Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2009, 19:46   #1

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
Greetings from BC Canada

Well I finally bought a hole in the water to sink money into. As a kid my brothers had electric toy motorboats. I had a toy sailboat. Always dreamed of owning one.

After many years of substance abuse, I took control of my life and started to improve my lot in life. Started a great job at decent pay too. Vowed to buy my first used boats in 2 years as a birthday present to myself. I met and actually beat my goal by about 2 months.

So now i am the happy owner of an older Coronado 25. Figured first boat I would not go overboard. Being a little older I will be learning to do more repairs and upgrades than if I bought something too new (ok don't all you seasoned sailors fall on the floor laughing at that naive remark).

When I decided to become a sailboat owner (not a sailor yet by any means) I thought some lessons might be handy. So I took the CYA basic cruising course and PCOC. This fall is coastal navigation and next spring, advanced cruising course.

Anyway, in 3 weeks I have been out once (see Don't rely on Engines). I have been doing minor things that are important. Checking all the lines, replacing where necessary. Checking all the hoses, pumps, electrics, ensuring all the CG equipment is up to par.

Now its getting close to sail and enjoy.

I live in Maple Ridge, a suburb sorta of Vancouver. I am about 35 miles from Vancouver, 45 from Gibsons, where I am moored. Its a beautiful area whether I take the boat out or not. Inexpensive shorefront property LOL

I work all week doing mental activity, coaching people with multiply barriers in life skills and employment skills. The weekend is MY time to unwind and maintain sanity.

Long term goal, work my way up to a 30 or 35 foot boat and eventually live aboard. I am setting this as a 5 year goal. I made my 2 year goals so no reason not to make my next goal.

I managed to snag a weeks vacation time in August, should be perfect for a bit of exploring of Howe Sound, Gulf Island, cross the strait to Vancouver Island. The possibilities are endless.
canuck1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 21:08   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome to the forum,
I'm a nurse, I totally understand about "me" time, after giving so much of yourself at work coming home to a boat bobbing in the slip is just about the greatest thing next to actually taking her out
Congrats on your boat purchase a coranado is a great starter boat, she will spoil you rotten with her ease of sailing, BTW have you named her yet?
Great to have you here,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 21:53   #3

She is named and I have heard NOT to rename a boat (bad mojo). Seileaster is gaelic/celtic??? Scottish for Wild Iris.
Old 19-06-2009, 22:13   #4

Boat: Cascade
Congrats

You'll have a great time checking out the local anchorages. May I suggest Port Graves on Gambier Island good holding in mud and sand and plenty of room. Keats is right across form you and your a straight shot across Georgia Staight to Sylvabay.
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009, 22:18   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome aboard Canuck1955! I have heard two different schools of thought on the name change taboo, first one is "Don't do it, bad juju." The second is "Change the name and change the luck." So if the first one applies then you shouldn't change the name. If the second one applies then you can't change the name unless the boat has bad luck, and you can't know that until you have had her for awhile, plus it looks like a fine name for a plucky vessel.
Old 19-06-2009, 22:18   #6

Boat: Cascade
Reed point

If you find it to far to go to Gibsons. Reed Point is nice and close and puttering around in Indian Arm afterwork isn't too bad etither.
Solitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 10:00   #7

I thought of Reed Point, but its still 'the city'. I don't mind the drive at all, Upper levels is a nice highway. I spent 10 years driving cab and 2 driving a bus, so driving is not a chore. Get decent gas mileage in my car so I don't care about fuel costs. I was actually looking at a couple of boats at Reed Point but opted out.

Psychologically, the difference is enormous. Reed Point, I sail and see houses, skyscrapers, Vancouver, oil refinery.

Gibsons I see mountains, oceans, trees, mountains, Arbutus trees, small hamlets hugging the shoreline on the islands.

So for me it came down to convenience vs not really inconvenient and paradise. hmmmmm tough one LOL Oh yeah, what I save on moorage can go towards my next boat or lots of money for this boat, hahahahha.

Now if I gave up smoking too, I could really move up fast but thats not what its all about, is it? Its loving what you have, not dwelling on what you don't have.

In addition, maybe semi retirement in 5 years full retirement in 10. By then I will be ready to liveaboard and the drive takes care of a full day of sailing if I want to head northward up the coast. Only inconvenience is the need to sail into Vancouver for hull cleaning, bottom painting.....Gibsons won't allow it anymore
Old 20-06-2009, 11:11   #8

Boat: S2 35c
Welcome aboard. A though on name change . Think of how you vessels name will sound over a VHF . Can it be understood ( and spelled correctly) by Coast Guard in an emergency.
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 14:10   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I had to rename one of my old boats because it was insulting to the boat. The boat was happy when I renamed her. I am in the process of renaming Ocean Girl (previou name was Lauren Leigh) Here is a link if you decide to change it and are worried about bad mojo (I followed this tradition) 48° Vigor's Interdenominational Boat Denaming Ceremony . Your boats name is pretty but like Captain58sailing said spend some time with the boat, she'll tell you.
Have fun,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 11:56   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Isn't it strange that normally unsuperstitious folks become superstitious once they become boatowners.
Good to have you here. You've got a beautiful area to sail in.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 21:40   #11

hey Captain Canuck! We are also new to this lifestyle, just moved aboard yesturday! Wow it is keeping us busy. We are moored in richmond, too far from anything, how is the moorage out your way?

Anna
From the Blue Tango
BlueTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 22:25   #12

Congrats on the boat. I think you're smart. Sailboat are good for you're head. I think your first boat is somewhat like your first car. You will never forget it even it it has many faults. The other thing about owning you first boat is that it will teach you so much. You will be surprised what you will learn in a year.

Oh, and one more thing; you're a sailor now if you think so or not. You're a sailor sunshine.
Solosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 22:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTango View Post
hey Captain Canuck! We are also new to this lifestyle, just moved aboard yesturday! Wow it is keeping us busy. We are moored in richmond, too far from anything, how is the moorage out your way?

Anna
From the Blue Tango

Richmond.

Problems with the mud flats out that way? Today on Ch 16 listening to the coast guard and a boat discussing their problem 46' Power boat ran aground. Luckily it was just starting to flood, so they were recommended to set an anchor so they would be blow furthr into the shallows and await the rising tide.

I looked at one of the river marinas and decided it was too far to travel downriver and back up (1- 1.5 hrs each way). Then making sure you don't run aground on Spanish Banks or Roberts Banks. Spanish banks is great for swimming. On the flood tide the incoming water is warm from the flats, but for sailing I am not so sure.

No moorage available right now in Gibsons. I got mine because the previous owner retired from sailing AND her brother in law owns the marina.
You might look at Heather or Burrard Marinas in false creek, or go up Burrard Inlet to Reed Point but then its an hours sail/motoring back to English Bay. Mosquito Creek in North Van I beleive has some openings.

Tags
Canada, british columbia