forward to more info on your ongoing sailing experiences.
Cheers
JOHN