Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 13:29   #1

Greetings from Florida!

My husband and I will soon be closing on our first catamaran, and I am so excited! Do have a question or two tho, if someone can help ...
He has some prior sailing experience, altho on a smaller boat than the Gemini105mc. I have no prior sailing experience, a little power boat experience. Just for our own knowledge and safety, an ASA certified class would be a good idea. But will it lower our insurance rates any after taking it?
Second question, I am a wimp. I expect to be warm at night, and away from shore power we have no heat. This would require a generator. Could someone recommend a good one? Space is at a premium, so it must be small-ish.
I look forward to reading more on these forums, learning as I go. Altho nothing can compare to the on the job training I'll get once we start sailing her!
spidercrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 14:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Greetings from Florida!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, spidercrab.
1. Ask your insurance company.
2. Cuddle & cover up.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 05:50   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard! We have enjoyed our 105Mc going on 8 years, including trips up and down the ICW and trips to the Bahamas...feel free to ask me anything (here or in a private message).

The courses are a good idea if you have little experience, whether it lowers your insurance rates or not. A boating safety course usually lowers your rates a bit...check with the insurance company to see if they discount for the ASA courses.

We have a 3000-watt designed to be quiet, and also have a thick mat to further absorb vibration; however, it's still quite noisy as it runs in the still of night. Expect some very disappointed looks from other boats the next morning if you're in a well-used anchorage! We make sure to find a secluded spot when we need it, or else break out the sweats, hats, and comforters...or find a marina and plug in.

If you're planning to do a lot of cooler weather anchoring, you may consider installing a propane or diesel heater (vented of course!). You might check the gemini list-serve for different ideas on installation. You might even go for one of those tiny wood stoves for boats...I'd worry too much about the smoke and ash above deck, as well as space to store wood (although the wood is pretty much free along the shoreline).

Congrats on your new Gem!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 06:26   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

All insurance companies will ask about formal classes or certifications... Some will just note it down... Others will adjust your premium without a specific formula... and a few will tell you exactly what it will save you... i.e. AAA gives (gave) 10%

Welcome aboard CF!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 07:41   #5

We hopefully won't be out in cold weather with it much. But here in Northwest FL it does get cold. Forecast low of 35 tomorrow night, and extended forecast for next weekend, when we plan on bringing her home, has a low of 52, with showers. Sounds like a cold, damp, miserable ... altho memorable! trip home
Old 30-01-2013, 08:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

cold+coffee+whiskey+Baileys=cold+happy

Old 30-01-2013, 11:26   #7

Thanks for the reminder!! I've been making lists of supplies. I remembered coffee, forgot the whiskey and Baileys. How careless of me!
Old 30-01-2013, 13:22   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Again... Proof positive how invaluable CF can be... We merely pass on the knowledge gleaned through our mistakes and personal tragedies...

Old 30-01-2013, 14:29   #9

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Some insurance companies will lower your premiums if you successfully complete 3 ASA courses, with hands on sailing experience; you need to ask and compare prices. As for being warm on a boat...you need a few wool hats, sweaters and waterproof anti-foul gear. If you get sunburned, you'll be shivering even if it is 90F outside; superficial vein dilation causes that. Next question...Ask away! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 18:38   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Many insurance companies offered discounts for taking the Coast Guard Auxiliary Basic Boating Course but as others have said, it's up to the insurance company.
kind regards,
Old 11-02-2013, 03:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Many insurance companies offered discounts for taking the Coast Guard Auxiliary Basic Boating Course but as others have said, it's up to the insurance company.
kind regards,
We brought her home this weekend. What a wonderful trip!! Motored mostly but did put the sails up once we got to the openness and familiarity of the bay. Only real issue is that pitiful excuse of a bed. Sleeping on the floor would be as comfortable! Suggestions?
Back to the insurance... we decided to take a 3 day course this spring which will give us our ASA 1&2 certs. And our ins co. agreed to adjust our premiums upon proof of completion. Another trip back to Panama city.. darn the luck!
Old 12-02-2013, 17:55   #12

Wow, congrats on the purchase.
Old 12-02-2013, 18:03   #13

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
For your second question many cruisers love the honda eu2000 companion model. Its powerful enough for most smaller ac systems. Light and incredibly quiet. Get the companion model as it has the a higher amp plug and is only $100 more than the standard model. A close second is the new yamaha 2000 genny. Pretty nice and good warranty. But from a financial perspective these will run 6-7 hours on a gallon of gas. You can get a small coleman portable propane heater that will run 6-7 hours on 1lb of propane. $3.65 gal gas or $2.50 for 1lb of propane heater (rough est) and no noise. Personaly we use both. Propane for enough heat to get the cabin toasty than we turn it off before bed. Genny is Great for ac and batt charging.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 18:14   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Greetings from Florida!

Hi there Spidercrab.. Welcome to CF..
& Enjoy...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida