Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2013, 07:54   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510
Greetings from Long Island

Hello all,

I've been a long time lurker here, and I figured it was time to join and introduce my self...

Last year I bought myself a 1993 Beneteau Oceanis 510. It is a three cabin layout (non-charter version) that has been privately owned since new. The boat is currently "cruising" the south shore of Long Island. I'm hoping this summer to get out at least twice a week and overnight somewhere every other weekend, although the south shore, doesn't leave many options!

After one season of sailing that got off to a rough start, I was able to work out the bugs which included having to rebuild the transmission before I was able to get in my first sail, and a furling main that kept jamming. The latter being due to the fact that furling mainsails are new to me, and possibly due to the sail being stored in its bag and getting a crease on the luff that kept folding over and jamming in the slot.

After going up the mast twice to unjam it, I got it working. I also found that if its a minor jam (ie: not being ham-fisted) I could lock the outhual and yank down on the end of the boom, and that usually clears it up without having to go up the mast.

Now that I got the major bugs worked out, its time to continue the slow process of upgrading, and playing with the extras. And that's why I decided to join, to tap into the vast knowledge of the members here.

Some Pictures and some info...

OCEANIS 510 (BENETEAU) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 08:10   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Greetings from Long Island

Welcome to CF

Tell me you didn't clime someone else's yacht just to get a photo of yours

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 08:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Welcome to CF

Tell me you didn't clime someone else's yacht just to get a photo of yours

Pete
Thanks! No, I was not up there just to get a picture. I went up to replace a spinnaker halyard that got frayed and fell during Sandy. While up there I heard my phone ring, I forgot to take it out of my pocket. So after taking the call, I figured, hey, I got my phone, let me take a picture.

Now in these pictures, I went up the mast on my dad's boat for soul purpose of taking pictures. I got a new fish-eye lens and wanted to play.

Old 27-12-2013, 10:09   #4

Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible

Why don't you find a marina on the north shore (Long Island isn't that wide). That would open up a lot of cruising options...LL
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 12:07   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and thanks for the nice photos. Very good.
You've found out why I'm not too in love with in the mast furling mainsails.
kind regards,
Old 27-12-2013, 13:35   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterHoursNLCT View Post
Why don't you find a marina on the north shore (Long Island isn't that wide). That would open up a lot of cruising options...LL
There is definitely more cruising on the sound, and have been up that way many times. I do like that there is an abundance of sailboats, compared to the maybe three dozen on the south shore. But I always enjoyed the day sailing in the ocean. Plus I live on the south shore, and as narrow as LI is, with no traffic, I would be lucky to get to the north shore in 45 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and thanks for the nice photos. Very good.
You've found out why I'm not too in love with in the mast furling mainsails.
kind regards,
Yeah, the furling main (either in-mast or in-boom) was not my first choice, but I got a good deal on the boat! Ideally, I would have prefered what my father has, the Tides Marine sailtrack with a stack pack. With the winch on the mast, its a breeze, as long as you're vertically blessed, but a few strategically located steps solves that.
Old 27-12-2013, 13:53   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

First time lurker posters usually don't have a boat... let alone something like a 510... You're way behind salty slacker!

Thanks for the shots... Great pics !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 14:46   #8

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

A 510 is a monster for the GSB! Is that Patchogue?

You'll often find me either anchored off of Gardiners Park, or anchored in that 'hole' next to Atlantique for the weekend. It's easy enough to get out the inlet now that it's been dredged (whew!).

On my way to BI, I'll often pull into Shinnecock for the night. It's about 8 hours from FI, so if you leave FI between high and slack, you'll have a nice easy slide into Shinnecock Bay (I wouldn't attempt either inlet when the tide is outgoing!). There, I anchor just west of the fishing fleet and take the dinghy to the restauraunts.

IMO, cruising between the forks is even nicer than the north shore. We've become quite fond of Greenport and Coecles Harbor.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 08:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
First time lurker posters usually don't have a boat... let alone something like a 510... You're way behind salty slacker!

Thanks for the shots... Great pics !
Thanks! So what your saying is I should have joined last year when all I had was a Laser II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
A 510 is a monster for the GSB! Is that Patchogue?

You'll often find me either anchored off of Gardiners Park, or anchored in that 'hole' next to Atlantique for the weekend. It's easy enough to get out the inlet now that it's been dredged (whew!).

On my way to BI, I'll often pull into Shinnecock for the night. It's about 8 hours from FI, so if you leave FI between high and slack, you'll have a nice easy slide into Shinnecock Bay (I wouldn't attempt either inlet when the tide is outgoing!). There, I anchor just west of the fishing fleet and take the dinghy to the restauraunts.

IMO, cruising between the forks is even nicer than the north shore. We've become quite fond of Greenport and Coecles Harbor.
Not the Great South Bay, I was in Hewlett Bay, in East Rockaway. The GSB would be tight, 6' draft and 65'9" air draft, have to play the tide to get under RM causeway. But I do like the Sore Thumb, but in the afternoon after the power boaters clear out. Had an interesting night there about 15 years ago. I was on my fathers boat rafted up next to another C42, and around 3 AM, a drunk power boater was circling around us screaming "Hey sailors, wake up." His wake caused the rigging to bang into each other. Luckily no damage was done.

Greenport is really nice, and is where the PO kept the boat. If I didn't live and work so far from Greenport, I would keep the boat there. Its a great place to jump off for cruising north. I just now, if the boat was there, I would not use it as much. And across the bay in Dering Harbor is nice too. I also like the Atlantic Highlands, even though there is not much to do. Its a nice relaxing sail there, and an easy destination.
Old 28-12-2013, 08:47   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
Thanks! So what your saying is I should have joined last year when all I had was a Laser II.
Yea... Something like that!!!!

This may be however ... a bit of this "pot" is calling your kettle color... Cause I wasn't on CF when I was racing lasers and 420's around at Kings Point ....

Of course that was decades before CF was around... SO I may have an excuse...

Old 28-12-2013, 14:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Yea... Something like that!!!!

This may be however ... a bit of this "pot" is calling your kettle color... Cause I wasn't on CF when I was racing lasers and 420's around at Kings Point ....

Of course that was decades before CF was around... SO I may have an excuse...
I've been sailing my whole life, so I'm not exactly a noob at this whole sailing thing, though I definitely have room to grow! Most of my experience has been on my fathers Catalina 42 cruising around Long Island. Nothing offshore, the closest thing being straight runs from East Rockaway to Block Island, and ER to Norfolk. And, of course, various dinghys. I used to captain/crew an Ocean 58 for a few seasons, that I've only seen go out fishing once!

Anyways, I used to be very active in the forums that I belonged too, but I grew tired of the BS and the endless flame wars about stupid stuff that did nothing but clutter up otherwise useful threads. So now I generally lurk and refrain from posting, unless I'm seeking advice that I could not find an answer too, or to pass on knowledge to some one else in need. Or I take it to off-topic sections!
Old 28-12-2013, 14:50   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
I've been sailing my whole life, so I'm not exactly a noob at this whole sailing thing, though I definitely have room to grow! Most of my experience has been on my fathers Catalina 42 cruising around Long Island. Nothing offshore, the closest thing being straight runs from East Rockaway to Block Island, and ER to Norfolk. And, of course, various dinghys. I used to captain/crew an Ocean 58 for a few seasons, that I've only seen go out fishing once!

Anyways, I used to be very active in the forums that I belonged too, but I grew tired of the BS and the endless flame wars about stupid stuff that did nothing but clutter up otherwise useful threads. So now I generally lurk and refrain from posting, unless I'm seeking advice that I could not find an answer too, or to pass on knowledge to some one else in need. Or I take it to off-topic sections!
You've got more than enough water under your keel to be as experienced as the most of us!

It doesn't get too BS-ey or flamey here... I did have a few posts deleted, one in which I call myself a retard.... (oops... sorry mods... mentally challenged).... Apparently in my self degradation, I should have used a more PC word.... Really????

Tags
Long Island