Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 17:33   #1

Greetings from New Hampshire! - Newbie Here!

Hello all!

My name is Nathan! I'm currently located in New Hampshire. My wife and I have given it some thought, and have decided we'd like to buy a Trawler and live aboard! Now, I know what you must be thinking... New England living aboard... that'll be tough! You're probably right! That's why we're here! We've met a few folks via the net, and found some good information already. We have an idea on what size boat we're looking for, (30'-40'), and have settled on the idea of a single diesel engine, depending on what's available and what we can afford. Neither of us have much boating experience, but we're eager to learn! We've already realized it's going to be difficult finding a Marina around this area that not only offers year round slips, but also accepts live aboards, which is another reason we decided to come here for help! I'll be looking through these forums almost every day for information, and anything you post on here will be much appreciated! Just please be kind, especially if you don't believe in our cause. I understand it won't be easy but we're up for the challenge.
NathanNoonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 14:49   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Greetings from New Hampshire! - Newbie Here!

Welcome!

No, it won't be easy. But there are a number of places around here where folks live aboard year-round, so you know it can be done. Your other post already has quite a few of those places listed.

Beyond the obvious issues like just getting around snowy decks with your groceries and such, one problem is condensation. Most boats aren't well insulated, and adding more isn't usually very easy. The cold overhead and sides will condense a lot of moisture out of the air. It can drip on you, and even freeze.

Then there's getting water to the boat, and pumping out the holding tank.

Some folks shrink-wrap the boat in the water, leaving a door of course. Something to consider.

People do it, and it's all very manageable. You sound like you've talked it over and are both willing to take on the challenge. No reason not to give it a try!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Nathan.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:02   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Nathan!

It sounds like you have a dream, and one many of us share. Learning from what you can read on this forum can help that dream become a reality.

If you get discouraged, just remember that some people live aboard in extreme conditions and remote locations (e.g. Alaska, etc.) So, it can be done.

Bon Voyage on the Forum and on the water too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote